Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local Country Walks

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Quite like to take a stroll to Rottingdean and back via the racecourse and Ovingdean, once I've slogged up Elm Grove it's a very pleasant walk indeed. Other favourites include Hassocks to Lewes along the downs from the windmills and Southease to Lewes via Glynde. Need to add some other routes to my repertoire.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No better way to spend your leisure time than walking the footpaths of Sussex, rain or shine. You get a totally different impression of the county walking away from the roads; you see views that you never realised existed; and you can immerse yourself in the peace and quiet of the countryside. I highly recommend it.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Birling Gap to Cuckmere Haven is always lovely and gets the heart pumping. Ashdown Forest is pretty close to us up here and has a number of fabulous walks. After a season of pies and too much beer, it's a great way to shed a few pounds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That sounds lovely, out of interest how long is the walk, looking for something suitable with the kids and a pub of course!

You can also rent a boat at the Anchor and meander up the river. It's beautiful. Food at the Anchor is crap though in my experience.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
That sounds lovely, out of interest how long is the walk, looking for something suitable with the kids and a pub of course!

I have to be honest I cant remember exactly. If I recall it hasnt taken more than a couple of hours there and back (walking time only. add extra in pub). As it is the same route there and back (i.e not circular) then you can always cut short or continue for longer. If you google ''barcombe mills road'' and look further down the road past Crink Hill you will see a bus stop 'Barcombe Mills nr old station'' park around there. you can just about work out the railway line from there to just east of the Anchor pub (Anchor Lane). from the Anchor you can trace the river to the north.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nope (unless they've changed it in the last few weeks). There are signs saying you have to pay, but no machine: you have to call one of those annoying (and probably premium rate) numbers to give them your car registration details. What's a nice touch is that a lot of people have a really poor phone signal up there, so it makes it doubly awkward to arrange.

Thanks for pointing that out. Why they cannot have a parking meter, I don't know. I did once ask why there were no rubbish bins up there, and was told that it would mean somebody going up there to collect them.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for pointing that out. Why they cannot have a parking meter, I don't know. I did once ask why there were no rubbish bins up there, and was told that it would mean somebody going up there to collect them.

Presumably a parking meter would require equally as much effort on part of the local council (I assume East Sussex County Council- or would it be the National Trust?) to empty, whereas a premium rate automated telephone line rakes in the cash and requires little to no effort on their part. It is annoying, especially when you think the Jack & Jill car park a couple of miles along is free.

I need to go and wander up Wolstonbury Hill again sometime. Haven't done that for years. I feel suitably enthused by the original post :thumbsup:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Birling Gap to Cuckmere Haven is always lovely and gets the heart pumping. Ashdown Forest is pretty close to us up here and has a number of fabulous walks. After a season of pies and too much beer, it's a great way to shed a few pounds.

Even better if you can time it with the tide out and go one direction under the cliffs and return the other way along the top. For the former it takes about three hours as footing is very slippery due to seaweed.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Presumably a parking meter would require equally as much effort on part of the local council (I assume East Sussex County Council- or would it be the National Trust?) to empty, whereas a premium rate automated telephone line rakes in the cash and requires little to no effort on their part. It is annoying, especially when you think the Jack & Jill car park a couple of miles along is free.

I need to go and wander up Wolstonbury Hill again sometime. Haven't done that for years. I feel suitably enthused by the original post :thumbsup:

Surely the parking control warden that goes up there to hand out the parking tickets could emplty the parking meter.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Wolstenbury at dawn on a clear day is just fabulous.......views North and South. Definitely worth an early start. Likely to encounter all manner of wildlife on the way up too......

Any parking meter at somehere like the Beacon car park would probably last about 5 mins before someone stole/emptied/wrecked it. Too isolated. NT members can park for free - worth considering at £27 a year for individual membership.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely the parking control warden that goes up there to hand out the parking tickets could emplty the parking meter.

Could do, but vandalism/ theft would be quite likely I suppose.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Wolstenbury at dawn on a clear day is just fabulous.......views North and South. Definitely worth an early start. Likely to encounter all manner of wildlife on the way up too......

Walked up there on a clear day last week with the aim of trying to pinpoint my house (north of the A272) through binoculars. Previously unsuccessful, but managed to do it this time.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Been on an excellent short walk today, just Pyecombe to the Dyke, but it was a great experience to enjoy the weather whilst it lasts. Just an hour and a half.

I took me to wondering if other people do similar things on here, and if anyone has any recommendations for short local Sussex walks to make use of the close season weather whilst weekends are warmer, and not so fully occupied with sporting pursuits.

I’m guessing there are a few country enthusiasts on NSC, so I’d thought I’d put it out for comment as a distraction from my deliberations over the managerial vacancy.

I know the local terrain around Brighton well, but any recommendations that make use of public transport further afield would be keenly investigated.

The public transport part really can be a challenge. The trains pass along the flat/developed sections of Sussex and journey planning can get complex, when the prettier stations, have so few trains.. To the East Southease, Glynde, Berwick and Polegate with points in between, offer some great opportunities. Further afield there is a nice walk from Rye station to Camber Castle and back. To the West, Amberley offers stunning scenery, and the Chichester harbour area stations, also offer some good walks, so any of the stations from Fishbourne, right up to the Hampshire border are fine. Beyond that, there be Dragons ! To the north Balcombe as others have pointed out, is a good bet.

Southern also list the following bus services https://www.southernrailwaytickets.com/main.php?page_id=293&p=1 aimed at walkers. There are some crackers here.

Alternatively join a club. There are loads around, either student groups, based around the universities, or codger clubs. Great if you want someone else to organise the route and transport for you.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
North of Peacehaven. Stunning. Downland at it's best. Nore Hill, Piddinghoe, Southease, up to Telscombe. An incredible 8 mile loop and easy to get to.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
North of Peacehaven. Stunning. Downland at it's best. Nore Hill, Piddinghoe, Southease, up to Telscombe. An incredible 8 mile loop and easy to get to.

Agree with this, walked around the back of Peacehaven 2 weeks ago, didn't go as far as Telscombe but enough to enjoy it, lucky enough to have this walk not far from home.

The view from the top of the hill above Telscombe Village is stunning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here