Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The rules are there - published in the HoC library. I have linked them twice. I have read the rules. There is no immunity within the published rules for electing a Tory leader. If someone has decided to "invent" additional rules to suit the situation that is a different matter entirely.
If they played by the published rules, you wouldn't have to rely on rumours!
Like I say, the immunity rule is universally accepted in the political press - they've consistently reported on it for a weeks now. This is just one example from numerous that come up by Googling "Truss immune": https://www.politico.eu/article/liz-truss-prime-minister-uk-conservative-party-finished/ which includes the line "One mechanism under discussion is changing party rules to allow for Truss to be challenged — ordinarily she is immune for the first year of her premiership — and for Tory MPs to choose her successor without a vote by the grassroots membership."

However, looking like it might be a moot point: reports that Brady has just gone into #10.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Like I say, the immunity rule is universally accepted in the political press - they've consistently reported on it for a weeks now. This is just one example from numerous that come up by Googling "Truss immune": https://www.politico.eu/article/liz-truss-prime-minister-uk-conservative-party-finished/ which includes the line "One mechanism under discussion is changing party rules to allow for Truss to be challenged — ordinarily she is immune for the first year of her premiership — and for Tory MPs to choose her successor without a vote by the grassroots membership."

However, looking like it might be a moot point: reports that Brady has just gone into #10.
To be honest, it feels like she has been there for a year already.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not to equate this current shower's ideology with Hitler's fascists, but there are interesting political parallels to be spotted in the third series of BBC2's 'Rise of The Nazis'. The current series is confusingly titled, dealing, as it does, with the fall of the Nazis. Previous series have highlighted how Hitler deliberately sowed division among factions to maintain his own power, and the current series is showing the culmination of this approach when the power at the centre starts to crumble. All factions are unable to put aside their internal rivalries and hatreds and just end up fighting like rats in a bag. Armando Ianucci's 'Death of Stalin', although fictionalised, deals with the same issues occurring in the 1950's Soviet Union.

For the Conservative Party, this goes all the way back to Major's arguments with the anti-European 'Bastards'. The factionalism never went away after his massive defeat, but was actually increased by arrivestes and attempted compromises. Cameron's arrogant gamble of the UK's future on a referendum was done solely to try to end this internal squabble within his party. However, instead, it just started open warfare. Cameron's blindly ambitious fool of an Eton classmate, might reference Robert Graves' 'I Claudius' and say that the decision 'Let all the poisons that lurk(ed) in the mud, hatch out.'

The referendum result was 52% to 48%. Such a close outcome would logically point to democratic support for a middle ground compromise version of leaving that would maintain single market and customs union links. Instead, the whole business became a media fuelled mad scramble to be more Brexiteer than thou that was only going to be won by the 'swivel-eyed loons.' Johnson purged the party of any MPs willing to say 'The King is in the altogether' and the country is now left with the rump: A bunch of dogmatic ideologs who had no serious policies for tackling real world challenges and no ability to compromise with those who had a different view, because their only talent was a knack for convincingly blaming all of the nation's problems on a list of 'others' that was headed by immigrants and the EU. A talent that would have been considered very useful during 'The Rise of the Nazis', but that is of no use to anybody once the lie has become apparent to all.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We definitely need "none of the above" on the ballot paper at the next election, whenever that may be.

Historically I was always a Conservative voter although I switched to Nigel Farage's lot to ensure Brexit was achieved.

But what to do now?
Conservative. Not sure I could vote for this current shambles of a party. At least the party was fun when Boris was in charge. Who really cared whether he had a drink with colleagues after work?
Labour. No chance. Have always said I could never vote for a party called "Labour". And how could anyone vote for a party condoning the current round of strikes and headed up by a bloke who doesn't seem to know what a woman is?
Liberal: No way. We'd be back in the EU in no time.
Green. Even less of a chance. Climate change happens. It's a cyclical thing. The earth has had ice ages and warmer periods for millions of years. It happens.

Maybe Nigel could make a comeback. I'd vote for whatever party he would set up in preference to any of the other current options.

What I predict is a hung parliament with the LibDems joining a coalition government with Labout, but only on condition that there's another vote on some kind of proportional representation. If that happens there will likely be no more majority governments.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wholly difficult and bizarre times for the PM, the Government and the Tory party now. MPs got rid of one leader, decided on the shortlist for the new one. Party members voted Truss, who now looks set to leave. So what happens now? ANOTHER leadership contest? Or do they go against what is seemingly protocol and just install Hunt or A. N. Other to the position?

The country's treading water – at a time when it most needs leadership. Absolutely pathetic.

And STILL people* will say that a Labour party would 'fcuk(sic) this great nation up'! Madness.

*A mate of mine who is a staunch Conservative – and even he is ashamed of what is going on.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Truss 2022 departure odds. (Smarkets)

A month ago 100/1
When the 45% cut U turn happened 18/1
A week ago 9/1

Currently 1/10

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A new verb "To Truss’ ,

‘To Ill- advisedly but arrogantly embark on something and then fail spectacularly within a short period of time’

A contemporary example of use of the new verb would be - ‘Vladimir Putin trussed his invasion of Ukraine ‘

(credit to some random contributor on the Conservative Home website)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
For the Conservative Party, this goes all the way back to Major's arguments with the anti-European 'Bastards'. The factionalism never went away....
Strangely enough, I was talking with my wife about Major's 'bastards' only yesterday. That factionalism has lasted a generation.

Now that they won their longed-for Brexit, the departure of the EU from our public life has created a vacancy.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It would be a mistake of the most seismic proportions if Sir Graham Brady were to allow her to continue in office.

He doesn't come across as the kind of person to make a mistake like that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We definitely need "none of the above" on the ballot paper at the next election, whenever that may be.

Historically I was always a Conservative voter although I switched to Nigel Farage's lot to ensure Brexit was achieved.

But what to do now?
Conservative. Not sure I could vote for this current shambles of a party. At least the party was fun when Boris was in charge. Who really cared whether he had a drink with colleagues after work?
Labour. No chance. Have always said I could never vote for a party called "Labour". And how could anyone vote for a party condoning the current round of strikes and headed up by a bloke who doesn't seem to know what a woman is?
Liberal: No way. We'd be back in the EU in no time.
Green. Even less of a chance. Climate change happens. It's a cyclical thing. The earth has had ice ages and warmer periods for millions of years. It happens.

Maybe Nigel could make a comeback. I'd vote for whatever party he would set up in preference to any of the other current options.

What I predict is a hung parliament with the LibDems joining a coalition government with Labout, but only on condition that there's another vote on some kind of proportional representation. If that happens there will likely be no more majority governments.
My prediction is a Labour landslide.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wholly difficult and bizarre times for the PM, the Government and the Tory party now. MPs got rid of one leader, decided on the shortlist for the new one. Party members voted Truss, who now looks set to leave. So what happens now? ANOTHER leadership contest? Or do they go against what is seemingly protocol and just install Hunt or A. N. Other to the position?
if the parliamentry MPs propose only one candidate, they become leader without going to the membership. i reckon they know another leadership election is untenable, but cant decide among them on one. once that changes (my money on Mordaunt) this will shift within hours.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

Like Truss going, or a football manager.

It's the total lack of credible replacements or alternatives. Nobody really wants a Labour lead, Union backed leadership. we'll all be out on strike all the time.

What nonsense - read that in the Daily Mail, did you?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
An unscheduled meeting between the PM and Graham Brady, the head of the 1922 Committee of backbench Tory MPs, is taking place.

Downing Street sources have said the prime minister requested the meeting with Sir Graham Brady.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here