Losing Weight

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My nemesis is late evening snacking. Preventing the loss of a 'mere' 1.5st which on paper shouldn't be too difficult. I blame it on having nice food in the larder for my daughter :smile: .

The rest of my diet is healthy ... no beer, lots of veg/fruit, no carbs at lunch, plenty of protein.

alanfp

Feb 23, 2024
Has anyone else gone down the keto route?
I know nothing about keto (apart from the character in the Pink Panther films), but the diet you describe sounds a bit like Slimming World, which works for some people. The key point appears to be don't get to a stage where you are so hungry that you reach for the chocolate bar. But fill your boots (by which I mean stomach) with fruit and veg.
Mate of mine lost weight quickly just by cutting out cakes, biscuits and crisps.
I lost weight by doing two lots of exercise per week but not changing my diet. I then reduced to one session per week and the weight went back on, so I think there's a pointer there.
Also, a lot of 'experts' say don't eat late at night as the food doesn't digest as well when you are lying down. Maybe no food after 7pm??

... and as per a previous post, not all fast eaters are fat, but all fat people are fast eaters.

A combination of what works for YOU will probably work.

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My nemesis is late evening snacking. Preventing the loss of a 'mere' 1.5st which on paper shouldn't be too difficult. I blame it on having nice food in the larder for my daughter :smile: .

The rest of my diet is healthy ... no beer, lots of veg/fruit, no carbs at lunch, plenty of protein.
This is exactly the same with me. My kids are teenagers now so often naff off in the evening and the wife is a teacher so often soends the evening planning/marking etc . Snacking while watching TV is so hard to avoid. Eat because I am bored.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ok, so this was from 2013

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Said it before, will say it again. Try brushing your teeth after dinner.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm sure i've mentioned it on here before, but cauliflower rice has been a game changer for me when dieting. I tend to do a low carb diet. Cauliflower rice means i can have nice meals, like currys and they don't have many carbs in. It doesn't really feel like i'm sacrificing much.

Also another tip if you're a beer drinker like me, I've been limiting my beer intake. So I go to the pub twice a week, and have 2 to 3 pints. I've also notice that i drink my first pint very quickly, often because im just thirsty. So I've been getting a pint of water at the same time as i get a beer. I've been necking my water and then sipping my beer. It helps me extend a couple of pints over the course of an evening rather than downing them quickly and drinking a lot.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024

Kids have a lot to answer for ;)

I haven't eaten chocolate, biscuits (including my favourite spelt biscuit that the lovely people at La Patisserie make which is half covered in chocolate). cake, crisps etc in 3 weeks. I know 3 weeks isn't long for most people - but it's a long time without chocolate for me :eek:

The last 9 days I've average 14,000+ steps - so that's also helping me - mentally as much as anything else. I just need the wind and rain to keep away.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Kids have a lot to answer for ;)

I haven't eaten chocolate, biscuits (including my favourite spelt biscuit that the lovely people at La Patisserie make which is half covered in chocolate). cake, crisps etc in 3 weeks. I know 3 weeks isn't long for most people - but it's a long time without chocolate for me :eek:

The last 9 days I've average 14,000+ steps - so that's also helping me - mentally as much as anything else. I just need the wind and rain to keep away.
3 weeks is good and long enough for your habits to change. I bet it’s easier not to have chocolate, etc now than it was after the first day of cutting down!

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
I know nothing about keto (apart from the character in the Pink Panther films), but the diet you describe sounds a bit like Slimming World, which works for some people. The key point appears to be don't get to a stage where you are so hungry that you reach for the chocolate bar. But fill your boots (by which I mean stomach) with fruit and veg.
Mate of mine lost weight quickly just by cutting out cakes, biscuits and crisps.
I lost weight by doing two lots of exercise per week but not changing my diet. I then reduced to one session per week and the weight went back on, so I think there's a pointer there.
Also, a lot of 'experts' say don't eat late at night as the food doesn't digest as well when you are lying down. Maybe no food after 7pm??

... and as per a previous post, not all fast eaters are fat, but all fat people are fast eaters.

A combination of what works for YOU will probably work.

It's not really like Slimming World, the principals of which are very different. There are lots of foods you can eat on a SW diet that would result in you not achieving ketosis. There is a real science to the keto diet, and if followed correctly will get the body burning fat for fuel - especially from around the waist - which is an issue for gents of a certain age ... cough.

Fruit is also a big no no for keto because of its sugar content. To help Mrs PGTips with the shopping list, I put together a list of veg with low carb and keto friendly veg in the green box (generally veg that has no more than 3 or 4 net grams of carb per 100g), veg that can be eaten in small amounts in the orange box and banned veg in the red box - see below:

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 15.27.49.png

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

I had to get rid of everything. Too dangerous having a draw of gear.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
I'm sure i've mentioned it on here before, but cauliflower rice has been a game changer for me when dieting. I tend to do a low carb diet. Cauliflower rice means i can have nice meals, like currys and they don't have many carbs in. It doesn't really feel like i'm sacrificing much.

