[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m trying to discuss Truss’s economic policy is that not allowed?
no, you're trying to discuss a fringe economics theory that less than 1% of economist would consider valid model. Truss's economic policy, such as it is, would be wholey based on the prevailing standard economic model, though more Austrian than Keynesian in interpretation.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
no, you're tyring to discuss a fringe economics theory that less than 1% of economist would consider valid model. Truss's economic policy, such as it is, would be wholey based on the prevailing standard economic model, though more Austrian than Keynesian in interpretation.
You mean more batshit than Keynesian

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Peston now saying he's not resigning. Another u-turn!
we cant start calling u-turns for media speculation.

if he does go, money on Javid.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I wasn't being serious.

Javid yeah, or Zahawi, would be most likely I assume for Chancellor.
That's where the current press reports are going. Javid or Zahawi. A couple have speculated Sunak, but I would expect he'd be third choice at best currently (and likely to turn it down anyway).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That's where the current press reports are going. Javid or Zahawi. A couple have speculated Sunak, but I would expect he'd be third choice at best currently (and likely to turn it down anyway).
Or could it be Jeremy Hunt?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That bell-end Mogg was asked yesterday, by Mishal, something about the way the markets responded to the mini budget, and he said that there is no evidence that the change in the market had anything to do with the mini budget and that by making this 'accusation' the BBC was in breach of its requirements for impartiality. What an absolute weapon :facepalm:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Sunak would be sensible but far, far too humiliating. should have be done day one as a sign of unity, moment has well passed.

Hunt is interesting left field.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Surely Truss can't sack Kwarteng, appoint someone else, and survive?

Please tell me this isn't going to happen.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Sunak would be sensible but far, far too humiliating. should have be done day one as a sign of unity, moment has well passed.

Hunt is interesting left field.
I'm not sure how she could choose Sunak - they had quite different ideas on tax and the economy in the leadership election, so either Sunak would need to change his mind and get behind Truss' ideas (unlikely), or Truss would basically have to admit that her own economic policy - which she was elected by Tory members to put in place over Sunak's - was wrong. In which case, Sunak might as well be leader.

I can't see them working together well. I'm also intrigued to see which direction Truss goes now - her economic vision appeared to be ideologically driven (no-one was asking for it, so can't be populist), so will she change direction just to keep power, or will she try and reintroduce her desired policies at a later date?

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surely the problem for her now is that anyone with the credibility to calm the markets won't take the role as they want her out too.

The next election is lost, it's now about who wins the moderate vs right power struggle in the Conservative party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports