Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just looking at the regulations on administration etc as obviously the outcome of this process could impact critically on us (very different in the event of liquidation of course).

First looking at the issue of the local MP and the leader of the local council asking Cameron to intervene and instruct HMRC to withdraw their application for a winding-up petition (due before the courts on 20th Feb) - if the administrators had responded promptly and sought to deal with HMRC BEFORE THE PETITION WAS ADVERTISED (it isn't made public until a week after the application to the court was made and the club notified) then HMRC might have cut a deal and could have withdrawn the petition. However, once the petition is advertised it is my understanding that HMRC as the petitioner cannot withdraw its application without the permission of the court. Advertising of the petition also means that anyone else who is owed money can apply to the court to join the petition so even if HMRC withdrew someone else could continue the petition on their own behalf. In that event they would potentially get claim to monies from any resultant liquidation and HMRC would (potentially) lose their place in the queue. If that reading of the rules is correct then DC cannot instruct HMRC to withdraw as the process has already gone beyond the (advertising the petition) point of no return. It also means that for HMRC to withdraw at any point from there onwards would be to risk any claim to money from a subsequent liquidation and that would be a very dangerous position to put themselves in as guardians of the public purse.

As to the ability of Portsmouth FC to enter administration - if they applied to go into admin before the winding up petition was published they could have done so via a postal application BUT because they did nothing (seemingly) they now HAVE TO APPLY IN PERSON TO THE COURT for permission to enter administration and that appears likely not to be given without a full court hearing. They got away with it last time which makes doing so again distinctly improbable.

It does now seem less likely that they will receive validation allowing them to access their bank accounts prior to the scheduled hearing on 20th Feb or that they will be permitted the let out of going into administration (effectively stopping the winding up petition in its tracks) ahead of the hearing.. That all means that on 20th February they will face a full winding up petition before the courts without any protection. At that stage if there are no other petitioners, HMRC could still deal on the debts they are owed in exchange for either immediate payment in full or in part (but you would think it would have to be a very large part with another quarter (another £800K) imminent. HMRC might of course seek to set a precedent and agree to seettle based on scheduled payments as a preferential creditor. However the football authorities would not allow this and if a deal was cut on that basis Pompey might risk losing the golden share that entitles them to league membership so it seems an unlikely compromise. Of course if other petitioners join then HMRC cannot afford to deal.

Realistically if a last ditch deal can be reached at the court it is now likely to be at the cost of a substantial payment to HMRC; at very best administration; and at worst liquidation. What seems least likely now is that they will find a new owner or a substantial influx of funds (unless Chanrai has a change of heart and decides to fund the club as a going (money-losing) concern.

If administration is an outcome (and I can only see that happening if Chanrai takes up ownership responsabilities and pays HMRC whilst accepting that they are otherwise insolvent) the Supporters Trust appear to be convinced there will be no more than a 10 point deduction but that to me appears optimistic given their history. Of course should a higher points deduction be made the club will threaten a legal challenge on the basis that their previous administration was under EPL not FL jurisdiction. My feeling however is that, as the two entities are totally inter-dependent that challenge would fail. Ten points takes them into relegation territory. 15 would dump them adrift at the bottom and probably assure relegation.

The other outcome, liquidation, means we lose points gained against them but so do others and at this stage of the season it probably balances out give or take. I would love to see the real effect if anyone can work it out. though. Pompey Supporters Trust have a Plan B which sees a phoenix club starting again, still at Fratton Park (may or may not be practical) and attracting 8000 fans a week to matches in the Conference South (!!). For that to happen there is a very narrow window (21 days I think) for them to register with the FL and if they fail their starting point is going to be way lower down the football pyramid and possibly financially untenable as the club they currently are.

'Ees complicated, as Gus would say, but for certain it will be very interesting to follow what happens over the next 13 days to see if a miracle can happen but as every day passes the outcome looks less and less promising and as it stands my guess would be that the opportunity for administration may have been allowed to pass with the only games left in town being for Chanrai to cover the HMRC debt in the hope of eventually getting a buyer or (if he feels that it would be a case of good money after bad) then liquidation.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I live in Gosport so Portsmouth's fate is a daily topic of conversation. The fans I speak to seem to be coming to the conclusion that the situation is quite dire, although they are still in denial about being relegated to a division lower than League 2, quoting the local Police as saying that Portsmouth are 'too big a club for xxx division'.

I've started referring to them as Southsea Wanderers; I think I may get a punch on the face soon!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
[MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION] very interesting and highly informative read. Although their fans have been completely apathetic for years now while various apparently rich men messed up their club, it would still be a huge tragedy if they were to be liquidated.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Despite the fact local Governments are being screwed into the ground with reduced funding, causing a whole range of services to be slashed or cut back, Mr Administrator seems to think the local Council should cough up Council money to bail out the black hole financial basket case that is Portsmouth FC & whatever Holding company happens to own them this week.

Andronikou asks for council funds to help Pompey - Pompey Past - The News

Who said they were clueless when it comes to financial reality?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I occasionally have a look at the Portsmouth Evening News site to see whats happening and its amazing that even now the comments from the so called best fans in the world who still don't seem to have, (or want to have), a grasp on whats happening.

To give two examples today they are now planning on asking the Government to buy Fratton Park and lease it back at a nominal rent so that the club can carry on. The argument was, 'well they bailed out the banks, so why not us', priceless. I can just see Cameron rising up at PM Question time to confirm that there still cutting benefits for the disabled, closing the odd hospital and school, but on the plus side they are going to buy a crappy football ground!

Another of the fans is saying that it would not be right for Portsmouth to have to start again in a lower league such as the Conference because they are probably the biggest club outside the top 6 or 7 in the Premiership.! Yer right!

Like most on here I would hate to see any club go to the wall, but honestly as far as Pompey are concerned I would be happy to make an exception. Why can't they get it through their heads that they sat back over the years accepting without question that the club was being shafted and buying success using money they didn't have and even now still believing they are too big to be allowed to fail.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure they can't get their grubby little hands on the next parachute payment because its already earmarked to go to pay the creditors from the last debacle. I think that was part of the agreement last time that it had to go to pay the CVA and they wouldn't get so much as a sniff.

Ah OK. I thought I read something by a Pompey fan the other day which suggested a couple of million was winging their way as we speak.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I love reading the comments on that Pompey News website. This one is PRICELESS

The government shouldn't and won't buy Fratton Park. Let's forget about it. But you know what our saviour will be? The Olympics. They will provide the most amazing showcase for sport in this country, and by the time they're finished overseas investors will be queuing up to get a piece of the action, even if 'the action' is a club as wonky as ours. All we need (and Chainrai is no idiot so he'll realise this) is enough funding to keep the taxman sweet and pay players until the end of the season. It will cost him a few million, but I reckon that by the end of August he'll be able to slap a £50m price tag on the club and someone will pay it.

:laugh: Hahahahahahaahahahahahaaaaa

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
‘It would give Pompey more time and it would be the right thing to do, because we are not in this situation because of anything the club has done.

‘This is down to its parent company and is different than last time.’

What a crock of shit. Even the Councillors are deluded.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The statements by Pompey fans and the local media are getting more and more bizarre as they realise their options have run out and the club is now in 'injury time' with HMRC about to blow the final whistle.

In reality the only real option is for Chainrai to dig deeper and pay off the debts to HMRC etc - or to find another billionaire who has more money than sense. Neither of which seem likely.

Why aren't their fans doing something more dramatic to seize the headlines?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Just reading their manager's comments after last night's defeat:

I would imagine – I don’t know but I would imagine – there were plenty of people there last night having their eye on a few of our players.

‘You would expect that because people know the situation we are in.

‘From our point of view, we will try to be guarded in terms of me keeping the players concentrated on what they’re doing rather than worrying about what other clubs are interested in them and whether they are going to end up elsewhere.
The way we have to look at it is, until someone comes in with offers for our players, then we’re just going to work every day with the 17 players I’ve got at the minute.

‘Ipswich might come back in but if that is the case, we just have to use a contingency plan in terms of having players ready to get on loan from other football clubs.

If we do lose three players, surely the Football League aren’t going to allow us have 12 or 13 players in our squad?

Clearly Portsmouth are too big a club to have to promote players from their youth team

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Clearly Portsmouth are too big a club to have to promote players from their youth team
They've got about 30 academy players to choose from. Any other club would use them as a last resort so why cant Pompey ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Today's update...................

PFA seek answer to Pompey wages woe - Pompey Past - The News

Pompey boss braced for administration - Local Business - The News

Other than the fantastic photo of seagulls shitting over Portsmouth FC (that really is an inspired editorial selection :) ) I do wonder whether they are already too late to apply for administration. They would have to demonstrate that they can afford to remain operational and pay the administrators' costs etc while continuing to seek a new buyer and also that there is some real signs of there being a potential buyer. Failing that they are technically and practically insolvent and liquidation looms ever closer.

Not convinced by the PFA's awareness of the financial situation and the availability of parachute payments to the club as these were previously ring-fenced in the main by the FA to pay previous football-related debts. For Taylor to talk about the issues as the responsibility of previous club owners also seems to ignore the role of the current management and owners plus the administrator in paying excessive wages and (right up to yesterday) denying that it would be a responsible course to utilise development players ahead of highly paid transfers in and rather than agree to sending players out either permanently or on loan and thereby cutting their operating costs to manageable levels. As we speak the club at all levels continues to operate wilfully beyond its means.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It looks like Chainrai doesn't have the readies to pay off what is currently owed to HMRC so his only option is to take the club into administration before HMRC is successful with their winding up order. Why is the PFA muttering about £16M in parachute payments due from the PL being advanced ? I though these payments were set aside by the PL to pay off the creditors from Pompey's last CVA.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Just looking at the regulations on administration etc as obviously the outcome of this process could impact critically on us (very different in the event of liquidation of course).

First looking at the issue of the local MP and the leader of the local council asking Cameron to intervene and instruct HMRC to withdraw their application for a winding-up petition (due before the courts on 20th Feb) - if the administrators had responded promptly and sought to deal with HMRC BEFORE THE PETITION WAS ADVERTISED (it isn't made public until a week after the application to the court was made and the club notified) then HMRC might have cut a deal and could have withdrawn the petition. However, once the petition is advertised it is my understanding that HMRC as the petitioner cannot withdraw its application without the permission of the court. Advertising of the petition also means that anyone else who is owed money can apply to the court to join the petition so even if HMRC withdrew someone else could continue the petition on their own behalf. In that event they would potentially get claim to monies from any resultant liquidation and HMRC would (potentially) lose their place in the queue. If that reading of the rules is correct then DC cannot instruct HMRC to withdraw as the process has already gone beyond the (advertising the petition) point of no return. It also means that for HMRC to withdraw at any point from there onwards would be to risk any claim to money from a subsequent liquidation and that would be a very dangerous position to put themselves in as guardians of the public purse.

As to the ability of Portsmouth FC to enter administration - if they applied to go into admin before the winding up petition was published they could have done so via a postal application BUT because they did nothing (seemingly) they now HAVE TO APPLY IN PERSON TO THE COURT for permission to enter administration and that appears likely not to be given without a full court hearing. They got away with it last time which makes doing so again distinctly improbable.

It does now seem less likely that they will receive validation allowing them to access their bank accounts prior to the scheduled hearing on 20th Feb or that they will be permitted the let out of going into administration (effectively stopping the winding up petition in its tracks) ahead of the hearing.. That all means that on 20th February they will face a full winding up petition before the courts without any protection. At that stage if there are no other petitioners, HMRC could still deal on the debts they are owed in exchange for either immediate payment in full or in part (but you would think it would have to be a very large part with another quarter (another £800K) imminent. HMRC might of course seek to set a precedent and agree to seettle based on scheduled payments as a preferential creditor. However the football authorities would not allow this and if a deal was cut on that basis Pompey might risk losing the golden share that entitles them to league membership so it seems an unlikely compromise. Of course if other petitioners join then HMRC cannot afford to deal.

Realistically if a last ditch deal can be reached at the court it is now likely to be at the cost of a substantial payment to HMRC; at very best administration; and at worst liquidation. What seems least likely now is that they will find a new owner or a substantial influx of funds (unless Chanrai has a change of heart and decides to fund the club as a going (money-losing) concern.

If administration is an outcome (and I can only see that happening if Chanrai takes up ownership responsabilities and pays HMRC whilst accepting that they are otherwise insolvent) the Supporters Trust appear to be convinced there will be no more than a 10 point deduction but that to me appears optimistic given their history. Of course should a higher points deduction be made the club will threaten a legal challenge on the basis that their previous administration was under EPL not FL jurisdiction. My feeling however is that, as the two entities are totally inter-dependent that challenge would fail. Ten points takes them into relegation territory. 15 would dump them adrift at the bottom and probably assure relegation.

The other outcome, liquidation, means we lose points gained against them but so do others and at this stage of the season it probably balances out give or take. I would love to see the real effect if anyone can work it out. though. Pompey Supporters Trust have a Plan B which sees a phoenix club starting again, still at Fratton Park (may or may not be practical) and attracting 8000 fans a week to matches in the Conference South (!!). For that to happen there is a very narrow window (21 days I think) for them to register with the FL and if they fail their starting point is going to be way lower down the football pyramid and possibly financially untenable as the club they currently are.

'Ees complicated, as Gus would say, but for certain it will be very interesting to follow what happens over the next 13 days to see if a miracle can happen but as every day passes the outcome looks less and less promising and as it stands my guess would be that the opportunity for administration may have been allowed to pass with the only games left in town being for Chanrai to cover the HMRC debt in the hope of eventually getting a buyer or (if he feels that it would be a case of good money after bad) then liquidation.

f*** off pompey,pompey f*** off

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely typical of the Pompey fans views is this, from one of the links posted above:

after all the FA should be helping pompey big time, after all they got pompey in this mess with the F&PT, then we can all go from there, then BC wont have to put club into admim. Come on F.A Sort it out,

Staggering. Just....staggering.

Yes, Pompey, this is ALL the FA's fault, isn't it? Not Mandaric, or Redknapp, or Chainrai, or Gaydamak, or any of the other SHYSTERS you willingly allowed to control your club because you were blinded by the lights of success. And they wonder why other clubs aren't flocking to help them like they did to Plymouth, for example :facepalm:

Embarrassing, they really are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that if they go into administration if the rules permit they should be relegated to Div 2 . Swindon where relegated to the bottom division under slightly different circumstances but basically it was for financial irregularities, which is the same as Portsmouth. That would at least mean they wouldn t have to spend large amounts of money on wages and transfers to work their way back up the league and every other club in ther FL would benefit by their 'fantastic away following'.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think that if they go into administration if the riles permit they should be relegated to Div 2 . Swindon where relegated to the bottom division under slightly different circumstances but basically it was for financial irregulatities, which is the same as Portsmouth. That would at least mean they wouldn t have to spend large amounts of money on wages and transfers to work their way back up the league and every other club in ther FL would benefit by their 'fantastic away following'.

Swindon was for illegal payments to players and a betting scandal involving Lou Macari I seem to recall. Entirely different. Bent, but in a different way.

I don't see how the FA could demote them, to be honest, but a points deduction of double their previous administration punishment seems fair, given that they've continued to take the piss and buy very well paid players. Have twenty points off them, effectively sealing their relegation anyway, everybody's happy. The fans can hardly complain if they've still got a club to support.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Swindon was for illegal payments to players and a betting scandal involving Lou Macari I seem to recall. Entirely different. Bent, but in a different way.

I don't see how the FA could demote them, to be honest, but a points deduction of double their previous administration punishment seems fair, given that they've continued to take the piss and buy very well paid players. Have twenty points off them, effectively sealing their relegation anyway, everybody's happy. The fans can hardly complain if they've still got a club to support.

I realise that about Swindon but is there no way that the FA can lump the inability to control their finances into a similar pot and relegate them to the bottom division even if it created a precedent. I dont think they would be able to contest it in court because it would probably need an EGM of club chairmen to sanction it and thus would make them autonomous within the legal circles.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It only needs 8 out of the 72 league clubs to demand a FL EGM to vote on a proposition to expel another member club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here