Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
she comes across like a really inexperienced junior minister that they're throwing to the media because no one else was available

she's the PM ffs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Okay I'll stick my head above the parapet! Something had to be done differently. We are going down a very slippery path where it is clear that the standard ways of dealing with things is not working, for anyone - most countries are suffering in exactly the same way we are. The perceived wisdom of the tried and tested solutions are not working, because funnily enough we haven't had a situation like this before. Global Pandemic, followed by war in Europe, together with fuel crisis. Three massive events all coming at the same time. Who is to say that the old economic thinking still works? I admire the fact they are trying something different and believe she needs time for this to play out. It may be a fail, but given the hand she was dealt, at least she is trying to find a new path, rather than just the same old tired economic plans. The institutions don't like it because it's different. That doesn't mean to say it's wrong. We won't know that for some time.

And it is no surprise to me she is floundering in these interviews. She has an awful lot to deal with at the moment. Would be very difficult for any one person to have all the answers right now. Look at Biden for goodness sakes, all over the place.

a sprited defense - better than Truss would manage.

you might have a point to try something different. to do it all at once, without any costing, going against own bank's policy, and the timing with financial markets instability and flight to $, is what institutions dont like. it should have all sat on the shelf until spring except the energy price freeze.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
"Jackie, are you here? Where's Jackie? She must not be here"

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Right, our economy is in tatters and you're taking potshots at Biden in what can only be described as an utterly feeble attempt at deflection.

Mods? Can we get a mod in here?

Oh.

yeh to be honest it's absolutely no comfort to me that other countries have rubbish leaders

what's Biden got to do with Truss?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Okay I'll stick my head above the parapet! Something had to be done differently. We are going down a very slippery path where it is clear that the standard ways of dealing with things is not working, for anyone - most countries are suffering in exactly the same way we are. The perceived wisdom of the tried and tested solutions are not working, because funnily enough we haven't had a situation like this before. Global Pandemic, followed by war in Europe, together with fuel crisis. Three massive events all coming at the same time. Who is to say that the old economic thinking still works? I admire the fact they are trying something different and believe she needs time for this to play out. It may be a fail, but given the hand she was dealt, at least she is trying to find a new path, rather than just the same old tired economic plans. The institutions don't like it because it's different. That doesn't mean to say it's wrong. We won't know that for some time.

If - if - we assume there's some genius strategy behind all of this, the Tories have to be able to sell the idea/vision, to give the markets condfidence and people hope and support.

Not really happening, is it?!

And it is no surprise to me she is floundering in these interviews.

It's not a suprise because she's always been a terrible speaker and is clearly out of her depth.

She was terrible on the day of the Queen's death and at the funeral. Like a sixth-former thrust onto a world stage.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Jackie, are you here? Where's Jackie? She must not be here"

Joe Biden being quite clearly on the verge of losing it due to senility and causing issues through blowing up gas pipes and what not really isn't a good argument to applause Liz losing it due to incompetence or corruption and causing issues through harmful adjustments to an already suffering economy. They're bothing playings games with the European economy for their own gains... which is just about the least we need right now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't remember Thatcher going down the path of crashing the economy and having to be rescued by the BOE within days of taking office. And whatever people thought of her politics, I don't think you'll find many who would claim she was an incompetent idiot.

But carry on :facepalm:

Thatcher waited several years before delivering tax cuts. Truss waited a few minutes.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Probably worth saying that the dollar rate is back up to $1.09, it was $1.08 pre the mini budget.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So it seems Liz Truss decided to do the rounds on BBC Local Radio this morning (largely to avoid having to speak to the national broadcasters, it's been claimed) on the basis she and her team thought she'd get an easier ride on these stations. So, how did it go for yon Liz?

[tweet]1575381418464739328[/tweet]

[tweet]1575395660018368514[/tweet]

[tweet]1575389891453648901[/tweet]

After these:
1, I don't think she'll be out there doing too many media duties in a hurry
2, when/if she does, expect to hear more of 'I don't accept the premise of your question' -- it's the second time I've heard it in separate interviews this morning.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Biden has overtly rejected trickle down economics and the dollar is strong and the US economy doing much better.

Truss has embraced trickle down economics and .... well ..... you know the rest.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Biden has overtly rejected trickle down economics and the dollar is strong and the US economy doing much better.

Truss has embraced trickle down economics and .... well ..... you know the rest.

its nothing to do with Biden, its the Fed promising to raise interest rates into 2023. with much debt around world in $ you need to hold that to repay. when everything is turning sour you go for the least worst place.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I doubt many will bother saying it though... doesn't play into the PANIC narrative.

No-one (else) will say it, because it's simply untrue.

Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 11.01.21.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here