Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Road - Open Market

The Open Market is just an empty shell now. Same as about 90% of the rest of London Road. Shame on the council for not pedestrianising the whole area about 20 years ago.
It was the campaign by St Bartholemew's School against sending London-bound traffic along New England Street that killed off the pedestrianisation proposal.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
? Was that the fish and chip shop?

May have been my mum? Not me I would have been a little girl/teenager - how long ago were you there

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
The closure of Big name stores plus the non-use of the Co-Op store has resulted in the whole London Rd area being run down and any action including the Open Market is way too late.
Housing is required and would be the best solution, it would also be an advantage to the Supermarkets in the area.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The closure of Big name stores plus the non-use of the Co-Op store has resulted in the whole London Rd area being run down and any action including the Open Market is way too late.
Housing is required and would be the best solution, it would also be an advantage to the Supermarkets in the area.
Frankly, sod the supermarkets but yep, anything to cheer the area up would be great :rock: :albion2:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
My dad had a butchers shop in Baker Street behind the open market opposite the Co-op - we were there for 30 years before the Council decided to pedestrianise the street and move the bus stop - they killed the street and we luckily just managed to sell the shop - its a bookies now I think.

Those were the days when there were decent shops in London Road - M & S, Woollies etc.

London Road and Baker Street used to be busy and vibrant - last time I drove along there it was awful

Are we talking about Baker St Brighton here? - when was it pedestrianised? Not in my living memory and I've been here about 50 years

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Yeah what a shame about London Road. Bought all the kids prams/ pushchairs etc at Champions at top of Bakers St. Area seems full of druggies and alcohlics. Such a shame as it could be great place to shop if only a few of the big name shops could be attracted. still perhaps the new market could be the start of the regeneration for the area.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
? Was that the fish and chip shop?

May have been my mum? Not me I would have been a little girl/teenager - how long ago were you there

Yep Bardleys was. and still is. one of the best fish and chip shops in town. we we're there 1980 - 90s

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Are we talking about Baker St Brighton here? - when was it pedestrianised? Not in my living memory and I've been here about 50 years

Yes - the council trialled a pedestrian scheme in Baker Street - about 30 years ago - for about six months - the trouble was the moved the bus stop which was at the top of the road near Yeates the green grocers and it killed the street dead. It never really recovered after that

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Yeah what a shame about London Road. Bought all the kids prams/ pushchairs etc at Champions at top of Bakers St. Area seems full of druggies and alcohlics. Such a shame as it could be great place to shop if only a few of the big name shops could be attracted. still perhaps the new market could be the start of the regeneration for the area.

Lets hope so - Somehow though I don't think it will make much difference.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Must have been there the same time then - definitely small world - remember Coopers? The barbers?? Lol

Oh yes, he was a legend. The window was full of wigs on polystyrene heads, pictures of various styles he could do (that all turned out the same!) and a sleeping cat.
He was the only person I know that painted the walls on the outside of his property in gloss paint.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Lets hope so - Somehow though I don't think it will make much difference.

I think anyone running a shop down there needs to know their customers - lots of students in bed sits and a smatterring of posher people from the new developments around the station area. The Post Office in the CooP always brought people in, but I hear that has moved now.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Lol my dad used to call his shop "the swear box"??

There was a sweet shop near his shop - I used to run up and get my sweets from their shop when I was at my dad's shop!!!

Fond memories - my bro worked in the shop with dad - I expect you would know him if you saw him!!!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I think anyone running a shop down there needs to know their customers - lots of students in bed sits and a smatterring of posher people from the new developments around the station area. The Post Office in the CooP always brought people in, but I hear that has moved now.

Defintely - when we were there the posher people didn't exist at that time!!!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Sadly Baker Street is finished even William Hill has moved around the corner to London Road. Only Bardsleys and the Mitre keeping the demolition crews out. Snack Attack is struggling now.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

walking around london road these days feels like being in 28 weeks later

This. Dreadful area. We take our custom to George Street Hove nowadays. Even Ransoms is on its way now. I remember when WH Smith, Marks and Sparks and Sainburys brought almost a level of sophistication to the area when you combined them with the locally run shops. Now you can't take a walk along London Road without bumping into a junkie who has shit his pants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here