[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Truss seems to be exhibiting some of the signs of a sociopath. No empathy and no conscience.

So when she says she's prepared to make difficult decisions this doesn't display a sign of a good leader it merely shows she has no consideration or concern about the consequences of her actions so of course she has no problem in doing these things.

Like Boris, she'll have no problem at all getting a good night's sleep as the country descends further into chaos because of her incompetence.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The Guardians take on her local radio interviews:

Liz Truss is in denial. That is the primary takeaway from this morning’s BBC local radio interview round.

She was asked repeatedly about the economic turmoil unleashed by the mini-budget last Friday, which has pushed up government borrowing costs, and which is set to push up mortgage rates more sharply than was expected because it included unfunded tax cuts and traders do not believe the government’s claim that they will eventually pay for themselves through higher growth. But instead she would not address this point at all, and instead she insisted on regurgitating a series of red herring talking points.

She claimed that the “vast majority” of what was announced on Friday related to the energy bills package. This is true in the sense that, for the first time on Friday, Kwasi Kwarteng, the chancellor, put a price tag on the energy bills measures already announced and that, at £60bn for six months, this cost more than the tax cuts. But these measures had already been announced, and the price was no surprise. It was not that that spooked the markets. It was the unfunded tax cuts, the spurious claims about the impact they might have on growth (not backed by an OBR analysis), and the hint on Sunday from Kwarteng that the government would go further.

Truss claimed that this was a global crisis, caused by Vladimir Putin. In terms of energy prices, she is absolutely right. But the energy bills package did not cause the current turmoil. And it was not Putin’s decision to abolish the 45% highest rate of tax in the UK, to ban the OBR from producing a new economic forecast, or accelerate a programme of unfunded tax cuts.

And, when asked about interest rates, Truss tried to imply that was nothing to do with her, because they are set by the independent Bank of England. They are. But the Bank responds to decisions taken by the government. Her answers on this were not quite dishonest, but they were certainly disingenuous.

Truss is not daft and she must know that the ‘lines to take’ she is relying upon do not address the questions she needs to answer. The BBC radio presenters who were interviewing her could tell she was flannelling, and Tory MPs who were listening will have thought the same.

It is hard to see her getting through Conservative party conference without better answers than these.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The Lancashire one is astonishing. It's like she's never done an interview before.

And what preparation did she have for that interview? Fracking is a hot topic in Lancashire and was clearly going to be part of an interview but it was like she didn't have the faintest idea what the issues were.

The only interview I've heard as bad as that was when Chloe Smith was eviscerated by Paxo on Newsnight - and she had the excuse that she was a juniour minister handed the poison chalice Truss hasn't got that excuse.

Sounds like she's promoting the "I'm not corrupt - I'm just an idiot" excuse quite well and people will buy it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I was actually there at the time and remember it and I can assure you she didn't have this effect on the economy within days and she wasn't rescued by the Bank of England. I am assuming from your reply that you weren't but have read up about it.

Being too young to actually know what happened isn't an issue, but if you are trying to learn from other's writings make sure you understanding who you are reading. Trust me, Thatcher would be spinning in her grave at the state of this current cabal.

The only similarity being that they both wore a fur hat in a picture, but it was obviously enough to convince some :lolol:

I was 8 when she came to power, I remember it well :wink:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Liz Truss is in denial. That is the primary takeaway from this morning’s BBC local radio interview round.

She was asked repeatedly about the economic turmoil unleashed by the mini-budget last Friday, which has pushed up government borrowing costs, and which is set to push up mortgage rates more sharply than was expected because it included unfunded tax cuts and traders do not believe the government’s claim that they will eventually pay for themselves through higher growth. But instead she would not address this point at all, and instead she insisted on regurgitating a series of red herring talking points.

She claimed that the “vast majority” of what was announced on Friday related to the energy bills package. This is true in the sense that, for the first time on Friday, Kwasi Kwarteng, the chancellor, put a price tag on the energy bills measures already announced and that, at £60bn for six months, this cost more than the tax cuts. But these measures had already been announced, and the price was no surprise. It was not that that spooked the markets. It was the unfunded tax cuts, the spurious claims about the impact they might have on growth (not backed by an OBR analysis), and the hint on Sunday from Kwarteng that the government would go further.

Truss claimed that this was a global crisis, caused by Vladimir Putin. In terms of energy prices, she is absolutely right. But the energy bills package did not cause the current turmoil. And it was not Putin’s decision to abolish the 45% highest rate of tax in the UK, to ban the OBR from producing a new economic forecast, or accelerate a programme of unfunded tax cuts.

And, when asked about interest rates, Truss tried to imply that was nothing to do with her, because they are set by the independent Bank of England. They are. But the Bank responds to decisions taken by the government. Her answers on this were not quite dishonest, but they were certainly disingenuous.

Truss is not daft and she must know that the ‘lines to take’ she is relying upon do not address the questions she needs to answer. The BBC radio presenters who were interviewing her could tell she was flannelling, and Tory MPs who were listening will have thought the same.

It is hard to see her getting through Conservative party conference without better answers than these.

This last line is the real point.

She's got to make this case at conference. She'll have to find enough people to go out and clap when she says it in a speech and answer detailed questions from big hitter journalists. If she can barely make a case, how can she expect anyone else to?

Somehow she has to avoid resignations, defections and probably denouncements from her own side. These red wall MP's no no prospect whatsoever of re-election under Truss. Even if this trickle down growth plan works in 2 years, which it won't, the red wall voters will remember it was them thrown under the bus. It's surely in their interest just to cross the floor en masse.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The more I hear of Truss the more I warm to her. I think she may surprise us in terms of her resilience, and who knows they may have made the right call on the economy in the long run? Only time will tell.

Each to their own, but that's quite a remarkable take on things.

I'll admit to not knowing too much about Truss before the recent leadership campaign, but my opinion of her worsens with pretty much everything she says and does, and I'm struggling to understand how anyone could think otherwise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i dont think she actually understands the policy. if she did she would come out with a long winded defense of how tax cuts can encourage growth. or have the wit to deflect and move the conversation onto energy price freeze (everyones happy about that, right?), waffle on about some long-vision and run down the clock.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You have to hand it to Liz Truss.

I’ll be honest, I thought ( hoped) we would never have a worse PM than Johnson but she’s beating him into a cocked hat.
And, it only taken her about a month.

That’s really impressive stuff.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The more I hear of Truss the more I warm to her. I think she may surprise us in terms of her resilience, and who knows they may have made the right call on the economy in the long run? Only time will tell.

I recall lots of complaints when Thatcher started down this path, but she was right in the end.

Good grief :mad:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
She is bonkers

Bring back Boris.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i dont think she actually understands the policy. if she did she would come out with a long winded defense of how tax cuts can encourage growth. or have the wit to deflect and move the conversation onto energy price freeze (everyones happy about that, right?), waffle on about some long-vision and run down the clock.

She's clearly far from proficient as a public speaker, which is unfortunate in a role where a fair bit of it is required. But that can be forgiven if it is clear that away from the microphone she is a highly-competent operator. Sadly I can see no indication that she is.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

She lacks the ability to argue a case constructively and passionately and comes across terribly in interviews .

You could give a competent PM a sealed envelope containing a mystery topic and after five minutes construct either a passionate defence or a reason to oppose it. TB, DC and BJ were masters of this type of argument. Truss can't carry an argument in her head and just reverts to parroting out of context replies .

Trouble is, Tory MP'S won't vote No Confidence as they will be out of a job.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Each to their own, but that's quite a remarkable take on things.

I'll admit to not knowing too much about Truss before the recent leadership campaign, but my opinion of her worsens with pretty much everything she says and does, and I'm struggling to understand how anyone could think otherwise.

Okay I'll stick my head above the parapet! Something had to be done differently. We are going down a very slippery path where it is clear that the standard ways of dealing with things is not working, for anyone - most countries are suffering in exactly the same way we are. The perceived wisdom of the tried and tested solutions are not working, because funnily enough we haven't had a situation like this before. Global Pandemic, followed by war in Europe, together with fuel crisis. Three massive events all coming at the same time. Who is to say that the old economic thinking still works? I admire the fact they are trying something different and believe she needs time for this to play out. It may be a fail, but given the hand she was dealt, at least she is trying to find a new path, rather than just the same old tired economic plans. The institutions don't like it because it's different. That doesn't mean to say it's wrong. We won't know that for some time.

And it is no surprise to me she is floundering in these interviews. She has an awful lot to deal with at the moment. Would be very difficult for any one person to have all the answers right now. Look at Biden for goodness sakes, all over the place.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Okay I'll stick my head above the parapet! Something had to be done differently. We are going down a very slippery path where it is clear that the standard ways of dealing with things is not working, for anyone - most countries are suffering in exactly the same way we are. The perceived wisdom of the tried and tested solutions are not working, because funnily enough we haven't had a situation like this before. Global Pandemic, followed by war in Europe, together with fuel crisis. Three massive events all coming at the same time. Who is to say that the old economic thinking still works? I admire the fact they are trying something different and believe she needs time for this to play out. It may be a fail, but given the hand she was dealt, at least she is trying to find a new path, rather than just the same old tired economic plans. The institutions don't like it because it's different. That doesn't mean to say it's wrong. We won't know that for some time.

Amazing.

Do you remember when Sami Hyppia tried 'something entirely different' - putting the full backs up front and playing no midfield, and we got hammered every week, because it was a stupid idea and could never work?

Well, that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
She has been put in place by the ERG and TPA who are both groups within the Conservative party, basically as a puppet or mouthpiece. She has a set script with answers and if any question goes off script, she can't cope.

I disliked Johnson intently but he did have the gift of the gab, albeit a childish one straying onto Pepper Pig or making buses out of cardboard boxes!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

And it is no surprise to me she is floundering in these interviews. She has an awful lot to deal with at the moment. Would be very difficult for any one person to have all the answers right now. Look at Biden for goodness sakes, all over the place.

Learn from history. A war in Europe, global pandemic, and maybe, not so much a fuel crisis, but certainly an unemployment crisis 1915-1925

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

She has had 4 days of invisibility. nobody has seen her as she has kept her head down, she has had time to cobble up a bit more bullsh*t to give some answers instead of mumbling sweet FA

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Okay I'll stick my head above the parapet! Something had to be done differently. We are going down a very slippery path where it is clear that the standard ways of dealing with thing is not working, for anyone - most countries are suffering in exactly the same way we are. The perceived wisdom of the tried and tested solutions are not working, because funnily enough we haven';t had a situation like this before. Global Pandemic, followed by war in Europe, together with fuel crisis. Three massive events all coming at the same time. Who is to say that the old economic thinking still works? I admire the fact they are trying something different and believe she needs time for this to play out. It may be a fail, but given the hand she was dealt, at least she is trying to find a new path, rather than just the same old tired economic plans. The institutions don't like it because it's different. That doesn't mean to say it's wrong. We won't know that for some time.

While the world has been in all kinds of needs to restructure the workings of finance, lets say through a Bretton Woods II... you still just can't run away on your own in a globalised economy. She may or (more likely) may not have a great plan, but if the former is indeed the case, it can not work out if the goddamn central bank - the core of the financial system - in your own country got no clue about what she's doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports