Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And this whole shambles has reaffirmed my view that it makes ZERO SENSE when people say they 'have' a political party.

In one week, the leader has COMPLETELY switched what she stands for, yet you will still have some people say "I'm a tory supporter".

What!? How does that work. You support the party no matter their policy? Madness.
The pull towards tribalism (sports team, band, political leader, brand, coffee shop etc) is immensely strong in most of us, to a greater or lesser extent.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I wouldn't say disingenuous. That's simply not the right word. Harsh, maybe? Fair? Certainly.

The difference between labour and conservate was paper thin in the 70s. If you mother thinks that 'Lawson boom and bust' as it is known, in the late 80s and early 90s, was caused by the labour government of the 70s, I'd be inclined to give her a cup of sweet tea, say 'yes, dear' and move on to another subject.

The difference between labour and conservative was extreme when Thatcher got it, and didn't become extreme again till Corbyn became labour leader. It has become highly extreme since Johnson and Starmer became leaders, and had now got immeasurably more extreme. If your mother still blames labour for the current state of play, that's a bit sad, but so it goes. :thumbsup:
It was late when I wrote that and in the cold light of day I've decided she's as mad as a box of frogs. :lolol:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

Like Truss going, or a football manager.

It's the total lack of credible replacements or alternatives. Nobody really wants a Labour lead, Union backed leadership. we'll all be out on strike all the time.
apologies, i don't understand the point you're making

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
If 40 of your MPs including a few heavyweights defy your 3 line whip you are toast

Maybe they took her advice about Nicola Sturgeon - just ignore her

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
And this whole shambles has reaffirmed my view that it makes ZERO SENSE when people say they 'have' a political party.

In one week, the leader has COMPLETELY switched what she stands for, yet you will still have some people say "I'm a tory supporter".

What!? How does that work. You support the party no matter their policy? Madness.
In normal times, I would put this down to ideology as in Tories are ideologically interested in themselves (this goes down to the selfish/misguided discussion) so generally some wealthy people who are looking to grow that wealth are always going to to vote Tory. Right now, I can't imagine why anyone would continue to support them as the future for all of us looks a little bleak.

I am ideologically aligned with the Labour party - It's nothing tribal or blinkered it's just that Labour are, and always have, most closely reflected my values.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think she’ll ride this out by simply laying low. Despite her protestations, she is no fighter. My guess is she will go soon but not for a couple more months. She’s trotting out the “I’ll stay and get the job done” Boris line.

She has mistaken ignoring a problem for being a “fighter”.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If 40 of your MPs including a few heavyweights defy your 3 line whip you are toast

Maybe they took her advice about Nicola Sturgeon - just ignore her
It won't have been 40.

The records have been corrected and show 36 Tories abstained. Of those 36, several have a "good reason" for not voting (eg there's one in hospital, a few are paired, Boris is on holiday again...). I suspect the actual number who get disciplined (assuming Truss survives long enough to hand out discipline) will be somewhere between 15 and 25.

Still a sizeable rebellion to a 3-line whip.

Edit: I will laugh my head off if Truss removes the whip from, say 21 MPs. But those 21 hadn't yet sent a letter to Brady. And then because the total number of Tories has dropped, it pushes the number of letters actually received over that rumoured 33% threshold he's looking at for taking action.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In normal times, I would put this down to ideology as in Tories are ideologically interested in themselves (this goes down to the selfish/misguided discussion) so generally some wealthy people who are looking to grow that wealth are always going to to vote Tory. Right now, I can't imagine why anyone would continue to support them as the future for all of us looks a little bleak.

I am ideologically aligned with the Labour party - It's nothing tribal or blinkered it's just that Labour are, and always have, most closely reflected my values.

That's exactly my position.

I would not have been sure about voting for a Corbyn led Labour, more because of the individuals involved than the policies, but I didn't have to make the decision because my vote was tactical anti-Conservative Lib-Dem.

I would not dismiss all Tories out of hand, and realise many MPs are traumatised at the moment - I really felt for Charles Clark yesterday.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It won't have been 40.

The records have been corrected and show 36 Tories abstained. Of those 36, several have a "good reason" for not voting (eg there's one in hospital, a few are paired, Boris is on holiday again...). I suspect the actual number who get disciplined (assuming Truss survives long enough to hand out discipline) will be somewhere between 15 and 25.

Edit: I will laugh my head off if Truss removes the whip from, say 21 MPs. But those 21 hadn't yet sent a letter to Brady. And then because the total number of Tories has dropped, it pushes the number of letters actually received over that rumoured 33% threshold he's looking at for taking action.
If she removes the whip to 40 MPs she basically decimates her power in parliament, if it happened again, she would basically have no power at all. The opposition aren't going to save her

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's exactly my position.

I would not have been sure about voting for a Corbyn led Labour, more because of the individuals involved than the policies, but I didn't have to make the decision because my vote was tactical anti-Conservative Lib-Dem.

I would not dismiss all Tories out of hand, and realise many MPs are traumatised at the moment - I really felt for Charles Clark yesterday.
This chap seems reasonable.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Care to expand upon that?

The Piccaninnies thing is clearly being sarcastic about people whose skin is a different colour to my white caucasian skin.

The tank-topped bum boys one is clearly intended to be pejorative to the LGBTQ+ community - particularly male homosexuals.

Both were used, as I am sure you are aware, by Boris Johnso, and picked up and used frequently by Stewart Lee in his columns in the Observer, and perhaps elsewhere.

Unthinking dolts like Johnson use such things (frequently) and would dismiss them as "banter".

Other more sensible and thinking people would recognise them for what they are - racist/homophobic (delete where applicable) and offensive.

PS -and I don't care whether you are trolling and trying to wind people up or you are just as twisted as Johnson, I am happy to make my woke views clear.

But I have never, as Suella Braverman might presume - eaten Tofu.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This government has no scruples or morals. I'm not sure even a 2 million strong rally of people calling for a GE followed by a widely supported general strike would make them consider a GE.

Of course, Truss may be forced out. Meh. Sadly, there is an army of talentless box-ticking morons on the government benches all too willing to take their 5 minutes of fame. They just need to be looney/stupid enough to command the support of the ERG, the Bruges Group or some other shady tax-payer funded Tufton Street crank group that won't even publish their members list.
As the hugely impressive (IMO) Charles Walker MP said last night, he was sick of talentless people putting a tick in the box to get a ministerial position not for the good of the country but for their own self-interest. So yes. There will be a queue of talentless box-ticking morons lining up to shaft us and the country.

Asked this morning on Today whether the British people now deserved to choose who leads the country through a GE, a Tory MP (forgotten who) simply replied "No". That is the total distain that this bunch of shysters holds us.

Has Truss had the whip removed this morning for not supporting the confidence motion in her own government? I mean, really. She is THAT dim and yet she still "leads" our country.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I agree with Ian

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Conservative MP for South West Devon Gary Streeter has become the seventh MP to publicly call for Liz Truss to go.

He's tweeted to say "Sadly, it seems we must change leader."

He goes on to say, "the Parliamentary Party has to urgently rediscover discipline, mutual respect and teamwork if we are to (i) govern the UK well and (ii) avoid slaughter at the next election."

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It won't have been 40.

Brady has already moved the threshhold from 15% to 30% and now 33%. Would you bet against him changing it again once he gets to 33%? He seems to be doing what he can to keep the Trussterfuck in No 10.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Labour tabled an urgent question for 10.30 for the Home Secretary. Yvette Cooper was there. but Shapps/Green/Stockheath/Fox didn't bother turning up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here