Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Weight

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
There’s a common phrase used in the running world…..”you can’t outrun a bad diet”. Personally think exercise is incredibly important (not just for weight loss, but physical and mental wellbeing) but regulating intake will have far more impact on weight control. When I was typically running 100km a week I wasn’t losing weight (despite a BMI of around 24/25).
Oh how I wish I could still run.

I had a fantastic few years starting in 1997 when I went from being unable to run for 5 minutes (1st January) to running my first HM in the March (in 1 hr 47 mins) and marathon in the April (4 hrs 12 mins). Did the Forest Marathon September that year in 3 hrs 26 mins … and it felt ‘easy’. I’d followed the Runners World 3 and a half hour training plan but my training had gone so well that I probably could have got closer to 3 hrs 15 mins (when it probably would have hurt).

This was followed by B&H HM the following Feb in 89 mins … despite the fact I had a horrendous cold and I’d consumed 13 pints of Guinness on the Friday (my work leaving ‘lunch’).

Also did the Compton 40 - an off road ultra.

But … I picked up a bad calf injury and was stupid in ignoring it (including during Snowdon marathon) and I did so much damage it’s vulnerable despite having had lots of treatment. I’ve tried on and off over the years but I now have to get my cardio elsewhere.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
I wish it was ‘natural‘ and there was no chance of rebounding……………if I stopped going to the gym (I can’t profess to truly enjoying it, but I know I have to do it) and allowed myself to slip on the intake front (as I often do) I could easily see my weight rocketing…….despite the length of time I’ve managed to maintain it, it’s still a very conscious effort. I wish it wasn’t !

You’re doing it though and understand the consequences if you ‘fall off the wagon’. That’s great discipline 👏

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Made a few changes 4 weeks ago I cut out breakfast (was either bagel, croissant or bacon/hash brown roll at work), no afternoon snack and no snacks after dinner, booze is now a glass wine or whisky over beer. didnt change much else but I’ve already felt weight come off - belly still there but lowest spare tier not as thick, manboobs smaller, trousers now falling down around my arse. not made it compulsive so if away or out with friends I will indulge and I still have odd bacon sarny

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh how I wish I could still run.

I had a fantastic few years starting in 1997 when I went from being unable to run for 5 minutes (1st January) to running my first HM in the March (in 1 hr 47 mins) and marathon in the April (4 hrs 12 mins). Did the Forest Marathon September that year in 3 hrs 26 mins … and it felt ‘easy’. I’d followed the Runners World 3 and a half hour training plan but my training had gone so well that I probably could have got closer to 3 hrs 15 mins (when it probably would have hurt).

This was followed by B&H HM the following Feb in 89 mins … despite the fact I had a horrendous cold and I’d consumed 13 pints of Guinness on the Friday (my work leaving ‘lunch’).

Also did the Compton 40 - an off road ultra.

But … I picked up a bad calf injury and was stupid in ignoring it (including during Snowdon marathon) and I did so much damage it’s vulnerable despite having had lots of treatment. I’ve tried on and off over the years but I now have to get my cardio elsewhere.
Still a pretty good running CV.....

I've done about 80 marathons/ultras (and have a 100 mile buckle) but my laziness means I've never run what I'd call a 'decent' race. Should have been able to get well under 3.30 but never did. No chance now, achilles tendinitis for the last 2 years (now improving) has killed my distance running. I should target HMs or something but can't get motivated. Haven't even done a parkrun for 3 years 😔

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Still a pretty good running CV.....

I've done about 80 marathons/ultras (and have a 100 mile buckle) but my laziness means I've never run what I'd call a 'decent' race. Should have been able to get well under 3.30 but never did. No chance now, achilles tendinitis for the last 2 years (now improving) has killed my distance running. I should target HMs or something but can't get motivated. Haven't even done a parkrun for 3 years 😔
That’s a lot of marathons/ultras (not AS Roma ultras 😜). Injuries are literally a real pain.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Wow it seems like youve had a tough run of circumstamces mate. I think cooking sessions is a really good idea depending on how long you can last - energy wise. Its something I do for my family cooking and try and make it 'fun' i.e. rainy sunday afternoons listening to the radio or watching football while i do it. I generally have a rotation and batch cook bolognese, chilli, veg chilli, veg curry etc. And then just random homemade 'soup/ stew' things with a rotation of vegetables herbs and spices, ginger, garlic, lentils peas and beans lemon, fresh herbs etc. Just bunged in and experimented with to make a meal. Then I always have very small portions of those things alongside a salad. Coconut milk is a good option for thickening things and putting in curries.

I also bulk buy chicken breasts slice them into strips and marinade them with various (ideally healthyish) things as a ready made topping or protein accompaniment to other things ot on salads or stir fries. These cooking festivals do take a while but I can do enough to feed the family for a week to 10 days or more and build up extra resources in the freezer. I also sometimes make loads of burgers out of minced chicken / turkey - made with an egg, a few breadcrumbs, dollop of Mustard, fresh chopped coriander or parsely, a bit of Worcester sauce and salt and pepper. Ball em all up. Loads of em. And stick them in the freezer.

The point of all of the above is to have a load of combinable resources to make loads of relatively easy meals quickly with the minimum of fuss and effort when you're tired, fed up and hungry. I also have loads of fruit and vegetables in the house and lots of nuts and dates and things as snacks but nothing else.

In my experience its really useful to have finite shopping lists. I kind of have a fixed list of things I need to service all of the above 'menu' and I just replace these things as they run out by writing it on a whiteboard in my kitchen and then taking a photo of it before I go to the shop.

That means in the supermarket - even if I'm hungry, tired or fed up, I'm just going for specific things and don't find myself down any aisles with any crap on them or making any stop gaps with processed food. Takes a few goes to get the cycle going but we'll worth it.

