Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Longest Period Of Time Spent Away From The UK

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
We've lived in Asia for 13 years. Back in England temporarily, back to splitting time between Singapore/Mumbai later this year.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I moved to Toronto in 2015, but 2020 is the first year I've gone without setting foot in the UK. I was there for Christmas 2019 and came back to Canada on 28th December.

I have a trip booked for June, so it will be almost 18 months by the time I visit the UK again.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
6 months working between Germany and Israel, installing point of sale systems in stores and training the locals on how to do it. During the early 90s

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I consider myself and latterly Mrs Jakarta, as world travellers and there isn't a Continent we haven't done including Antarctica which by the way is a Bucket List Must. However thinking back about it none of them have involved us being out of the UK for more than a month!

For Mrs J's health issues our Retirement Plans have changed but we were seriously interested in me retiring and a Lake Garda Flat while Jakarta Towers got rented out and we learned Italian.

For obvious reasons the food/drink/weather is slightly better, would miss my Harveys and visits to the Amex of course.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
3 months living in Wiltshire.
Believe me when I say, the locals there are from a different planet and I couldn't wait to get back home to England???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Continuous overseas without a single trip home? (many posts on here are not these): 2 years. Twice. Both in Vancouver. (4 years away with a week back here right in the middle).

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Two months in Australia following the Ashes series in 1990/91.

Thirty years later, my liver remains terrified that I may repeat the trip.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Left to do a ski season in France in 2001, ended up doing them until 2010, spent several summers out there too. Used to get a break between the seasons so I’d generally get to all Albion games up until late November and then the last few of each season when I was home for a month. In the early days it was tough keeping up with things as the internet was still very scarce act that time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How did enjoy Vancouver Harry, we thought it was wonderful?

Stunning. In 1982 when I arrived it had the ambience of Eastbourne; two pubs, nothing to do on a Sunday. And then I saw for the first time a child-centred society (where you nurtured your kids rather than slap them and insist they be seen and not heard), learned to ski, and found an amazing nightlife where people were friendly in the 'weird' clubs rather than snooty, and you could walk home from down town without being attacked by Teds and Skins for looking 'queer'. Amazing food, CITR (the university radio station), eleven TV channes! (Ok 9 of them were shite). Was I mad to come home? Probably :lolol: :thumbsup:

(My son was born there and could live there yet he loves it in North Kent, the oddball :mad:)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
8 years, 8 months which came to an end just over 3 months ago.

Still in Brighton for now, but heading back soon enough.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've been in Australia for about18 years now.

I have been coming back every couple of years. I think I spent my first 6 or 7 in Australia without a return.

Bloody hard not getting back in 2020, I am hoping these vaccines work and I get back sometime this year.

Last edited:

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
Lived in France for ten years until health reasons bought us back. The longest period, during that time, not visiting the UK was about eighteen months.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Day trip to Dieppe ...apols ...wasn’t even a whole day..got homesick came back

I spent 30 minutes in Dieppe once. On the boat, got loads of fags, back home again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here