Also another tip if you're a beer drinker like me, I've been limiting my beer intake. So I go to the pub twice a week, and have 2 to 3 pints. I've also notice that i drink my first pint very quickly, often because im just thirsty. So I've been getting a pint of water at the same time as i get a beer. I've been necking my water and then sipping my beer. It helps me extend a couple of pints over the course of an evening rather than downing them quickly and drinking a lot.
We had cauliflower rice last night with a homemade chicken curry (Thai style using coconut milk - very keto friendly). I love it and a great substitute for normal rice and hardly any cards as you say.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Having unhealthy food in the house makes things tough. When I split from my ex wife about 17-18 years ago, I used it as motivation to get in really good shape. Living on my own helped this a lot as, not only was I was able to plan my meals far more easily with just myself to think about, but I also made sure that I only had healthy food in the house. It made it all really easy, and whilst I think I'm still in pretty good shape for a late 40s bloke, I don't think I've ever looked or felt as healthy as I did when living on my own.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
We had cauliflower rice last night with a homemade chicken curry (Thai style using coconut milk - very keto friendly). I love it and a great substitute for normal rice and hardly any cards as you say.
Honestly it has been a game changer for me. After doing diets in the past and being miserable on them, the low carb diet has worked well for me. And i think a large part of that is because I can still eat nice meals.

Another thing is for a pudding I'll chop up some fruit and put in a full fat yoghurt (which weirdly is lower in carbs than low fat yoghurt). But I've noticed that i haven't been craving snacks. A friend who's a personal trainer told me, that he thinks because my body is getting its fat intake through the yoghurt my body isn't craving it, which might why I've not been craving snacks. I don't know if thats true, but it makes sense and it seems to be working for me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought I'd bring this back to the top of the pile and hope everyone that's on the weight loss/battle journey is doing well.

I'm trying something new for me. I hit 15 stone again recently (I'm only 5' 7"). It was only briefly, but I'd been stuck at around 14st 12lb for some time. So obese according to BMI.

I started having a look at the Keto 'diet' and then by pure coincidence, discovered that an old work colleague that I hadn't seen for a few years had been on it for the last 18 months - with great success. I always considered him to be very fit - loads of cycling and gym work - but he'd put a bit of weight on and went down the veto route, loosing 40lbs, which he's kept off.

I went and had a black coffee with him to learn more about it. He was always a very detailed person (in financial services compliance for a number of years) and had done a load of research. The key learning for me was that sugar - and the effect it has on insulin production - is the devil. Not just added sugar, but fruit sugars and carbs in general.

I love chocolate ... and a cookie or similar when out for a coffee. So this was something I had to immediately knock on the head. I have researched the amount of 'net' carbs in lots of different foods (carbs minus fibre) - including vegetables (as a general rule, root vegetables are a no no) and eliminated all foods above a certain level.

I've been doing this for just over a couple of weeks now. I'm happy with the nutrition I'm getting as most of my evening meals are either chicken or fish plus broccoli, spinach, kale etc etc ... but no spud, pasta, rice (even 'healthy' rice) or bread. I'm also eating eggs, avocado, nuts, olives ... and not worrying about using plenty of real butter, cheese, olive oil etc.

I don't feel hungry because I don't have the sugar/carb rebound issue. I also seem to have more energy. My wife goes to the fruit & veg market in Worthing on Wednesdays, so I went with her this morning and walked the 5 and a bit miles back to Shoreham. I'd had no breakfast (I'm incorporating intermittent fasting on some days) and marched the 5.11 miles along the coast in just over 75 minutes (averaging 14' 47" a mile - my quickest yet for that distance walking).

Whether I've fully moved into a ketosis state, I don't know. But I'm half a stone down in just over 2 weeks just by eliminating carb rich foods. I'll be having a lovely bowl of cauliflower cheese with some spinach and mushrooms around 5pm before heading for The Amex this evening.

Has anyone else gone down the keto route?
Some years ago I 'did' the Atkins Diet, which is a form of Keto diet, if extreme. Not just limiting, but almost eliminating carbohydrates from your diet. I lost about a pound a day, once ketosis was triggered.

I came to this thread today because a doctor told me yesterday that I really need to lose weight (BMI of 31 at the moment) and I was considering going back to this 'short cut'.

I found it very easy, because, as you say, you don't get 'sugar rushes' and the higher protein diet satiates your appetite quicker.

Jul 7, 2003
A few years ago I had put on a lot of weight after a partial knee replacement had stopped me doing sports. I didn't go full keto but did make some key changes to my diet.

The big thing was cutting out sugar - it is harder than you think as there is so much sugar added into products. However, after three weeks, the sugar cravings had gone.

Cutting down (not out) carbs also helped but also just getting out walking regularly at a decent pace.

These days I am around 25kg lighter than I was back then and while I am by no means skinny, I am at a comfortable weight which I am able to maintain. I do have the odd sweet thing now and again but if I have too much, I feel crap so I quickly stop. I still try to and avoid too many carbs so will often just have meat and vegetables for dinner without the spuds.

As @PascalGroß Tips pointed out, cauliflower rice is a nice alternative (and I hate both cauliflower and normal rice!), another option is celeraic rice which gives a different flavour but works really well with asian style dishes.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Some years ago I 'did' the Atkins Diet, which is a form of Keto diet, if extreme. Not just limiting, but almost eliminating carbohydrates from your diet. I lost about a pound a day, once ketosis was triggered.

I came to this thread today because a doctor told me yesterday that I really need to lose weight (BMI of 31 at the moment) and I was considering going back to this 'short cut'.

I found it very easy, because, as you say, you don't get 'sugar rushes' and the higher protein diet satiates your appetite quicker.
My BMI is also 31.

Good luck with getting back on it (y)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've put on some weight recently.

I really struggle with lunches. Whether I'm WFH or in the office it's all too easy to nip to Tesco and get a nasty meal deal.

My next plan is buddha bowls, made the night before so I can just grab them at lunch and get a bunch of veg into my expanding frame.

Have also decided to stop drinking for the foreseeable. Both for being able to fit into my trousers reasons and for "approaching my forties and hangovers seem to last two days or more" reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports