Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local Country Walks

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes we are I agree, now the football/drinking season has finished get out and have a walk at the weekend, I can recommend it!!

..and when you've finished, you can put your aching feet up, rest your weary frame...and watch the World Cup :thumbsup:

Oct 25, 2003
went to the chattri war memorial today. parked just after the roundabout and walked up there. isnt that far (20 mins or so) but very pleasent. cows and sheep were grazing happily on the way and the view from the chattri looking out over the downs and Brighton is splendid. not too many people there either

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
went to the chattri war memorial today. parked just after the roundabout and walked up there. isnt that far (20 mins or so) but very pleasent. cows and sheep were grazing happily on the way and the view from the chattri looking out over the downs and Brighton is splendid. not too many people there either

Did that yesterday. Just wanted to see it as never been up there. For a longer route, you can walk there from Jack & Jill at Clayton (free parking) or from Ditchling Beacon (not free parking :angry).

Also walked from Burgess Hill to the Amex a few weeks ago, just to see how long it would take. Went via Hassocks, Keymer, Underhill Lane & up the Beacon at Burnthouse Bostall, over the Beacon road to the East and then down past (I think) St Mary's Farm, coming out in Falmer village. Took me about 3hrs. Wouldn't necessarily recommend the route I took up the Beacon but there must be an easier way :thumbsup:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Or a long swim! :smile:

Also Ardingly for a short walk ( or swim)

I've often walked from Balcombe Station to Haywards Heath Station via the reservoir and The Ouse Valley Viaduct, an awesome piece of architecture.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Did that yesterday. Just wanted to see it as never been up there. For a longer route, you can walk there from Jack & Jill at Clayton (free parking) or from Ditchling Beacon (not free parking :angry).

Also walked from Burgess Hill to the Amex a few weeks ago, just to see how long it would take. Went via Hassocks, Keymer, Underhill Lane & up the Beacon at Burnthouse Bostall, over the Beacon road to the East and then down past (I think) St Mary's Farm, coming out in Falmer village. Took me about 3hrs. Wouldn't necessarily recommend the route I took up the Beacon but there must be an easier way :thumbsup:

The Beacon car park is free, Edna. I'm sure it is.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Beacon car park is free, Edna. I'm sure it is.

Nope (unless they've changed it in the last few weeks). There are signs saying you have to pay, but no machine: you have to call one of those annoying (and probably premium rate) numbers to give them your car registration details. What's a nice touch is that a lot of people have a really poor phone signal up there, so it makes it doubly awkward to arrange.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
e5edyry8.jpg
I've often walked from Balcombe Station to Haywards Heath Station via the reservoir and The Ouse Valley Viaduct, an awesome piece of architecture.

Took this on a run past it. It's an amazing thing.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
One thing I miss is taking the hounds for a nice walk. Wolstenbury Hill, Jack & Jill and around the back of Pyecombe Golf Course, Ditchling Common, Chailey Common, Ashdown Forest, Balcombe, Haywards Heath Golf Course to Ardingly, Blackcap. Few nice ones in Burgess Hill as well where one would often meet Mr Zamora and his hound. Something sadly lacking around these parts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nope (unless they've changed it in the last few weeks). There are signs saying you have to pay, but no machine: you have to call one of those annoying (and probably premium rate) numbers to give them your car registration details. What's a nice touch is that a lot of people have a really poor phone signal up there, so it makes it doubly awkward to arrange.

Correct. There is however a free car park at the bottom of the hill on the North side where Underhill Lane crosses the Beacon Road. The car park at Clayton Windmills is a 2 mile walk from the Beacon (undulating but not stupidly steep as you're mostly on the top of the ridge).

Stumpy Tim

When I had an iPhone I used the AA Walking app. It was really good, and introduced me to a few good walks. Worth downloading, and spending the £1.49 to download the maps too. Unfortunately they don't do it for Android

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did the walk Brightonlines did with a bit either side. Had a friend drop us at Westmeston and then walked through Ditchling, past the free car park at the bottom of the Beacon and up to the top, followed the South Downs Way to the Dyke and then the Monarchs Way to Benfield Valley, Sainsburys and hove Lagoon.

At Pyecombe after 5. Not all the views were good. Dıd you see the German woman wearily walking the whole way? I have never seen fully stretched yellow lycra pants with black markings before.

Get yourselves up to Hollingbury Camp, there are some fantastic trails right on your doorstep and the best view of Brighton (on a sunny, clear day!) BAR NONE. Plenty of wildflowers for the enthusiast too but you will have just missed the spectacular display of early purple orchids. A very underrated part of Brighton I think but then the SDNP have done little so far to promote it. Nice cycle/walking trail being built alongside at moment though with planned bus stops should make it more accessible :smile:

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Fairly flat and easy but I like to park up, walk along a disused railway to the anchor at Barcombe. Have a large dinner with couple of beers. Then continue along the Ouse to a waterfall and back to car. Can't remember the hamlet where we park but there is a disused railway station there.

There is also a really pleasant and undemanding riverside stroll with the same beginning and end. Apart from a few stiles, it is easy walking for families. The Car Park is near the disused Barcombe Station on Barcombe Mills Road.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Get yourselves up to Hollingbury Camp, there are some fantastic trails right on your doorstep and the best view of Brighton (on a sunny, clear day!) BAR NONE. Plenty of wildflowers for the enthusiast too but you will have just missed the spectacular display of early purple orchids. A very underrated part of Brighton I think but then the SDNP have done little so far to promote it. Nice cycle/walking trail being built alongside at moment though with planned bus stops should make it more accessible :smile:

The SDNP has not done much at all except for the drawing of its Boundary. Cynically, I fear this is all part of the REAL plan, which is to make all areas on its edge urban. Mayfields are planning 10,000 homes between Henfield and Hustpierpoint and Woodingdean and Ovingdean will almost be joined by housing near Falmer School, and Shoreham Airport is an area sought by Builders and Brighto Council annd Adur are ready to give it to them.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Fairly flat and easy but I like to park up, walk along a disused railway to the anchor at Barcombe. Have a large dinner with couple of beers. Then continue along the Ouse to a waterfall and back to car. Can't remember the hamlet where we park but there is a disused railway station there.
That sounds lovely, out of interest how long is the walk, looking for something suitable with the kids and a pub of course!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here