Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking forward to next season, who from the existing squad would be a starter?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This whole thread is really dependent on what CH decides to do next year formation wise. Assuming he continues as he is, then trying to keep hold of Tex will be key as there aren't many players in the Championship capable of coming close to what he can do in that position.

Obviously the next question would be whether we can keep Bennett or upgrade him through a different loan option. Once those two decisions are made, then the most obvious positions to upgrade are at CB (probably instead of Greer), an inverted RW if Calderon doesn't stay or at least another option, and then a striker who can hold the ball up, bring others into play, run the channels and who will actually score. I think the current system suits COG best out of our current strikers but an upgrade would be brilliant with him as a back up.

All of those things are pretty dependent on CH's view of how he wants us to play when he's had a pre-season to bed new players in and sign players he wants for his preferred style of play though.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hasnt figured much for Burnley but would TB want to make an offer having been badly turned down once.

As I saw it we were not turned down.

The club spent the summer faffing around over Ward, almost as if they did not want to pay his wages for a couple of months, so leave him at Wolves, then sign on deadline day.

However that strategy went wrong were Burnley got involved.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Obviously the squad needs strengthening but worth bearing in mind that with the existing players and since Hyypia left we've had 18 points from 11 games. Victories over Ipswich, Leeds, Fulham, Birmingham and Charlton is not the same as Bournemouth, Boro, and Norwich, the Blackpool defeat was perplexing and obviously next Tuesday against Derby will give us a much clearer idea whether its just a blip but we've had some really encouraging performances in the last month or so.
And 18 points from 11 games by the way equates to a 75 point season over 46 games. Thats well inside Play Off territory. And thats with the existing squad.

Perhaps, after all, when Tony Bloom said [he'd funded] a competitive squad he was right. In the hands of a capable manager that is...

Thanks [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION], that saved me a bit of writing. I never understand some people's desire for a complete squad overhaul - this group of players have been through an up and down season, but now they have a manager who seems to be getting good performances out of them. Talk of just retaining three or four is madness, IMO. Possible strengthening at CB and up front but with the latter, I would wait and see how they get on for the rest of the season before calling for wholesale changes.

Also, if you look at the likes of Derby – and Burnley both last season and this – haven't they grown with a relatively unchanged squad for a few seasons?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here