Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lou Reed, Peter Hitchens and the ridiculous Daily Mail.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Your post did make me laugh about the news in The Mirror as yesterdays Mail had...

Beauty queen aged 11 months.
Did wild boar swim channel?
Hitler fanatic kicked out of Asda.
Kitten that dialled 999.
And
Spider killed my rabbit.

Mysterious wild boar roaming island in Guernsey "swam there from France"
Animals
02 Nov 2013
Residents on Alderney have been left baffled as to how the "ghost pig" reached the island

Cat blamed for 999 prank call after police break down door to find empty flat

Cats
02 Nov 2013
Police traced emergency call and battered down James Cocksedge's front door to find mischievous moggy hiding in a wardrobe

Watch mystery 'ghost dust devil' vandalise police car in 'haunted' parking lot

02 Nov 2013
Oh! you mean these headlines.......from the Daily Mirror yesterday......

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I may have joined this debate late, but for what it's worth you're an ill informed ****. Good night.
Yes and goodnight to you...oh! master of all wisdom, what makes you think you are so well informed,can't any of you reply sensibly without using foul language,it's not clever or big though you might think it is,manners today of kids...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Mysterious wild boar roaming island in Guernsey "swam there from France"
Animals
02 Nov 2013
Residents on Alderney have been left baffled as to how the "ghost pig" reached the island

Cat blamed for 999 prank call after police break down door to find empty flat

Cats
02 Nov 2013
Police traced emergency call and battered down James Cocksedge's front door to find mischievous moggy hiding in a wardrobe

Watch mystery 'ghost dust devil' vandalise police car in 'haunted' parking lot

02 Nov 2013
Oh! you mean these headlines.......from the Daily Mirror yesterday......

Sorry i am missing the point of this post, the Mail stories were very similar to the Mirror then( my point)
I am not a Mirror fan either.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
seagull.jpg
plane wing.jpg
shoot foot.jpg

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Sorry i am missing the point of this post, the Mail stories were very similar to the Mirror then( my point)
I am not a Mirror fan either.
OK I'll explain it to you,you posted those stories from the Mail trying to prove that they are non- news stories. Yet the same stories are in a left wing paper and you say nothing about them...oh! no,just the Mail....you have a very blinkered view..

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
OK I'll explain it to you,you posted those stories from the Mail trying to prove that they are non- news stories. Yet the same stories are in a left wing paper and you say nothing about them...oh! no,just the Mail....you have a very blinkered view..

The mirror is a shite paper as well just because it is left wing and shite makes little difference to the argument.

People don't dislike the Mail because it is right wing. They dislike it because it spreads hate and bullshit.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I'm going to say it one more time and then leave it.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LEFT VS. RIGHT.

The Telegraph is very much a right wing paper, I have no issue with the quality of it's journalism or (in the main) the way it goes about making its point.

The Red tops are all gutter press. The Mail postions itself as the adult alternative to these papers, whilst indulging in the same celeb BS that they do. I refer back to my earlier comment, at least the Mirror & The Sun are red tops & don't market themselves as super serious. You expect these non-stories from them & they are marketed as such.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I do not give a monkeys about either newspaper, but you totally missed my point, try and read the points below.
Your post #109 lists some non-news stories from The Mirror,
my post #117 lists some non-news stories from Saturdays Mail, the newspaper you are defending.
Tell me if I have missed anything and do you follow so far?

I WAS JUST TRYING TO POINT OUT BOTH NEWSPAPERS HAVE SIMILAR NON-NEWS STORIES, THATS ALL:facepalm:

Not sure why I have a very blinkered view as I never read The Mirror.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm going to say it one more time and then leave it.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LEFT VS. RIGHT.

The Telegraph is very much a right wing paper, I have no issue with the quality of it's journalism or (in the main) the way it goes about making its point.

The Red tops are all gutter press. The Mail postions itself as the adult alternative to these papers, whilst indulging in the same celeb BS that they do. I refer back to my earlier comment, at least the Mirror & The Sun are red tops & don't market themselves as super serious. You expect these non-stories from them & they are marketed as such.

This.
Seagull on the Wing, READ THE LAST BIT 4 TIMES, you may learn something!!

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
But The Mail has a huge female readership - and I am sure that their marketing people tell them there is massive demand for celebrity froth, fashion stories, etc. The Mail is a highly successful newspaper, and relatively speaking, has done well as overall newspaper sales have declined over the past 10 years. I am sure they know exactly what they are doing.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But The Mail has a huge female readership - and I am sure that their marketing people tell them there is massive demand for celebrity froth, fashion stories, etc. The Mail is a highly successful newspaper, and relatively speaking, has done well as overall newspaper sales have declined over the past 10 years. I am sure they know exactly what they are doing.

And as I said earlier, McDonalds is the most popular restaurant in the world. Does that make it good?

Your last point is the crux of the matter, the Mail thrives on the righteous indignation of the left and right alike, they do know what they are doing and that's exactly what makes it as nasty as it is. If it were a TV program, it would be Jeremy Kyle, it pretends to be interested in "educating" people but instead just preys on those unfortunate reflex prejudices that are within all of us. It is almost as if is is designed to appeal to all our innermost, selfish urges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here