Regarding the Pizza, I mean this in a non judgemental way but its absolutely one of the worst things to be eating. Well made one's are deeply unhealthy but shop bought ones are full of processed crap. If you have an autoimmune issue you should be avoiding any processed stuff as its full of terrible shìte that is simply poisonous. The same with 'low fat' stuff really. It's just a marketing nonsense. All those products are full of crap that take the place of actual fat - which is perfectly good for you and indeed necessary nutritionally- and is linked to all sorts of diseases, with little evidence of helping people to lose weight. Try more healthy alternatives - live greek yoghurt etc. Really good for you and your gut.

The best way to lose weight is to eat fresh food where you know all the ingredients which contains as many different colours and types of plant as possible. Just keep it simple.

I have Psoriasis which is an auto-immune disease and have had it quite bad at points in my lifetime. After eating much cleaner it has largely disappeared - this included removing 'inflammatory' things from my diet (booze, sugar, processed foods, some nightshades) - I still have little bits of all of these things here and there - when out - but eliminate at home. Taking care of your gut health is vital for auto-immune support. That means lots of pickled things, lots of natural yoghurt, and as many different fresh flora as you can stuff in there.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and hope some / any of this ramble might be of use to you or others in some way. There's no fixed way and my personal approach is to try and keep things simple and try and avoid being overwhelmed by trying to be perfect or overcomplicated. Just a few simple, basic common sense rules about fresh food and then being mindful and sticking to it.

Totally agree with everything you said except the bit about pizza. What's deeply unhealthy about a proper, well-made pizza?

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Totally agree with everything you said except the bit about pizza. What's deeply unhealthy about a proper, well-made pizza?
Yeah, I suppose you're right actually. It was a bit of a pithy statememnt and i had suppose i had ropey restaurant pizza in mind. If you can guarantee what's on the toppings are good quality / not processed shite, and it's a good, ideally sourdough thin base I suppose it's not too bad. Healthwise. Eating an entire pizza of any design though triggers my 'way too much bread product' alarm these days.

Although, big caveat to that - that's exactly what I did, for the first time in a year in a Piazza in Rome and it was delicious!

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Some really good tips on this thread. I’ve given up almost all dairy from an intolerance perspective rather than outright health and combined with less or no grog during the week and trying not to eat after 8pm til 10am the following day has made a real difference. For me the secret is to make it as easy as possible, things in moderation and find exercise that you enjoy..that way there is a chance that the good habits stick and you make lifestyle changes that will hopefully last for years.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’m afraid the ones I was referring to are frozen £1-3 pizzas from Sainsbury’s or Iceland with white processed bases, processed pepperoni or processed ham on top with processed cheese that I buy with my fortnightly online shop - at least they are what one would normally classify as ‘small’ pizzas with thin crispy bases but that’s their only redeeming feature. 🤗

Yeah, I know. And those, as with any UPF, should be avoided. @Oh_aye had suggested a real pizza was very unhealthy though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve lost about a stone in the last month through fasting Mon-Fri. It works quite well.

I’ve got more energy (now my body is used to the routine) but my portion size has reduced dramatically. I don’t need a big meal to fill me up. I try and eat between 12noon - 7pm, normally a nut snack lunch followed by a low carb meal in the evening. I’ve totally got rid of beer at home (replaced by scotch) milky coffees (replaced by black coffee) and my biscuit habit. I only really drink beer at football now.

Although I should really do some exercise, I’m not quite there with that other than a kick about with my son 4 or 5 times a week but I’m looking to up this a bit if I want to burn off the football beers.

This has all been quite a gentle transition for me and has not affected my social life etc (although my alcohol threshold has plummeted which is probably a good thing!). The big thing for me is portion size and diet. Eat mostly the right foods and the right portions and you are half way there.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I'm a fatty, and need to lose weight.

BMI is 28, and trust me none of that is down to muscle.

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

So yeah, I just need tips basically, cheers.

11 years later…how are you getting on?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
This is a really interesting thread. I had a wardrobe full of clothes that were too small for me and dreadful regurgitation at night. I now avoid spicy foods, and don't eat anything after 17:00. I walk a lot, cycle a bit, and play table tennis whenever I can. I haven't needed lansoprozole for about 9 months now. Quite a result !
I've never cooked for myself, and am now having loadsa salads, and chicken breast. I'm highly motivated, and don't care if most meals are the same, as long as the excess stone and a half disappears.

I'm 68. A bit late to become a wizard in the kitchen, and as my girlfriend is only here at the weekends, I don't want to spend hours every day washing pots and pans. No alcohol this year, and I don't miss it. Cakes and chocolate are my weakness, but I can live without them, if it helps me to shift a stone and a half and keep it off.
I know nothing about food science. Are Charlie Bingham's pre prepared curries to be avoided like the plague ? They are mega yummy. I could live on them ! Up until a week ago, I was.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I'm 68. A bit late to become a wizard in the kitchen…
You don’t have to go on a five year college course to get better at cooking, if you read this book and applied what she is saying then your food will taste so much better:

Amazon product

It has transformed the way I cook and has led on to me getting quite good at cooking but that is because I like it, even if I just read this and did what she said I’d still be much better off.

/unasked for advice from a stranger on the internet 😂

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don’t put the next load of food in your mouth until you have completely eaten, chewed, swallowed, then taken a drink of water between mouthfuls.

Voila

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I know nothing about food science. Are Charlie Bingham's pre prepared curries to be avoided like the plague ? They are mega yummy. I could live on them ! Up until a week ago, I was.
The chicken jalfrezi comes in at 622 calories, 27g fat and 65g carbs for a half pack 422g serving. Not great, other than occasionally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here