Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Longest Period Of Time Spent Away From The UK

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Some interesting life choices on this thread.
I’ve always thought working abroad must be a great experience.
For one reason or another it’s never quite happened for me.
Maybe one day.

Dec 29, 2011
I've been in Australia for about18 years now.

I have been coming back every couple of years. I think I spent my first 6 or 7 in Australia without a return.

Bloody hard not getting back in 2020, I am hoping these vaccines work and I get back sometime this year.

Do you miss friends and family? How do you stay connected and relevant in one another's lives without drifting apart?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Three and a half weeks working in Sardinia covering Easter.

Not warm enough to swim in the sea quite, but like an early summer day here. So able to eat outside every
night, drink their wine and beer (which is great), tour the island (it's driveable) and stay in fabulous agroturismos on some
days off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Left England for Sydney in August 2002. Came back to live in Hove in August 2006 to have my son here having spent a year in Oz, eight months in Tokyo and the rest of the time in Taipei.

I would have happily settled out in Asia but the Mrs wanted to bring the kids up here so here we are. On one of the projects a trip home every three months was part of the package but one of the Christmases in Taipei was very busy work wise and everyone else was buggering off home. So we skipped a trip and I picked up a bonus for working. Delayed the next trip as well - so the answer to the question is approximately eight months,

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Been very lucky and have been pretty much everywhere apart from eastern Europe for some reason but settled in Melbourne for 2 years , then Wellington NZ , 3 years , but for all the worlds beauty there's still no place like home .

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think the longest for me is just 6 weeks on a mountaineering expedition to India in 1989.

Other than that, I lived in Cornwall for 2 years (only time my home has been more than 15 miles from my birthplace), though we did come back quite often.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
14 years in Mallorca. Owned an apartment with kids all in Spanish schools. It is always parents health that brings people back, in our case my father. We sold everything saying that if we kept it we would be tempted to return.
12 months ago we started planning for our return when first covid and now brexit put a stop to it. Even had the Albion sorted, living close to an airport serviced by Easyjet!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Three and a half weeks working in Sardinia covering Easter.

Not warm enough to swim in the sea quite, but like an early summer day here. So able to eat outside every
night, drink their wine and beer (which is great), tour the island (it's driveable) and stay in fabulous agroturismos on some
days off.

I spent a year in Sardinia- what a place! Superlative food, wine, mountains, beaches, people and beer; Ichnusa non-filtrata, in particular, is great. Watching Cagliari, in with the ultras, on the Curva Nord is a top football experience too. Shame my boss was a wanker or I'd have happily stayed.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I spent a year in Sardinia- what a place! Superlative food, wine, mountains, beaches, people and beer; Ichnusa non-filtrata, in particular, is great. Watching Cagliari, in with the ultras, on the Curva Nord is a top football experience too. Shame my boss was a wanker or I'd have happily stayed.

Totally agree Bakero. The fish dishes/restaurants there are extraordinary (and cheap). Having local knowledge (a wine
sommelier and a restaurant goer as friends) helped.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I went to live and work in Switzerland for 3 years after the Poyet play-off loss to Crystal Palace in 2013 (not because of it, however!). With Potterball a return to watch FC Zurich is appealing.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Left Brighton in November 1971 for Copenhagen - had fallen in love with a danish girl, then moved to Mexico in 1995 for work and still here now retired. Usually back in Brighton a couple of times a year however no been back since mid 2019 due to COVID!! Hopefully can get
back once vaccinated this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here