Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing Weight

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm currently watching this on Prime and rather enjoying it.

Affable chunky monkey Aussie goes to Japan to try and get his biological age down from 64 to his actual 38 years.

I'm a fatty, and need to lose weight.

BMI is 28, and trust me none of that is down to muscle.

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

So yeah, I just need tips basically, cheers.
It's generally not down to exercise, even tho that helps motivation, you still stay fat if you run and eat a lot.

It's all down to food intake, particularly as you get old and your metabolism slows

I've found carbs and alcohol and sugar are the things that have to go if you want to lose weight quickly

Just find replacements for them as you'll want to carry on eating, various vegetables Eg sweet potato can replace the carbs. Alcohol you just have to ration carefully. Everything sugary should go, it's awful for your health anyway.

Try and avoid eating before you go to bed, have something like low fat soups on hand if you have to give into cravings

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I’m 43 now and in June 2022, I stopped drinking and started running again. I was 18 stone and got down to 14.5 stone. I'm currently training for Brighton marathon. I stopped eating Mccy D's, subway, burger king etc in June 2023 (Sales rep on the move so the golden arches were my weakness) Also stopped eating Crisps.

I ran 6 half marathons and a 20 mile race last year (2023) Set myself the target to run one in 2022 and I did it, ran on from there.

I run about 20/30 miles a week, walk the dog but am not that active other that that. My diet is OK but I do eat a lot of crap but try and balance it all.

Small incremental changes bit Booze was THE biggest thing that helped shift the weight. I don’t think I’ll drink again.

This may help someone, it may not, but this is my story.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's generally not down to exercise, even tho that helps motivation, you still stay fat if you run and eat a lot.

It's all down to food intake, particularly as you get old and your metabolism slows

I've found carbs and alcohol and sugar are the things that have to go if you want to lose weight quickly

Just find replacements for them as you'll want to carry on eating, various vegetables Eg sweet potato can replace the carbs. Alcohol you just have to ration carefully. Everything sugary should go, it's awful for your health anyway.

Try and avoid eating before you go to bed, have something like low fat soups on hand if you have to give into cravings

:bowdown:

Simply this. Plus don't consume calories between say 6pm and breakfast.

Over time you can and will adjust happily into not being obsessed with carbs, the cravings.

Fasting one day a week is a great way to accelerate the weight and fast loss, but don't binge the following day.

I’m 43 now and in June 2022, I stopped drinking and started running again. I was 18 stone and got down to 14.5 stone. I'm currently training for Brighton marathon. I stopped eating Mccy D's, subway, burger king etc in June 2023 (Sales rep on the move so the golden arches were my weakness) Also stopped eating Crisps.

I ran 6 half marathons and a 20 mile race last year (2023) Set myself the target to run one in 2022 and I did it, ran on from there.

I run about 20/30 miles a week, walk the dog but am not that active other that that. My diet is OK but I do eat a lot of crap but try and balance it all.

Small incremental changes bit Booze was THE biggest thing that helped shift the weight. I don’t think I’ll drink again.

This may help someone, it may not, but this is my story.
I'd say that's been my biggest challenge. I never drink at home but so many social interactions particularly with blokes revolve around drinking, you stand out like a sore thumb if you are the only one not doing the pints. I find it enjoyable to drink but also enjoyable not to drink so it's pure just wanting to fit into the social flow

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I'd say that's been my biggest challenge. I never drink at home but so many social interactions particularly with blokes revolve around drinking, you stand out like a sore thumb if you are the only one not doing the pints. I find it enjoyable to drink but also enjoyable not to drink so it's pure just wanting to fit into the social flow
You get used to it. 90% of folk are totally fine with you not drinking after the initial odd piss take comment. The 10% that make a fuss end up coming to you when they are 8 pints deep and tell you they are worried about their drinking and can you help!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Weight control has been a major concern for me since being diagnosed with several debilitating neurological and muscular illnesses that is resulting in decreasing levels of mobility and increasing levels of pain/fatigue as well as severe breathless. This means exercise, even walking, getting up stairs is a major challenge. Getting to work I use a mobility scooter but 3 years ago I was cycling there and back and doing a 5 mile walk fairly comfortably and swimming once a week so the weight has been piling on only since then.

