[Albion] Losing Macalister & Caicedo

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Got to say, constantly seeing Romano Tweets pasted on here is making a mockery of my blocking of the bellend on Twitter

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Out of Rice or Caciedo I know who I would be pursuing with more interest if I was Arsenal.

We might have a slightly inflated view of Caicedo, but that is nothing compared to the general inflated view that is seems to be applied to Rice.

Given City and MU may well be looking to strengthen in other positions, and Liverpool set on MacA, if Rice does go to Arsenal, it might be Chelsea is Caicedo's only remaining option for a big PL move - a move that would mean no European football.

Caicedo is young enough that give it another year, do well in Europe with us, and he might have Real, Barca, Bayern and the rest all knocking at his door rather than taking a big risk at a basketcase like Chelsea at the moment.
Yes, that's the footballing argument. Unfortunately it is blown to pieces by the argument that starts (and ends) with "£150K a week+".

I really hope (from a footballing point of view) that he doesn't go to the shit-hole that is Chelsea FC. I can see the attraction from the Albion's point of view, but it would still feel like a shame to sacrifice Moises' footballing career and progress to get Colwill (much as I'd like us to get Colwill).

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Out of Rice or Caciedo I know who I would be pursuing with more interest if I was Arsenal.

We might have a slightly inflated view of Caicedo, but that is nothing compared to the general inflated view that is seems to be applied to Rice.

Given City and MU may well be looking to strengthen in other positions, and Liverpool set on MacA, if Rice does go to Arsenal, it might be Chelsea is Caicedo's only remaining option for a big PL move - a move that would mean no European football.

Caicedo is young enough that give it another year, do well in Europe with us, and he might have Real, Barca, Bayern and the rest all knocking at his door rather than taking a big risk at a basketcase like Chelsea at the moment.
Everything you have written here makes complete sense, and would be my ideal scenario - but when agents and families start scenting huge wads of cash, logic and what is best for the player tends to fly out of the window. Personally, I'm surprised that big continental clubs aren't already looking at Caicedo.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You do wonder how much advice players will take from other players. Pervis and Mac are both players who are a little further down the line, both love the club, and both can vouch for not rushing. Pervis, if he continues last season's form, will eventually get a massive move, I suspect, and Mac has obviously got his (Dad's) dream move. I'd hope they've said 'no rush kiddo'.
I get the money thing and I get ambition but he's so young. Realistically he could be here another 4 or 5 seasons and still get one or two huge moves in his career. So I do hope people (he'd listen to) have had a word in his ear.
Well, we can but dream .....................

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have they gone yet?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Everything you have written here makes complete sense, and would be my ideal scenario - but when agents and families start scenting huge wads of cash, logic and what is best for the player tends to fly out of the window. Personally, I'm surprised that big continental clubs aren't already looking at Caicedo.
Continental clubs:

Real - buying Bellingham;
Barca - can’t afford him;
PSG - signing Ugarte;
Bayern - Tuchel wants Rice.

That’s your lot, no other sides in those leagues can afford him and nor can the Italian teams. The Premier League is so bloated financially, they’ve got a very limited market to sell to in Europe which is why we’re going to see so many inter-PL moves, like Italy in the 90’s. The only real potential option this summer is Bayern if Rice doesn’t work out.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
You do wonder how much advice players will take from other players. Pervis and Mac are both players who are a little further down the line, both love the club, and both can vouch for not rushing. Pervis, if he continues last season's form, will eventually get a massive move, I suspect, and Mac has obviously got his (Dad's) dream move. I'd hope they've said 'no rush kiddo'.
I get the money thing and I get ambition but he's so young. Realistically he could be here another 4 or 5 seasons and still get one or two huge moves in his career. So I do hope people (he'd listen to) have had a word in his ear.
No rush kiddo, but unfortunately money (and his new agent) talks. Even if it’s Chelsea he goes to he will be on way more money and will be able to showcase his talent to a larger audience.

If he succeeds there he might still end up at a Madrid or Barcelona later anyway.

Pervis may be a bit older but I wouldn’t expect more loyalty from him to be honest. I suspect after Mac and Caicedo, Pervis and Mitoma are the most likely sales next summer as they approach their peaks (form depending).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The weird thing about pervis is that he came from a bigger club than us in Villarreal. It really is all about money isn't it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The weird thing about pervis is that he came from a bigger club than us in Villarreal. It really is all about money isn't it.
It absolutely is. Don't get me wrong, qualifying for European football is absolutely brilliant as a fan and something most of us could only have dreamt of a couple of years ago. However, I think we overestimate the the lure of it to players, for whom it means extra mid-week games, mostly involving a few hours travel, and in many cases to play against opposition that is of a lower standard to the week-in-week-out opponents of the Premier League.

For example, Trossard would have been playing Champions League with Genk if he'd not left to join us the summer after we'd norrowly avoided relegation.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Watching things like this do not make me feel any better about the prospect of losing Caicedo you can see why the club will be pursuing top money for him the guy is a machine

Recommend turning the sound off!!!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Romano wrote the Guardian article didn't he? The Times can just use that as a source, so it ends up just recycled news from 1 person.
I don´t know who wrote it. I cannot see any names there.
Do you know he wrote it?
I am getting daily prompts on my phone from the Liverpool Echo. Is that the source?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don´t know who wrote it. I cannot see any names there.
Do you know he wrote it?
I am getting daily prompts on my phone from the Liverpool Echo. Is that the source?
Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 12.34.53.png

From the Guardian.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
For Caicedo there will almost certainly be a bidding war between Chelsea and Arsenal which will be interesting. Arsenal the far more appealing club right now but Chelsea are likely to offer more. Arsenal would stop, you'd think, Chelsea seem to have no limit.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
And then there was one.
Looking forward to next binfest, a week off would be good though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For Caicedo there will almost certainly be a bidding war between Chelsea and Arsenal which will be interesting. Arsenal the far more appealing club right now but Chelsea are likely to offer more. Arsenal would stop, you'd think, Chelsea seem to have no limit.
Not if Arsenal agree a fee for Rice early doors with West Ham which is what they aim to do as soon as the Conference final is out of the way. They won't get involved with Caicedo if that happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports