Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lord Nelson Albion Player Photos

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Won't seem quite the same without the photos. have heard that Chris at the Romans is selling up too so no more blue and white bunting in Manor Hall road. I was told that Graham also owned the Poets Corner so if true wonder if he's letting that go too!

southasp

Jan 24, 2009
portslade
MTL

I am glad to hear the postcards and photo's have gone to a good home, I was tipped off about them being up for sale due to Graham leaving,but unfortunately you beat me to it! By the time I had contacted him they had already been sold.
The Bhachs collection has all but one of the cards / photo's from the Nelson.
Many of the photo's in the Nelson collection are in fact cabinet size cigarette cards.
If you would like any more info on exactly what you have, please feel free to pm me.

Many of you may know that landlord Graham has left the Nelson in Trafalgar Street. And the next time you go in all the albion memorabelia will have gone.

So just to let you know, the classic photos of the Albion players from 1906-1936 with 6595 appearances between them are safely with a northstander. Me.

There are 73 in total, 10 of them signed. Brilliant that there's a signed photo of Tommy Cook in his England shirt.

Next steps will be to get all the photos scanned so you can all have access to them. Then I'm having them re-framed in acid free material and under full UV protection glass. This should keep them safe for another 100 years.

Currently my plan is to keep hold of them and bequeath them to the club when I peg out.

I've made a spreadsheet of the players, dates and appearances. Just shout with your email if you'd like a copy.

There's a mysterious player with no record in Tim C's and Roger Harris's history. Any clues about "Potter-Smith" anyone?

There were some other bits and pieces which I've been asked to pass on the REMF or AITC. These are a couple of photos of the 1927-28 team, the original flyer for Brighton til I die framed and a junior framed shirt signed by the Coppell team with a plaque for the Nelson sponsoring Dean Hammond's shirt in 2003. If you're connected with either the REMF or AITC drop me a line and I'll get them to you.

Cheers
MTL

Mr Talk Loudly

Aug 6, 2011
Good News - Tim Carder

Good news; heard from Tim Carder today that ALL the pics I have are already in his hands. That's not going to change the digital sharing or proper preservation. So will let you know when and when to find them once I've got them digitised.

Had a big offer to buy some of them, the signed ones I suspect, but really wanted to keep it together as a collection. Special times in the Nelson when we were back in Brighton and Corky and Micky were drinking in there. Felt that these old players were watching us...

The other bits and pieces going to AITC for auction so look out on their ebay site.

MTL

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
I was told that Graham also owned the Poets Corner so if true wonder if he's letting that go too!

Graham got rid of the Poets a couple of years ago.

Harveys have bought the old Rightpower shop next to the Nelson and are applying
for planning permission to knock through to it and making the pub larger.

I've also heard rumour that the new landlord wants to make it a student pub!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, Brighton needs some balance from all the student unfriendly pubs ... :moo:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Might I suggest you contact Tim Carder (The History Man on NSC) who is assembling material for the Museum at the stadium, on behalf of the Albion Historians' Society?
Which is due to open when...? I've heard three different dates....all passed now and gone....has anybody got a definate date...?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Graham got rid of the Poets a couple of years ago.

Harveys have bought the old Rightpower shop next to the Nelson and are applying
for planning permission to knock through to it and making the pub larger.

good lord no! I read somewhere that the Nelson used to be two pubs anyway?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Big thanks to you, MR LOUD for saving all this great material.

That was our match day regular pub throughout most of the Withdean years, so I have spent a fair bit of time looking at the fine collection of memorabilia on the walls.

Have you spoken to anyone yet about ensuring they can hopefully end up in a home at Falmer. We have people on here with experience of scanning (Hiney and his programmes and Goldstone Rapper with his blog). I loved the fact Tommy Cook was up on the walls in the Nelson, its a fantastic and sad story, playing for England, Brighton & Hove and Sussex CCC and fighting in both world wars.

Sussex (cricket world) have a really good museum you may find they are also interested in showing the signed picture.

http://www.sussexcricketworld.com

The scanned programmes is a fantastic project and if you could get the material online it is the most wonderful waste of time, especially with winter coming.

http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/bhafc-historians/4568556631

Good luck and keep us updated.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
yes, Brighton needs some balance from all the student unfriendly pubs ... :moo:

I happened to be in the Lord Nelson after the game the other week and some slightly confused students walked in, one of them went up and asked for a pint and was told that would be £4.30 or similar and the rest asked for halfs (not sure if I can really blame them, but I guess it serves them right for asking for Kronenberg rather than Harveys!!). More amusingly Lond Nelson the pub that it is rather then chatting up girls they ended up having an awkward discusion with some old bloke by the bar.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Big thanks to you, MR LOUD for saving all this great material.

That was our match day regular pub throughout most of the Withdean years, so I have spent a fair bit of time looking at the fine collection of memorabilia on the walls.

Have you spoken to anyone yet about ensuring they can hopefully end up in a home at Falmer. We have people on here with experience of scanning (Hiney and his programmes and Goldstone Rapper with his blog). I loved the fact Tommy Cook was up on the walls in the Nelson, its a fantastic and sad story, playing for England, Brighton & Hove and Sussex CCC and fighting in both world wars.

Sussex (cricket world) have a really good museum you may find they are also interested in showing the signed picture.

http://www.sussexcricketworld.com

The scanned programmes is a fantastic project and if you could get the material online it is the most wonderful waste of time, especially with winter coming.

http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/bhafc-historians/4568556631

Good luck and keep us updated.

I would be happy to host the 'Nelson Collection' on the Seagulls Programmes website. I've been meaning to look at an 'Other Memorabilia' section for a while - this could be the push I want/need!

Let me know if I can help

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I would be happy to host the 'Nelson Collection' on the Seagulls Programmes website. I've been meaning to look at an 'Other Memorabilia' section for a while - this could be the push I want/need!

Could we share? :kiss:

Mr Talk Loudly

Aug 6, 2011
Perfect!

Thank you - makes loads more sense to have them with you than on some flickr account. albion players nelson.png This link should get you to a pic of the a spreadsheet of the players. it works well if you insert it into powerpoint or similar. I'll be back in touch once we've got quality scanning completed. MTL

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Absolutely - the idea is that any Albion fan can use them as they want. The more they get seen and used the better. These men were heroes.

Thank you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here