Fatigue means I often end up bunging a frozen pizza in the oven because I’m too tired to cook although in the summer, I try to live on salads.

Steroids for autoimmune disease and severe asthma as well as another long term immunosuppressant have contributed to excessive weight gain - I’m about 3 stone now over what I should be for my height and age which compounds the muscular pains and fatigue..

I don’t smoke or drink alcohol and have decaf coffee and tea.

For me, it’s the lack of exercise combined with too many pizzas ( 3 a week average) rather than the actual amount of food - I don’t eat in between meals - if I’m working I’ll just have a low fat clear cuppa soup for lunch. I buy low fat products all the time - used skimmed milk, rarely eat chocolates or cake ( but do eat cracker biscuits) so not sure what else to do tbh?

Would welcome ideas. One thing I thought of was having cooking sessions and making large soups/casseroles the freezing them as separate meals to bung in microwave if I’m too tired to cook ( I absolutely hate pre-made processed TV dinners and won’t touch them with a barge pole!!)- there seems to be so few days now though that even spending an hour cooking is beyond me most days- especially if I’ve been to work/hospital all day.

I need to find a way of losing weight that doesn’t involve doing exercise beyond just getting about!

Last edited:

Weight control has been a major concern for me since being diagnosed with several debilitating neurological and muscular illnesses that is resulting in decreasing levels of mobility and increasing levels of pain/fatigue as well as severe breathless. This means exercise, even walking, getting up stairs is a major challenge. Getting to work I use a mobility scooter but 3 years ago I was cycling there and back and doing a 5 mile walk fairly comfortably and swimming once a week so the weight has been piling on only since then.

Fatigue means I often end up bunging a frozen pizza in the oven because I’m too tired to cook although in the summer, I try to live on salads.

Steroids for autoimmune disease and severe asthma as well as another long term immunosuppressant have contributed to excessive weight gain - I’m about 3 stone now over what I should be for my height and age which compounds the muscular pains and fatigue..

For me, it’s the lack of exercise combined with too many pizzas ( 3 a week average) rather than the actual amount of food - I don’t eat in between meals - if I’m working I’ll just have a low fat clear cuppa soup for lunch. I buy low fat products all the time - used skimmed milk, rarely eat chocolates or cake ( but do eat cracker biscuits) so not sure what else to do tbh?

Would welcome ideas. One thing I thought of was having cooking sessions and making large soups/casseroles the freezing them as separate meals to bung in microwave if I’m too tired to cook ( I absolutely hate pre-made processed TV dinners and won’t touch them with a barge pole!!)- there seems to be so few days now though that even spending an hour cooking is beyond me most days- especially if I’ve been to work/hospital all day.

I need to find a way of losing weight that doesn’t involve doing exercise beyond just getting about!
Fair play to you, given those exercise challenges you are doing a lot of stuff right it seems. As you say, it's the inevitable fatigue that often catches us out - leads to comfort eating and then it's all back to square one. The pre-cooking sessions are a great idea, you should give it a go.

I can only give you my view of pizza, I put one slice in my mouth and I feel myself bloating like Mr Creasote. It's a food only for the high metabolistic-fantastic youth or those Mediterraneans who somehow live on olive oil and live to 110.

Of course life would be not worth living without food we really like - but that list on post 167 compiled by Couldn't Be Hyppia is brilliant - so many options there. I'm a very disorganised ADHD-type scatterbrain type but I know if I have a meat dish to replace carby food I won't be going far wrong

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I stopped eating biscuits and severely limiting my cheese and bread intake (I love all three) a few weeks back. It's surprising how quickly
your body adapts and not crave any of them. I've lost quite a few pounds and haven't really felt the
urge to eat them. Obviously, now and again is fine. But not every day, as it used to be. I guess that would go
for any food really.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm taking Wegovy at the moment, which has been interesting. I am one of those people that can put on or lose a stone in a week and unfortunately went a bit too far in the putting on and couldn't get back into the rhythm. I've lost a good 30 pounds in the 10 weeks I've been on it and had felt feelings of hunger pretty much gone. I have been cutting out bread and all sugar as well, which obviously helps, and getting out with the dog more often, but I've plateaued a bit recently. I probably need to lose that amount again to be at my ideal weight, hoping I can get there before the summer.

A few years ago I lost 6 stone doing keto, one meal a day and cardio five times a week for about 9 months, but it's just not sustainable for me and I really don't have the time or energy to do it again!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Banging the drum of fasting again, could you try this once a week? Check out this https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001v3wq and really listen to the key points. It goes beyond weight, excess inflammation from modern lifestyles is a huge cause of ill health in general.

Fats - perhaps put that to one side, as they help suppress the false feeling of hunger. Instead concentrating on reducing carbs and sugar.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was diagnosed with Diabetes back in early 2023, doctor told me to exercise, eat better etc...

I did nowt, went back in June 2023 and they said it got worse (55), and offered me medicine or joining a diet/wellbeing course, you could not do both, so I opted for the course which I started in August 2023 starting weight was 14 and a half stone at 5'10inch tall.
The first 5 months was low calorie (200per unit x4 a day) soups/shakes plus a weekly private meeting for motivation and wellbeing.
It was feckin hard, no alcohol either (although I did drink neat vodka occasionally towards the end of the 5months)
around Christmas food was re introduced along with continued support, after Christmas the diet was finished and they now focus on wellbeing and introducing exercise (before on 800 calories a day they did not recommend it).
Been back to the doctors recently for my diabetes check up and I am now instead of high, I am only one point over (43)
So instead of the standard 6 month check up, I have one in 3 months and she is pretty confident I will no longer be classed as diabetic !
Three and a half months since food introduction and I now range between 11 stone 7 and 12 stone and I feel 10ft tall.

I cant thank the 2nd doctor enough for listening to me and taking time to care and book me on the course.

Last edited:

I was diagnosed with Diabetes back in early 2023, doctor told me to exercise, eat better etc...

I did nowt, went back in June 2023 and they said it got worse (55), and offered me medicine or joining a diet/wellbeing course, you could not do both, so I opted for the course which I started in August 2023 starting weight was 14 and a half stone at 5'10inch tall.
The first 5 months was low calorie (200per unit x4 a day) soups/shakes plus a weekly private meeting for motivation and wellbeing.
It was feckin hard, no alcohol either (although I did drink neat vodka occasionally towards the end of the 5months)
around Christmas food was re introduced along with continued support, after Christmas the diet was finished and they now focus on wellbeing and introducing exercise (before on 800 calories a day they did not recommend it).
Been back to the doctors recently for my diabetes check up and I am now instead of high, I am only one point over (43)
So instead of the standard 6 month check up, I have one in 3 months and she is pretty confident I will no longer be classed as diabetic !
Three and a half months since food introduction and I now range between 11 stone 7 and 12 stone and I feel 10ft tall.

I cant thank the 2nd doctor enough for listening to me and taking time to care and book me on the course.

Amazing work - bravo (y)

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I'm a fatty, and need to lose weight.

BMI is 28, and trust me none of that is down to muscle.

I want to know your personal experiences in how you lost weight, the best techniques you've come across ect, as I generally have no idea and am a amateur in the subject. (Before a few months back, I hadn't weighed my self in over 2 years).

So yeah, I just need tips basically, cheers.
I lost a lot of weight this year. Quite a transformation for me. From 108kg to somewhere between 82-85 depending on the week Everyone's different but i:

Got the 'Myfitnesspal' app and ate only 1400-1600 calories a day. The app isn't perfect or perfectly accurate but it does have the added benefit of making you more mindful of what calorie content everything has and it stops you deluding yourself about what you eat. It's there in black and white every day.

I don't eat till 12pm / 1pm and then I have a large but very healthy lunch, usually poached egg, sourdough, tuna, salad with as many different plants and seeds on as possible, and fruit for afters.

And I don't eat later than 8pm

Removed all booze, all processed foods and all processed sugar (bar one brown sugar in my morning coffee) and make everything fresh and not from a packet. If there is any ingredient in anything that' I can't immediately identify as food it's ditched.

Only added carbs (I.e. those not in veg) are a very small amount of Brown Rice and Sourdough.

Evening meals are healthy. Usually a salad, or fried vegetables with a meat or other protein such as beans and pulses. Sauerkraut, Kimchee, pickled stuff etc for gut health and a lot of Greek yoghurtvwith fruit for pudding.

Snacks are fruit or mixed nuts, seeds, dates, dried fruit.

Drink loads and loads of water. Hydration is absolutely vital for weight loss as your metabolism and healthy cell reproduction relies on it.

I also started swimming. I go three times a week. Usually late at night when everyone else is in bed. Then when I was a bit thinner I got into running and run round Stanmer twice a week.

I record my weight, I did it initially every day or two, but now just once a week to keep an eye on it.

If I go out - usually twice a month or so on average I'll broadly eat whatever I want, but the interesting thing is, from eating a failry 'clean' diet a lot of the things I used to consider as treats or nice, are actually not so tasty or enjoyable or I really struggle to digest, so I tend to look for relatively health options now anyway - however i do make exceptions - all gloves were off for Rome and I had a pizza, cheeseburger and a few other nasties as well as wine and a few beers but just carried on where i left off when i got back and it goes again.

As a foodie I also got interested in and enjoyed the process of learning an entirely new way of cooking amd looking at food that was healthy which keeps me engaged.

The knock on effects are pretty wide, not just the weight loss, better skin, better gut health - which triggers all sorts of other positive effects on the nervous system and mental health. Also I'm now fitter than I've been before as an adult at 47.

I hope some of this is helpful. I 100% know that you can do it. Just write down a list of key rules you're going to stick to and start off slow (with the exercise) but make sure you stick to them. All the best!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I lost a lot of weight this year. Quite a transformation for me. From 108kg to somewhere between 82-85 depending on the week Everyone's different but i:

Got the 'Myfitnesspal' app and ate only 1400-1600 calories a day. The app isn't perfect or perfectly accurate but it does have the added benefit of making you more mindful of what calorie content everything has and it stops you deluding yourself about what you eat. It's there in black and white every day.

I don't eat till 12pm / 1pm and then I have a large but very healthy lunch, usually poached egg, sourdough, tuna, salad with as many different plants and seeds on as possible, and fruit for afters.

And I don't eat later than 8pm

Removed all booze, all processed foods and all processed sugar (bar one brown sugar in my morning coffee) and make everything fresh and not from a packet. If there is any ingredient in anything that' I can't immediately identify as food it's ditched.

Only added carbs (I.e. those not in veg) are a very small amount of Brown Rice and Sourdough.

Evening meals are healthy. Usually a salad, or fried vegetables with a meat or other protein such as beans and pulses. Sauerkraut, Kimchee, pickled stuff etc for gut health and a lot of Greek yoghurtvwith fruit for pudding.

Snacks are fruit or mixed nuts, seeds, dates, dried fruit.

Drink loads and loads of water. Hydration is absolutely vital for weight loss as your metabolism and healthy cell reproduction relies on it.

I also started swimming. I go three times a week. Usually late at night when everyone else is in bed. Then when I was a bit thinner I got into running and run round Stanmer twice a week.

I record my weight, I did it initially every day or two, but now just once a week to keep an eye on it.

If I go out - usually twice a month or so on average I'll broadly eat whatever I want, but the interesting thing is, from eating a failry 'clean' diet a lot of the things I used to consider as treats or nice, are actually not so tasty or enjoyable or I really struggle to digest, so I tend to look for relatively health options now anyway - however i do make exceptions - all gloves were off for Rome and I had a pizza, cheeseburger and a few other nasties as well as wine and a few beers but just carried on where i left off when i got back and it goes again.

As a foodie I also got interested in and enjoyed the process of learning an entirely new way of cooking amd looking at food that was healthy which keeps me engaged.

The knock on effects are pretty wide, not just the weight loss, better skin, better gut health - which triggers all sorts of other positive effects on the nervous system and mental health. Also I'm now fitter than I've been before as an adult at 47.

I hope some of this is helpful. I 100% know that you can do it. Just write down a list of key rules you're going to stick to and start off slow (with the exercise) but make sure you stick to them. All the best!
And I've only now just realised this is from 2013🤪

Oh well. All the advice still stands!

