Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Road - Open Market

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
This. Dreadful area. We take our custom to George Street Hove nowadays. Even Ransoms is on its way now. I remember when WH Smith, Marks and Sparks and Sainburys brought almost a level of sophistication to the area when you combined them with the locally run shops. Now you can't take a walk along London Road without bumping into a junkie who has shit his pants.

Yep sad but true x

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sadly Baker Street is finished even William Hill has moved around the corner to London Road. Only Bardsleys and the Mitre keeping the demolition crews out.

Well apart from Bangers luvverly pie shop, Coombs longtime pet shop, the haircutter on the former site of Coopers now feat. the bloke who used to have Blue Planet shop at Preston circus etc etc.

D

Deleted User X18H

Well apart from Bangers luvverly pie shop, Coombs longtime pet shop, the haircutter on the former site of Coopers now feat. the bloke who used to have Blue Planet shop at Preston circus etc etc.
What the Geordie bloke with grey hair?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
there's also a decent second hand record shop on the Coopers side - lovely guy, sells hifi & some decent guitars too :) :albion2:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
there's also a decent second hand record shop on the Coopers side - lovely guy, sells hifi & some decent guitars too :) :albion2:

That'll be Monkey Music Emporium.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I only every used to get taken down to the Open Market by my Grandparents to do their weekly grocery shopping - fresh meat, veg etc in the mid 80's and remember it being nothing but a vibrant wonderful place.

Then in the late 80's early 90's I remember it being one of the only places to buy these little blighters that were a massive hit in the school playground for about a week:-

muscle.jpg

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Six months on from the start of this thread. Can anyone give me an update on progress?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Completely levelled now and foundations being dug out.

Shame theres no webcam, but knowing that area it would probably be stolen to feed a drug habit. :D

Where are the existing traders now?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well they were on the road that runs alongside the market but that seems to have been swallowed up by the site.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Shame theres no webcam, but knowing that area it would probably be stolen to feed a drug habit. :D

Most of them are in the adjoining street (can't remember its name) - work seems to be picking up pace

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury

Existing traders are just round the corner at the moment.
The hoardings have been put up around the bus shelter, leaving that as a window onto the works. I think that's a nice touch.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
So how is it progressing?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Shooting up. Traders now shifted to the other side of the market, entrance next to the Druid's Head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here