Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If you're expecting every signing to be 'a resounding success', then that's where your problem lies. Equally, you expect us to have a 15+ goal a season striker when they're as rare as hen's teeth in a bottom half PL team. I see a club and a first team squad that's improving slowly, gradually, sustainably, and all the personnel in the key positions performing admirably. Bloom does too, which is what matters.
Trossard has 11 goals in 2 seasons. For a wide forward in a bottom half PL team, that's a good return. Ditto Maupay's 18 (he did have a disappointing second season, but that's not enough to dismiss his contribution for a c£16-20m forward who, at 24, has serious re-sale value, if that's what we want/need to do).
As others have said, add in Lallana and Welbeck (outstanding six goal return -- all from open play -- from c20-25 appearances, not all 90 minutes). Equally, Burn, have all contributed.
Moder, Zeqiri, Caicedo and probably Karbownik all look like astute additions at this early stage with us.
And also Propper, Ryan, Izquierdo have all assisted us stabilise in the PL, which is some feat (ask Fulham, for instance) and, to a lesser extent, Bernardo.

Ali J and, especially, Locadia have been expensive, with limited returns -- although I've always been impressed with Ali J's commitment (he just doesn't have the physical attributes for the PL IMO).
Overall, I'd give our recruitment a 8/10
Finally, Andone's a decent player, and could still achieve for us in the PL, provided he's got his head right.

Not everyone a resounding success, but higher success rate. But as per my post it's not about dismissing them as there is time, but all players have a lifespan (certainly contract wise), and there comes a time when a decision has to be made - if we are to utilise the resale value. If we went with 'okay', then Propper for example and probably Trossard (so far) fit that criteria, a 6/10 signing. If we are to progress, then we need 7 and above - we cannot progress with okay.

Forward wise my expectation is 13-16 goals, given the chances we create. I kind of agree with Welbeck, just needs to stay fit and that will always be a factor. I'd be staggered if Andone stays longer term, but he was only £5m so not too expensive in Brighton terms - hope to be proved wrong,

As per my initial post, the nurturing and then playing seems to be more successful to me and this is reflected with Moder, Zeqiri, Caicedo and probably Karbownik, who again potentially look great.

I would also argue some of the improvement has been down to the manager, who has brought some of the players on in leaps and bounds.

However, it's a 6/10 for me overall.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Finally, Andone's a decent player, and could still achieve for us in the PL, provided he's got his head right.

I’m more concerned with the ‘body’ to be honest as it’s being badly broken twice in the last 18 months to the extent that he may never be the same player again.

I think the temperament thing is a little overplayed at times. I don’t think he is that bad got wreck-less. Potter exerted his authority in his first summer and cleared out any players who were not good enough in ability or attitude. Andone is very similar to Maupay (maybe better in the air and a more natural finisher) and provided the ideal sacrificial lamb for Potter to enforce his initial ‘you’re with me or out’ stance. Now that he is back, I think the questions marks will persist about his physical fitness rather than mental state within the club.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not everyone a resounding success, but higher success rate. But as per my post it's not about dismissing them as there is time, but all players have a lifespan (certainly contract wise), and there comes a time when a decision has to be made - if we are to utilise the resale value. If we went with 'okay', then Propper for example and probably Trossard (so far) fit that criteria, a 6/10 signing. If we are to progress, then we need 7 and above - we cannot progress with okay.

Forward wise my expectation is 13-16 goals, given the chances we create. I kind of agree with Welbeck, just needs to stay fit and that will always be a factor. I'd be staggered if Andone stays longer term, but he was only £5m so not too expensive in Brighton terms - hope to be proved wrong,

As per my initial post, the nurturing and then playing seems to be more successful to me and this is reflected with Moder, Zeqiri, Caicedo and probably Karbownik, who again potentially look great.

I would also argue some of the improvement has been down to the manager, who has brought some of the players on in leaps and bounds.

However, it's a 6/10 for me overall.

I do agree that the development of certain -- and particularly young -- players is what's most impressive. GP up there too.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Not the Best signing we have ever had, not even a particularly good one but we have had some awful strikers that have been much much worse.

Any player scoring 3 EPL goals for us just can’t get that label. He actually had a few good games like this one:
https://youtu.be/G9tMuvIFyps

If you think that he is up there with Leon Best, you are re-writing history in order to give Big Jürg a big kick.

Obviously when we were in Championship or lower we have signed worse but, come on, taking our level into account, he is utter sh1t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I don't understand the hate for the guy on here. He was a panic buy that didn't work out, it isn't like he has refused to play for us or been caught drowning puppies. GP looked him over and decided he wasn't good enough so now we have a player on our hands that no other club seems to value enough to take from us. I guess haters need someone to hate...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't understand the hate for the guy on here. He was a panic buy that didn't work out, it isn't like he has refused to play for us or been caught drowning puppies. GP looked him over and decided he wasn't good enough so now we have a player on our hands that no other club seems to value enough to take from us. I guess haters need someone to hate...
He moaned to the Dutch press about us.

Pretty poor behaviour considering the vast sums we pay him.

Sod him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If you think that he is up there with Leon Best, you are re-writing history in order to give Big Jürg a big kick.
He is definitely not as bad as the consensus appears to suggest, but he hasn't been very good with the exception of 4 or 5 games IMO.

I'll tell you what it is for me that has left a bitter taste - his whining to the press when he was being overlooked after lazy, sloppy performances. By contrast, Ali J, who has also massively underwhelmed, has clearly shown a much better attitude which has left him on the fringes of the squad.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He is definitely not as bad as the consensus appears to suggest, but he hasn't been very good with the exception of 4 or 5 games IMO.

I'll tell you what it is for me that has left a bitter taste - his whining to the press when he was being overlooked after lazy, sloppy performances. By contrast, Ali J, who has also massively underwhelmed, has clearly shown a much better attitude which has left him on the fringes of the squad.

Exactly. And that is why so many fans (and teammates, apparently) so badly wanted Ali J to succeed. He has always worked hard, never hidden, and never moaned to the media.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t see any real hate here for the guy?

He’s obvious a flop signing. Happens in football. I see a few jokes about him DJing etc but nothing hateful.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t see any real hate here for the guy?

He’s obvious a flop signing. Happens in football. I see a few jokes about him DJing etc but nothing hateful.

Fair enough, perhaps "hate" was a bit too strong

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Personally, I am more 'annoyed' with his attitude. When on the pitch he never seemed to give it all and would just stroll about a lot - or would give that impression. I just didnt see the commitment on the pitch from him most of the times. Followed by tweets about DJing and various comments in the media didnt help.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Personally, I am more 'annoyed' with his attitude. When on the pitch he never seemed to give it all and would just stroll about a lot - or would give that impression.

He definitely didn't make the effort he was paid to make. I saw him several times not bother to try to chase the ball, when he might have reached it if he'd bothered. I made more effort to get to the Amex than he made on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here