Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Losing Macalister & Caicedo

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolutely this. Anyone but those scousers. My most hated big 6 team.
Liverpool? I would say they’re my favorite. I quite like Arsenal as well…just for that ATV channel and all the fam and blud and general overreactions. Highbury and Islington is a nice part of London also.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Who's paying 100m for Caicedo this summer?

Arsenal.

Kroenke’s been financially doping the squad over the 3 or 4 years. Under the radar, the biased London based media won’t cover it.

They’ll want to spend £200m on Rice and Caicedo, plus a spend on a striker too. Then claim, Arteta likes talking about club finances and FFP, that CL income is bankrolling the vast spend.

You heard it here first.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Arsenal.

Kroenke’s been financially doping the squad over the 3 or 4 years. Under the radar, the biased London based media won’t cover it.

They’ll want to spend £200m on Rice and Caicedo, plus a spend on a striker too. Then claim, Arteta likes talking about club finances and FFP, that CL income is bankrolling the vast spend.

You heard it here first.
Hate Arsenal with a passion.

Would prefer both of them went abroad (if they leave)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hate Arsenal with a passion.

Would prefer both of them went abroad (if they leave)

It’s the London clubs. Arrogant Cockneys or Sussex based plastics who jumped on the Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs ships.

Turns out many feel the same. I read assorted clubs fora as the Citeh-Arsenal run in was nip n tuck. A common theme was “Will always resent the FFP sports-washers, but overriding that, anything but the loathsome London clubs/fans”.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You make a good point in that why would Mac or Caceido even consider going to Chelsea when they won’t have European football next season. And if we qualify for the Europa League then surely that eliminates Liverpool from the equation too if they fail to make the top 4 as well as Spurs.
If we qualify for the Europa League, the likelihood is that it will be along with Liverpool, so European football would be guaranteed either waym but with double the wages at Liverpool.
I imagine both of them would relish a big money move - maybe though, they should hope Chelsea isn't the only bidder!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Arsenal.

You heard it here first.
We'll have to wait and see. Personally I just can't see them spending that much on two players when they'd still need several more.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We'll have to wait and see. Personally I just can't see them spending that much on two players when they'd still need several more.

Arsenal, much of the time without CL income, have spent £963m on transfer fees in 7 years. Under the radar, the only other non-football finance expert I’m aware of who cottoned onto this FFP mystery is @Kinky Gerbils . Arteta is incredibly defensive about it. Their ascent this season is certainly no Cinderella story. Blowing the likes of Liverpool and Spurs out of the water on spending for years.

With CL income my guess is another £250m slug this summer including Rice and Caicedo.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
And Leandro Trossard has. And Dan Burn has.

The jury is out on Cucurella and Bissouma, but there have been extenuating circumstances for both of their respective first seasons away. Their bank accounts will undoubtedly have been boosted somewhat.
Disagree about Trossard and Burn. Trossard will get abuse soon enough from the entitled gooners and he won't be close to their first 11 next year if they strengthen. He's not good enough. Dan Burn is playing for his home own club so he's happy but he won't get in next year if they qualify for the CL. If we had our 8 extra points from VAR, we'd be level on points with the Saudi barcodes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disagree about Trossard and Burn. Trossard will get abuse soon enough from the entitled gooners and he won't be close to their first 11 next year if they strengthen. He's not good enough. Dan Burn is playing for his home own club so he's happy but he won't get in next year if they qualify for the CL. If we had our 8 extra points from VAR, we'd be level on points with the Saudi barcodes.
.......so you argument is now based on two counts of supposition. :shrug:

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
.......so you argument is now based on two counts of supposition. :shrug:
No my point is they haven't massively gone on to bigger and better things given whether they can get into their team (Trossard) or how much higher up the table their new team is (Newcastle). I wasn't thinking of Burn who reportedly said the only club he would have left us for was his home town club. It's Bissouma and Cucurella who excelled at us but have struggled at their new clubs big time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Arsenal, much of the time without CL income, have spent £963m on transfer fees in 7 years. Under the radar, the only other non-football finance expert I’m aware of who cottoned onto this FFP mystery is @Kinky Gerbils . Arteta is incredibly defensive about it. Their ascent this season is certainly no Cinderella story. Blowing the likes of Liverpool and Spurs out of the water on spending for years.

