Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia to Bochum

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm struggling to figure out what another professional football club has seen in Locadia that they thought signing him would improve their options, and will probably continue to do so for a very long time, that said, good luck to him and my new bestest fav German football club.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Good news to get rid of the biggest waste of money in history of the club! Never looked a player from the first minute on the pitch and managed to score one important goal (Millwall) for over £20 mil in transfer fee and wages!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good news to get rid of the biggest waste of money in history of the club! Never looked a player from the first minute on the pitch and managed to score one important goal (Millwall) for over £20 mil in transfer fee and wages!!

Again - a bit of a dis-service.

Scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Everton.
Scored the equalising goal in a home draw to Arsenal

So that is 4 PL points in 1 season.

Plus a couple of FA cup goals, League Cup goal.

Still shit - but he at least contributed to us staying in the PL

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This. Probably just me but I find the hindsight, gloating and insults towards him and the recruitment team pretty distasteful. Anyone involved in hiring multiple people knows they don’t all work out, for a multitude of reasons.

Fair play to you for that very generous view.
I view that era of the recruitment team as dark days. Neither AJ nor Locadia ever really looked like Premier League players, bar a couple of decent goals.
I think I’m right in saying changes were made behind the scenes not long after it emerged they were crap, and we’d wasted big money. Coincidence ?
I have a lot more faith in the current set-up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I view that era of the recruitment team as dark days. Neither AJ nor Locadia ever really looked like Premier League players.
I think I’m right in saying changes were made behind the scenes not long after it emerged they were crap, and we’d wasted big money. Coincidence ?

Pretty much same recruitment is in place - just now reporting into Dan Ashworth who oversees the football operation.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
After his American stint and music video I thought he had fallen out of love with the game and was just claiming his salary as contracted to take his life in a new direction. But no, this club are no slouches , in the German top flight , he will have to work for his living..... Good luck to him

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A winning goal against Everton, the equaliser in a 1-1 draw with Arsenal, the final goal in the 4-1 over Swansea, which is still our biggest-ever Premier League victory. A brilliantly-taken strike at Millwall that kept us in the Cup and made us think that there must be a player in there after all. So he made a mark of sorts. Shame he wasn't the player the recruitment team thought he was.

This probably best sums it up. I'm struggling to believe he wasn't a tryer because Potter wouldn't have had him anywhere near the first team squad this season had that been the case. He was just poor, but nevertheless had a handful of good moments. For me, the Millwall goal will live long in the memory - without that smart turn and finish, we wouldn't have made it to Wembley for the FA Cup semi-final.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Pretty much same recruitment is in place - just now reporting into Dan Ashworth who oversees the football operation.

He seems well connected and savvy .maybe that was lacking before.
We do appear to be more cautious now about spending big money . I guess that’s a double edged sword .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He seems well connected and savvy .maybe that was lacking before.
We do appear to be more cautious now about spending big money . I guess that’s a double edged sword .

Yes and No - but I guess there has been some focusing of minds, another eye overseeing transfers. I think we have matched those 2 fees a few times now. (Cucurella, Mwepu, Webster, Welbeck/Lallana wages etc)

I don't think any fan on here would have signed Adam Webster for £20M when we did but worked out well so far

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I view that era of the recruitment team as dark days. Neither AJ nor Locadia ever really looked like Premier League players, bar a couple of decent goals.

No, not a coincidence at all and sure we all have more faith in the current set-up - most areas of the club are improving as Tony and team get 'used' to being in the PL. To the scouting and recruitment team (hired by Tony) at the time they obviously looked like players that might make it so we bought them (funded by Tony) - I just don't get the need for the vitriol (not just on here - as usual FB and Twitter is worse) directed at either the player or the club. There's no need for anyone to be a **** (particularly as those being ****s - IMO - almost certainly know nothing about our strategy, funding, plans, recruitment team, criteria for selecting players or even football in many cases) - we learn and move on :shrug:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
An arrangement that works for everyone. Locadia is off the wage bill and he has a chance to reignite his career. If he is focused of course. I'd suspect Brighton have had to pay a huge chunk of his future wage bill to offload him. There is no chance Bochum will be paying him PL comparable wages he might have been earning at Brighton. Bochum is also in the heart of the Ruhr steel and coal industry and a polar opposite of Brighton. His side hobbies won't cut it around there. Brighton are obviously out of pocket with the whole deal but it comes pretty much risk free for Bochum as his contract is only until the end of the season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He scored four times in 12 appearances for Hoffenheim. 'very good indeed' is rather overselling it.

You could spin it that way or you could look at his minutes per goal of 131 if you are trying to understand how he has got a transfer to a Bundesliga side.

To put that in context with EPL top scorers this season:

Salah - 111
Jota - 138
Mahrez - 140
Smith Rowe - 151
Ronaldo - 162
Dennis - 164
Maupay - 184

So for me, that’s pretty pretty pretty good.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I don’t want to go all BW2 but we’re now down to Welbeck (always a game away from a serious injury) and Maupay as striker options.

Therefore, I trust the club is going to unveil someone like Hložek this month to fill what could be a huge gap.

When has Locadia ever shown that he was a striker :facepalm:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Is there a sell on clause?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
No, not a coincidence at all and sure we all have more faith in the current set-up - most areas of the club are improving as Tony and team get 'used' to being in the PL. To the scouting and recruitment team (hired by Tony) at the time they obviously looked like players that might make it so we bought them (funded by Tony) - I just don't get the need for the vitriol (not just on here - as usual FB and Twitter is worse) directed at either the player or the club. There's no need for anyone to be a **** (particularly as those being ****s - IMO - almost certainly know nothing about our strategy, funding, plans, recruitment team, criteria for selecting players or even football in many cases) - we learn and move on :shrug:

Yes, the Vitroil is all wrong and it is right to call it out.
Good luck to Locadia. He’s become a very wealthy man. Maybe in a few years when he’s old and fat, he might reflect on whether he gave it his all with an amazing opportunity at our club. When he had minutes earlier in the season the mind looked willing but he looked out of condition.
Whatevs, and as you say , we move on

Last edited:

kjgood

Players come and players go, some work out and some don't. Unfortunately this one didn't work out albeit under two top class managers and the best training facilities and opportunities in the land. Perhaps he just wasn't suited to British football? Who's next?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here