Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Locadia stop slating him.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
His signing will go down as one of our mistakes because he's not good enough for the level, but I don't get the labeling of him as someone who has a bad attitude, or isn't a footballer. He had a perfectly respectable career in Holland and he wasn't a disaster on loan at Hoffenheim. Cincinatti seems to have been a bit of a disaster, but he only actually made two starts last season, with all other appearances coming from the bench. It seems that he can't be moved on because his wages far exceed his value. That happens a lot to players who don't make the grade in the EPL and who can really blame them for not wanting to give up the most lucrative contract that they are ever likely to have. His determination and strength at close range got us a goal that propelled us to an FA Cup semi final and he has looked effective when playing in cup competitions against a lower quality of defender. When he comes up against EPL defences he has mostly struggled. For me that doesn't make him anything like Agustein, who seemed to have the talent to play at a higher level than we were at when he was with us, but who had absolutely no inclination to do the work to show it.

I'd agree that the slating should stop, but more because I think it unfair on him personally, than because I think that there is any chance that he will improve to the level that we will need this season. The board's other whipping boy, Aaron Connolly has far more chance of improving his levels and becoming the kind of striker we need. He seems to need careful handling and only time will tell, but whilst I appreciate that the impatience and annoyance are a result of posters' passionate support, I find some of the insults and writing off of a 21 year old kid on here counter productive and a bit beyond the pale.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm hoping GP will get the best out of JL, if he can it'll be a bloody miracle!!!
My own opinion is that if JL really had tried previously, then what we saw is his 100%
I'm all for giving a second go, but I think we've got more chance of seeing the next ice age....

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Would be good to see him get a start v Swansea, give the bloke at least a chance to impress in a competitive match, see if he's got any fight left in him. Can always haul him off earlydoors if it turns out that he hasn't

I agree. I remember his debut v Coventry in the Cup and he got a couple of goals. It was a decent view of what he could do (sadly never realised) but it's a superb chance for him to prove a point. After all, he is in the first team squad still.

Also, this CONSTANT Connolly-bashing is pathetic (not aimed at you THPP) - He's in the stripes (as is Locadia). For me, we should get behind every single one of our players whether they're good enough or not. My issue is only if they don't try (Best, Akpom, Agustien etc) and that's a criticism I don't think you can fairly aim at Connolly.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
On that basis then - stop slating Connolly.:

You know the rules - you can’t want both Connolly AND Locadia to succeed.
It’s one or the other.
Just make your choice and pipe down.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree. I remember his debut v Coventry in the Cup and he got a couple of goals. It was a decent view of what he could do (sadly never realised) but it's a superb chance for him to prove a point. After all, he is in the first team squad still.

Also, this CONSTANT Connolly-bashing is pathetic (not aimed at you THPP) - He's in the stripes (as is Locadia). For me, we should get behind every single one of our players whether they're good enough or not. My issue is only if they don't try (Best, Akpom, Agustien etc) and that's a criticism I don't think you can fairly aim at Connolly.
Hughton had his favourites and that’s why JL never had a run in the team, he scored against Coventry, Swansea and then he never seemed to play much. Good goals against Arsenal & Everton when he finally had a spell in the side due to Murray’s injury.

These threads backing Connolly & Locadia are only here because yet again we failed to bring in a quality attacking option. None of these two would get a look in at another PL side and that for me answers the questions.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
His signing will go down as one of our mistakes because he's not good enough for the level, but I don't get the labeling of him as someone who has a bad attitude, or isn't a footballer. He had a perfectly respectable career in Holland and he wasn't a disaster on loan at Hoffenheim. Cincinatti seems to have been a bit of a disaster, but he only actually made two starts last season, with all other appearances coming from the bench. It seems that he can't be moved on because his wages far exceed his value. That happens a lot to players who don't make the grade in the EPL and who can really blame them for not wanting to give up the most lucrative contract that they are ever likely to have. His determination and strength at close range got us a goal that propelled us to an FA Cup semi final and he has looked effective when playing in cup competitions against a lower quality of defender. When he comes up against EPL defences he has mostly struggled. For me that doesn't make him anything like Agustein, who seemed to have the talent to play at a higher level than we were at when he was with us, but who had absolutely no inclination to do the work to show it.

I'd agree that the slating should stop, but more because I think it unfair on him personally, than because I think that there is any chance that he will improve to the level that we will need this season. The board's other whipping boy, Aaron Connolly has far more chance of improving his levels and becoming the kind of striker we need. He seems to need careful handling and only time will tell, but whilst I appreciate that the impatience and annoyance are a result of posters' passionate support, I find some of the insults and writing off of a 21 year old kid on here counter productive and a bit beyond the pale.

Well said .... as per usual

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hughton had his favourites and that’s why JL never had a run in the team, he scored against Coventry, Swansea and then he never seemed to play much. Good goals against Arsenal & Everton when he finally had a spell in the side due to Murray’s injury.

These threads backing Connolly & Locadia are only here because yet again we failed to bring in a quality attacking option.None of these two would get a look in at another PL side and that for me answers the questions.

It's not just us tho. Lingard scored 2 and got 1 assist for England yesterday. West Ham shied away from ManU's asking price of £25M. Seems like a price either them or us could stretch to at a pinch for proven EPL quality. Tho I guess neither club fancied the wages element of the deal

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

These threads backing Connolly & Locadia are only here because yet again we failed to bring in a quality attacking option. None of these two would get a look in at another PL side and that for me answers the questions.
Hughton also has a certain style that was based exclusively around Murray's unique traits. Andone and Locadia both fell prey to not being that type.

Whether either are good enough isn't really the point for me. At some point this season, we may well need them to step into the breach and replace Maupay or Welbeck. A constant barrage of abuse isn't conducive to a supportive atmosphere in which a back up player can thrive.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

kjgood

I forget Locadia is here most of the time. Currently tying with Kemy Agustien for "Least Like a Footballer 'Footballer' Ever"

I agree he hasn't set the world alight, but someone thought he was good enough to pay what £15m for him? Were we set up to play to his strengths (whatever they may be) and have we provided him with a platform to be part of the group and feel as though he has a future?

We are disenchanted with him that's clear, hes probably disenchanted with us as well.

Will sit back now and wait for a slagging.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Given the deeply felt animosity towards Locadia, justifiable or not, this thread is self defeating.

Locadia has done little to endear himself to Albion supporters and frankly a lot (either consciously or unconsciously) to antagonise....

But, while he is here and while he is an employee of the club, he has the opportunity to redeem himself.

I think he has the skill to do it; if he is given the chance and takes it, he could still turn around his reputation for being arguably the biggest waste of money in the club's history....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Despite Potter saying he'll work with Locadia it is almost certain that an incoming fee would see him off in the next week.

I don't particularly like the prospect of only 3 strikers in the squad as I have no faith in one of them - Connolly - to sort himself out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Despite Potter saying he'll work with Locadia it is almost certain that an incoming fee would see him off in the next week.

I don't particularly like the prospect of only 3 strikers in the squad as I have no faith in one of them - Connolly - to sort himself out.
An incoming offer to pay part of his wages until his contract ends next summer would see him off next week!

Re: Connolly (not Connelly - are some people just stupid or is it a snide way of showing disrespect?) -- GP has decided he's rather keep him here than send him out on loan to recapture the form he was in two years ago; it's a decision some of us don't agree with, but GP is the manager and knows better than us, so it is what it is. Here's hoping Potter has called this one right.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I'm confused. Which of our players am I supposed to hate now? And do I boo or just groan if they get picked to play?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
An incoming offer to pay part of his wages until his contract ends next summer would see him off next week!

Re: Connolly (not Connelly - are some people just stupid or is it a snide way of showing disrespect?) -- GP has decided he's rather keep him here than send him out on loan to recapture the form he was in two years ago; it's a decision some of us don't agree with, but GP is the manager and knows better than us, so it is what it is. Here's hoping Potter has called this one right.

I don't recall Locadia being in particularly good form at any time during his tenure with us, be it two years or two weeks ago!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here