With CL income my guess is another £250m slug this summer including Rice and Caicedo.
I think FFP is a thing or it's not

Man City are breaking it every year, it's fact

What the PL do over it is key

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Can someone please provide a link to where RDZ was discussing all this. I have seen several post match interviews and not heard the discussion about Ali Mac and Caicedo. What I did here and to me is more worrying than losing a couple of players is that RDZ is extremely motivated to achieve at the highest levels, I wonder.just how long we can keep hold of him. Personally I would love for Lallana to move straight into an assistant managerial role as an apprentice to RDZ with the idea that he could step up to the role when RDZ moves on.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Arsenal/premier league finances/spending is another interesting side discussion. I've had a quick google but haven't found anything consistent. From what I've seen Arsenal's spending doesn't look too out of place for the size of club they are.

On topic, even with 250m I'm still not convinced that after spending 100m of it on Rice they'd then spend another 100m on Caicedo. They have more areas of need to fill after midfield. They already have Partey, they'll have Rice do they really need or want to spend 100m on another defensive midfielder?

Tielemens is on a free. Mount will be half the price. Madison will be cheaper. Kovacic will be cheaper. Any number of quality players across Europe will be cheaper. Buy one of them and they'll have plenty of money left over for other areas of the pitch.

Maybe I'm being naive or just indulging in wishful thinking but I just can't see Arsenal buying Caicedo if they buy rice.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The reasons they can go with their heads held high are Mac: well its totally obvious, but Moises too, both have given everything so far and both signed new long contracts this season putting us in the best negotiating positions possible.
If the press reports are true, while those contracts don't contain a release clause per se, there is some kind of similar mechanism which serves a similar purpose.

From David Ornstein (The Athletic):
This is thought not to be a typical release clause other clubs may simply trigger, leaving the player to choose their next step, but a more complex feature that gives Brighton a say over the outcome.

This appears to be a cost of extending the contracts and may mean that the club isn't in quite as strong a position as they would have been by extending without this mystery clause (though would they have been able to extend without it?).

It's guesswork, but I reckon it's just a way of getting a sensible compromise. Both got a decent pay bump, transfer speculation went away for a time and the club got full focus & effort from them both. The payback will be (IMO) that the club won't be able to hold out for as eye-watering a fee as would have been the case otherwise.

We'll see!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Arsenal/premier league finances/spending is another interesting side discussion. I've had a quick google but haven't found anything consistent. From what I've seen Arsenal's spending doesn't look too out of place for the size of club they are.

On topic, even with 250m I'm still not convinced that after spending 100m of it on Rice they'd then spend another 100m on Caicedo. They have more areas of need to fill after midfield. They already have Partey, they'll have Rice do they really need or want to spend 100m on another defensive midfielder?

Tielemens is on a free. Mount will be half the price. Madison will be cheaper. Kovacic will be cheaper. Any number of quality players across Europe will be cheaper. Buy one of them and they'll have plenty of money left over for other areas of the pitch.

Maybe I'm being naive or just indulging in wishful thinking but I just can't see Arsenal buying Caicedo if they buy rice.
Yep, that’s exactly what was wrong with Piers Morgan’s wish list. Rice and Caicedo are very similar types of player.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Regarding Arsenal’s £963m gross spend on fees over 7 years, I got the numbers from Swiss Ramble in two different places, because he splits it between pre and post summer 2021. I think @El Presidente rates his analysis.

That’s in the realm of PSG, Chelsea and Manure I think. When they often lacked CL income. Kroenke has been steadily pumping in £100m’s in recent years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here