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024

That really is great work - very disciplined.

I'm only 5' 7" but came back from Rome just shy of 15st. Have got back onto a healthy diet and have lost 3 lbs over the last 5/6 days. My first target is 13st 9lbs so that I'm not 'obese' according to my BMI.

I've been on statins for a number of years (20mg) but haven't had a test for a couple of years or so. My brother who is 8 years younger than me has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He has lots of health issues sadly. I don't know how much he weighs but he can barely walk 10 yards and must be over 20st.

I'm hoping to arrange some blood tests next week to check where I am on cholesterol and HbA1c.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That really is great work - very disciplined.

I'm only 5' 7" but came back from Rome just shy of 15st. Have got back onto a healthy diet and have lost 3 lbs over the last 5/6 days. My first target is 13st 9lbs so that I'm not 'obese' according to my BMI.

I've been on statins for a number of years (20mg) but haven't had a test for a couple of years or so. My brother who is 8 years younger than me has just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He has lots of health issues sadly. I don't know how much he weighs but he can barely walk 10 yards and must be over 20st.

I'm hoping to arrange some blood tests next week to check where I am on cholesterol and HbA1c.
Mental motivation has a lot to do with it, and can be the block that keeps you in a rut, for me it was going to a psychobilly festival in Spain last year, seeing all my old mates and being just another fat bald psychobilly, so decided right at least I can do one thing, lose some weight so, and I bought a few nice hats :ROFLMAO:
strangely I was not worried about being fat at home or work, it was gradual build up of weight, after giving the tools up (floorlayer) but still eating like I was burning it off at work, but obviously the weight gradually went up, my mental health went down, and I just could not be arsed.
Until I had a chat with a mate in Spain, about life and friends/family we have lost, which coincided with the offer of the course, timing and circumstances are the key.
jobs a good un.

Good luck

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Eat less. Exercise more. Generally a winning ticket here.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

That’s excellent and I’m really pleased for you. Sounds like a great diabetes clinic - and well done re.the alcohol too. Tbh alcohol intake has not been an issue for 30 years for me after I tipped half a bottle of JD down the sink because I started to have kidney pains after taking shots before going to work in the morning- my alcohol consumption was that bad. However carbs are an issue because it is what my body craves when very fatigued for some reason. I have never really had a sweet tooth.

I don’t have diabetes so I don’t have access to that support - it sounds amazing - my weight is literally due to declining mobility due to a progressive neurological disease and eating junk food when I’m too fatigued to cook. I need to find ways to cut down even further on my food intake whilst digging deep to find enough energy to prepare well balanced home cooked meals that are very low calorie fat sugar and carbs - I am not burning up calories due to having to use a wheelchair and mobility scooter much of the time, and already insulin resistant because of an autoimmune disease, also on steroids ( which means I keep my sugar intake low anyway because steroids push your blood sugar levels up) and with post operative gall bladder surgery all conspiring to put on the pounds. A dodgy kidney also means I get a bit of fluid retention which doesn’t help. I probably need to live on a perpetual low calorie low fat low carb diet which is really hard 🙁

I was hoping for some meal ideas tbh honest too - that are nice and feeling but are good for you the same time!

I can’t believe you managed to live on 800 calories a day - there’s no way I would manage that for 5 months - not without being able to pursue physical activities to motivate me and take my mind off it. The problem is being overweight really affects your self image, can make you feel fed up and actually exacerbates all the neuro-muscular symptoms.

I may see if I can get onto some kind of program- maybe even see whether I can be prescribed something to help.

I find your story quite inspiring.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I can’t believe you managed to live on 800 calories a day - there’s no way I would manage that for 5 months - not without being able to pursue physical activities to motivate me and take my mind off it.
You simply are so zapped on so few calories, I did not feel like it, they also do not recommend high physical exercise as it would put other strains on your body that could be adverse.
I find your story quite inspiring.
thanks, note I am quite weak willed to be honest and easily tempted and do most things to excess, including booze.
I have cut it back, but still can put two bottles of wine away on weekend night if I fancy it, but I don't that much anymore, just cant be arsed with having a foggy head in the morning, so try to stick to one or one and a half, im usually ok with that the next day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here