Local Lingo

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have no idea where Frant is, purely because it's nothing but a traffic blackspot!

I guessed it was in East Sussex somewhere, but maybe not. I bow to your superior wisdom.:bowdown:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
briyan wors n frazes

'east brighton' - aka whitehawk, a housing estate..

'parking enforcement' - ripoff parking prices and fines-
i only recently found out that the NCP also employed the
wardens... and i know where they live.... a little lockup
just off north road....

'traffic calming' - calming, my ass! most main roads are now
single lanes, with traffic lights every 100m or so - no wonder
there's so much traffic in town, they cant get out!

'brave, forward thinking..' aka cheapest bid for the ugly
tincan towers, due to be built at king alfred...?

'were a city now..' council tax shoots up as everyone
on the fiddle.. allegedly!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There is a road in Sussex called 'Cowshit Corner', so called because in the olden daze they used to regularly herd cows down it, the result being it was always covered in cow crap, and being the middle ages (or whenever) they believed in calling a spade a spade. Not sure of it's exact location, but someone else on here must have heard of it.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
So if we were to name streets according to middle age regulations, West Street could be called, "Street full of knobs wearing Burberry baseball caps..oh yes, it also has brain dead bouncers!"

Lush

Mods' Pet
edna krabappel said:
I've only ever heard of most of these places on the traffic flashes on the radio!

I think they did a top 10 on (ok, I'm ashamed to admit listening) Southern FM once, Places You've Only Ever Heard Of On The Traffic News.

Including Beddingham, Buck Barn Crossroads, the Great Daux Roundabout, Chiddingly (I think), Hellingly, Selmeston and Frant.

What? No mention of Earwig Corner?

Now how did that get its name?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Well pronounciations in Ireland is a nightmare for town names and peoples names and is a constant embarrasment when I go to clients. Just a selection:-

Niamh = Neeve
Aisling = Ashling
Cobh = Cove
Failte = Fawsha

Complete nightmare and you can't look at a map or see someones name and assume it's said as you read it.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Lush said:
What? No mention of Earwig Corner?

Now how did that get its name?

Lush, I think you'll find that it is one of Muller's new range of environmentally friendly yogurts.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Lord Bracknell said:
Out here in the rural east of Sussex, we take a very dim view of folk who can't pronounce place names properly.

NEWhaven is wrong. NewHAVEn is correct.
Seaf'd is wrong. SeaFORD is correct.
There used to be a station announcer on the railway at Lewes who always got both of these right. But he's been replaced by a recording that is always wrong.

Despite the spelling, it's MAWLing, not MALLing; and Offham is pronounced OAFham, not Off'm.
It's BeddingHAM, not BEDDing'm.
And Alfriston is Awlfiston, not Alfriston.
Michelham Priory is MITCHELHAM, not MICKLEh'm.

Nobody in Brighton can spell Moulsecoomb (and Dropkick Turnip's post proves that). How many people pronounce it properly? MOLESCOOM, not MOOLSC'M.

Some proper pronunciations are disappearing completely. Pidd'nhOOO, for example. And BUR-wick is hardly ever heard in Berwick these days. Out west, how often is CHIDISTER heard in Chichester?

West HoathLYE, East HoathLEE - or so I'm told by friends in both of the Hoathly villages. I've even met people who eat broccolye, not broccoli - but I reckon they're just dumb.

And who knows that Hove used to be pronounced HOOV? Or that Brighthelmstone was pronounced ...er... "Brighton"?

And next time Southern Counties Radio mentions Suthick, when they mean Southwick (in Sussex, not the Hampshire one), write to the Director General of the BBC and suggest they reintroduce local radio.

You crack me up!:lolol: :lolol:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I did the West Highland Way a couple of weeks ago, (for charity mate...it's better than working). It's 95 miles from the outskirts of Glasgow to Fort William. Anyway, the start is in a place called Milingavie. So I asked this sweaty sock, "excuse me mate, is this the right way to Milingavie?" He copped a right hump. "You bloody English could at least learn how tae pronounce the feckin' place!"
Aparrently it's pronounced, "Millguy." How they got to that I don't know!
Yes I know it's a boring story, but could come in handy for all those setting off on the West Highland Way! All together now.."You take the high road & I'll take the low road......."

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
CrabtreeBHA said:
I once was a courier and had to delivery to a town in Surrey called Leigh...I asked directions pronouncing it "Lee" and the bloke didnt have a clue what I was going on about, after showing him the map he goes "OH Leigh....its pronounced Lie"
No it aint you tosser!

Before you ask I did'nt know where I was so that map would'nt of helped!

Ah, Leigh, yes it is pronounced 'Lie', always good for confusing my sister's Northern mates.

Mind you, I was recently ticked off by my Dad for pronouncing Horstead Keynes 'Horstead Keenes' as opposed to 'Horstead Canes'. Mind you, it was his own fault for shipping us out of God's County when I was 5!!

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports