Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Agreed. There is an expression: "In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is King." Compared to Truss and Johnson Hunt is a political colossus. I too feel there is a slight improvement and perhaps things won't be quite as bad as we all feared now that at least there is a grown-up in charge. And no, I never thought I'd say that about Jeremy Hunt!
Does that not reinforce the view that things have got so desperately low that he is seen as a good thing because he is an improvement? When he was candidate for the top job it was a widespread 'hell no' and he was first out.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agreed. There is an expression: "In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is King." Compared to Truss and Johnson Hunt is a political colossus. I too feel there is a slight improvement and perhaps things won't be quite as bad as we all feared now that at least there is a grown-up in charge. And no, I never thought I'd say that about Jeremy Hunt!
To put it in perspective, we are still on the same path to economic disaster that we have been on for the last 3 years, but Hunt has turned the boosters down a little.

That's a positive, isn't it (y)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Imagine how pathetic we'd look bringing Boris back, we're a laughing stock. I can't stand British people, every day I think, not only are we the oddest looking people, we're complete morons too.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Imagine how pathetic we'd look bringing Boris back, we're a laughing stock. I can't stand British people, every day I think, not only are we the oddest looking people, we're complete morons too.
Oddest looking, really? I'd say the opposite.

Agree about complete morons, but that isn't a British people thing, that's most of the world. Most people are idiots.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ah - the inevitable ‘apology’ BBC interview.

It’s all going to be alright folks because she has said sorry! She still believes in a low tax, high growth economy so we’re all going to be fine.
Absolutely. I took particular note of her confession of 'going too far too fast'.

In other words, the population, the government and the markets didn't agree with her, only because they couldn't keep up with her thinking.

She still thinks she's right..........

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not a wind up. The frothy mouthed looks on those two yesterday was very scary indeed. I give Starmer his due, he was relatively reserved.
Frothy mouthed looks? How can a person look frothy mouthed without any froth? How can another person then be scared of it?

In IT terms, I think what you are describing is 'user error'.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Frothy mouthed looks? How can a person look frothy mouthed without any froth? How can another person then be scared of it?

In IT terms, I think what you are describing is 'user error'.
Thanks.

zombie-orpheus-onwaaard (1).gif

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Have to say the dignity, compassion and gravitas incorporated within her apology was far removed from the shouty, rabble like response from the likes of Reeves and Rayner yesterday.
Never thought I would see someone describe Liz Truss as having 'gravitas'!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Does that not reinforce the view that things have got so desperately low that he is seen as a good thing because he is an improvement? When he was candidate for the top job it was a widespread 'hell no' and he was first out.
Oh absolutely. But it does illustrate how low we've sunk when a politician that no one rates is seen as a vast improvement on what we've got. How did we get here? It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. Every other nation in the world is pissing themselves laughing at our expense, and their politicians can say to their people: "See? We're not that bad after all!"

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Oh absolutely. But it does illustrate how low we've sunk when a politician that no one rates is seen as a vast improvement on what we've got. How did we get here? It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. Every other nation in the world is pissing themselves laughing at our expense, and their politicians can say to their people: "See? We're not that bad after all!"
It seems to me that this happened when a powerful, well-connected opportunist made a massive power grab within the Conservative Party, expelled a huge swathe of its more reasonable, centre-right MPs, replaced them with individuals selected purely for their ability to tow the line on a single issue, and those voters whose politics aligns closely with the traditional Conservative Party turned a blind eye and continued to vote for them regardless without asking any questions about what else these individuals believed in.

I understand the attraction of treating politics like football, picking a political team and cheering them on without scrutinising them. You don’t have to think, you can be part of a group, and you can share pre-created memes and tropes that mock “the opposition”. Unfortunately, unless you pay close attention to what that political team are actually doing in power, you can also cause immense harm to the country you live in. We as voters (on all sides) need (our media) to ask tougher questions of our politicians, and be prepared to vote against our political instincts where we feel that incumbents have become far too comfortable in power. Jacob Rees-Mogg lounging in the House of Commons was just one of many very visible signs that we needed to shift the incumbents out of power. We’re paying the price now in almost every aspect of our lives.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think the media could do with turning down the temperature a little bit. The hounding of Liz Truss is unpleasant. She is clearly out of her depth, it's obvious to everyone - but it's all getting very personal now in the hunt for social media clicks and content to keep people hooked on watching 24/7 and browsing their App.

Call me a cynic, but I can't help but think their level of hysteria contributed to the crash in the markets if not drove it. Obviously, the policies were a huge problem and it was right that was made clear and the opposition to it was voiced and covered adequately. But there does come a point where it's just nasty and inhuman.
i may've been able to muster some sympathy if the flag shaggers behaved in a patriotic manner, but they never do 🤔

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales

Any cuts to the NHS will be awful for us all, but any cuts to Defence may mean a cabinet resignation - Wallace said (under Kwarteng rather than Hunt) he would walk if any cuts made to his department. May be different now as the cuts have been widely abandoned though.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Not sure I follow all the plaudits for The Hunt.

- He has removed the safeguards on energy prices after next April
- He has abandoned - indefinitely - the reduction in the basic rate of income tax
- He has reinstated the higher rates of Corporation Tax (and increasing taxation, particularly whilst interest rates are very high, does not encourage investment and through investment comes growth).

And we still have very high interest rates and rampant inflation. He has removed / reversed the couple of changes that gave me some hope I could get through this. Now what? Most of us are going to be even worse off with the abandonment of the energy price guarantee.

BUT - in order to preserve his post-parliament employment / consultancy opportunities he hasn't reversed the cap on bankers' bonuses. So that's ok then.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
1666082627124.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here