Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

That would do me just fine, I'm not greedy :thumbsup:

Having said that though, how would they make space for them? Unless there's already a club at that level likely to fold, or asking for relegation for one reason or another, they can't just stick a new club in and increase the size of the division.

Well assuming that they went bust, the easiest way would be only relegate 2 teams from the Championship, and do the same in the leagues beneath (to ensure that all have the right number of clubs) until you reach the Conference South, where Pompey would take a place and you'd relegate the standard number of teams.

I'm with hkfc though, a slow extended period of failure is preferable to a quick collapse and reforming.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well assuming that they went bust, the easiest way would be only relegate 2 teams from the Championship, and do the same in the leagues beneath (to ensure that all have the right number of clubs) until you reach the Conference South, where Pompey would take a place and you'd relegate the standard number of teams.

I'm with hkfc though, a slow extended period of failure is preferable to a quick collapse and reforming.

It seems a bit unfair to meddle with several whole divisions though, simply to accommodate one cheating, reckless failure of a football club.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If they go in the conference south, then they'll play Eastbourne and have to drive/train past Falmer.
I quite like that thought

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
I think he has a point. Why should teams who do keep their houses in order trail in behind teams who spend spend spend, and then write it all off, say a big f*** you to the taxpayer, and carry on regardless?

[As I posted in another thread but it's relevant here] Because the whole thing about these "sporting sanctions" is that they were introduced as a deterrent to stop clubs over-spending etc, with the idea they'd never be used. The fact they have been used so many times shows just how crap they are as a deterrent. No club over-spending ever considers the consequences - and relegation would be the exactly same as a points deduction.

In any case, usually by the time the club goes into administration those who got it into such trouble are long gone, so it's just the fans who are punished.

The only proper solution is a licensing system with on-going financial monitoring (as in Germany) - identify and stop the problems *before* they happen, rather than add extra grief *after* they've happened.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Be interesting to dig up some old threads on here re this, as I'm pretty sure a few of us found their string of "investors" and owners more than suspicious from the start.

Which suggests Pompey fans have always had their heads in the sand.

Pompey Takeover Saga - Page 938 | SaintsWeb

Possibly the longest thread on a football board, but highly amusing. Could see it would all go wrong from the start.

It seems a bit unfair to meddle with several whole divisions though, simply to accommodate one cheating, reckless failure of a football club.

If Pompey go bust they are going to have to mess with all of the divisions anyway to bring the Championship back up to 24 teams. Pompey coming back in at Conference South level actually stops them having to continue adjustments further down.

Didn't a team in the Conference(?) go bust last year half way through the season - does anyone know what happened there to bring the number of teams up to the correct number for this season?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Possibility of a groundshare with Havant & Waterlooville.

This would be devastating to the Hawks who have their own unique identity and fan base, which has the potential to be enveloped should PFC come into town.

Don't they play in the Leigh Park area of the city? :lolol: That's one part that's even worse than Fratton.

Leigh Park is well outside Portsmouth and is part of the Borough of Havant. There is no physical connection between them. That isn't to say Leigh Park is anymore picturesque than what you are alluding to!

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE

That's more than a bit harsh, the people who got them into that mess have all bailed out now, and they're only one of over 40 clubs who've gone into administration over the years, many of them more than once. Football financing in general urgently needs looking at, there are many other disasters waiting to happen at places like Forest, Coventry, Leeds.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
"Poyet -the manager of Brighton -the team who gambled on promotion last year, the team that spent money it didn't have to achive promotion so that it could fill a staidium that otherwise would not have been paid for without promotion, which would have caused a financial crisis for the club

Pot and Kettle methinks "

Gus Poyet P E N I S - Portsmouth FC forum from footymad.net

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Almost certainly a phoenix Pompey would start in Conference South.

Not so. Apparently a new club would be expected to enter at step 5 of the National League System ( Level 9 of the Pyramid) which would mean AFC Portsmouth starting next season in the Wessex League

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
And the one thing I keep telling myself with all this Pompey crap going on, is that maybe agents aren't as clever as they'd like to think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here