Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking forward to next season, who from the existing squad would be a starter?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stockdale

Dunk

Ince
Calderon
Kayal
(Tex)

Baldock

Subs : Walton, Bruno, Crofts, Stephens, March, Lua Lua, OGrady

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think we should let many of our players go. Players that don't play like Paddy and Agustien need to go but I think we need to keep stability so we should get:
A left back,
A centre back (especially if we sell Dunk but hopefully Rea can step up),
A good winger to replace Buckley.
A striker if a good enpugh one is available but I think our current ones are good enough.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it will be similar in terms of numbers to last summer. There's lots out of contract and on loans that will end, I can see 4 or 5 new first teamers and 5 or 6 squad players. Getting another loan for Teixeira would be huge, even if only for 3 months just to give the start of the season some impetus.

Kayal, Ince, Stephens, Baldock, Dunk, Bruno, Stockdale look like they could be starters, we definitely need a pacy centre back and decent big forward.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sell/Release:
Greer
Bruno
CMS
O'Grady

Haven't we just offered Bruno a new contract? And I'm sure O'Grady is on a three-year deal. I certainly wouldn't sell COG, he's a decent player at this level

We certainly need a CB, Greer is looking really creaky and it's too soon for Rea to step up - although I'm sure we'll see him before the end of the season

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It really depends upon how the rest of the season goes. If we build momentum with this squad, I would be loathe to make wholesale changes. Having said that, we need to look for a Greer replacement and to replace some of the loans with permies. So:

Centre Back
Permanent Left Back
Permanent creative midfielder
Ulloa replacement
Keep Calde
Plus there may be one or two from the academy ready to move up.

Then bring in a young right back for Bruno/Calde to mentor if no-one coming through the ranks.

If we go down, sack them all and start again.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I think there will be places to fill and strengthen the team without a massive clear out of the current first team.

Hughes, McCourt, Colunga, Ankergren, Monakana, Chicksen, Maksimenko, will go and loanees Halford, Best, Texeira, Bennett will all need to be replaced. So Hughton should be able to bring in players to bolster this squad.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think there will be places to fill and strengthen the team without a massive clear out of the current first team.

Hughes, McCourt, Colunga, Ankergren, Monakana, Chicksen, Maksimenko, will go and loanees Halford, Best, Texeira, Bennett will all need to be replaced. So Hughton should be able to bring in players to bolster this squad.

What about CMS?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In the summer we could do with getting :

2 strikers

1 Tex replacement
1 winger

1 left back
1 younger rightback
2 central defenders ( Rea probably 1 of these ).

Keep poachers away from Kayal, Ince and March.

Last edited:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I am not saying whether or not I would keep CMS or COG, but just pointing out with the players I have listed, there is an awful lot of recruitment Hughton can do to strengthen, by just replacing those listed. I would go further and say we are so heavy in midfield I would not be surprised to see Crofts let go.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Obviously the squad needs strengthening but worth bearing in mind that with the existing players and since Hyypia left we've had 18 points from 11 games. Victories over Ipswich, Leeds, Fulham, Birmingham and Charlton is not the same as Bournemouth, Boro, and Norwich, the Blackpool defeat was perplexing and obviously next Tuesday against Derby will give us a much clearer idea whether its just a blip but we've had some really encouraging performances in the last month or so.
And 18 points from 11 games by the way equates to a 75 point season over 46 games. Thats well inside Play Off territory. And thats with the existing squad.

Perhaps, after all, when Tony Bloom said [he'd funded] a competitive squad he was right. In the hands of a capable manager that is...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Obviously the squad needs strengthening but worth bearing in mind that with the existing players and since Hyypia left we've had 18 points from 11 games. Victories over Ipswich, Leeds, Fulham, Birmingham and Charlton is not the same as Bournemouth, Boro, and Norwich. Also the Blackpool defeat was perplexing but hey.. Obviously next Tuesday against Derby will give us a much clearer idea of the improvement or not...

And 18 points from 11 games by the way equates to a 75 point season over 46 games. Thats well inside Play Off territory. And thats with the existing squad.

Perhaps, after all, when Tony Bloom said [he'd funded] a competitive squad he was right. In the hands of a capable manager that is...

Wise words Jem.

Please, please, please, please can you do a '16 things...' for last night? x

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think the key will be Tex. If Tony is prepared to push the boat out we can build a team around him for next 5, 6, 7 years or more. But he is really going to cost and his stock will keep increasing if he carries on putting in stunning performances like the past two games. He is a great watch; really exciting. Are the Chairman's pockets deep enough? Only time will tell.

Last edited:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Obviously the squad needs strengthening but worth bearing in mind that with the existing players and since Hyypia left we've had 18 points from 11 games. Victories over Ipswich, Leeds, Fulham, Birmingham and Charlton is not the same as Bournemouth, Boro, and Norwich. Also the Blackpool defeat was perplexing but hey.. Obviously next Tuesday against Derby will give us a much clearer idea of the improvement or not...

Yep perhaps you could say take a pat on the back Tony for funding player recruitment, but take a kick up the backside for recruiting the people to manage them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Squad of 26

Stockdale
Walton
Ankers ( out of contract )

Bruno
Calderon ( out of contract )
New younger right back
New left back