Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You really think that either of them thought it through like that?

Johnson backed what he thought would favour his ambition.

Corbyn simply wasn't interested, or paying political attention, and offered no leadership or firm position of any sort, because what passes as his mind was elsewhere. Where? I really don't know. Probably on how best to get to a picket line somewhere using public transport.

Johnson could not have been PM if Labour won the 2019 election. And, even with JC leading Labour, they might have struggled had he not based the whole thing around getting Brexit over the line. Yes, it absolutely was his personal ambition to be PM, but a fractured Tory party would not have delivered that for him. Boris still needed the party and the party still needed Boris.

JC's mind was purely on the Labour party becoming "ideologically pure" so, from that POV, he was thinking of the existential future of Labour. He didn't deliver it because he's utterly incompetent at pretty much everything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You really think that either of them thought it through like that?

Johnson backed what he thought would favour his ambition.

Corbyn simply wasn't interested, or paying political attention, and offered no leadership or firm position of any sort, because what passes as his mind was elsewhere. Where? I really don't know. Probably on how best to get to a picket line somewhere using public transport.

On THE three biggest issues facing the UK at that time …. Israel, Israel, Israel.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Asian markets open, £ continues to tumble...
Yep, according to a US economist we are now a " Submerging Market " ....we are looking at really hard times ahead.

Things will get a lot worse for the country until we get the much needed and inevitable change of government. Sadly we are at the political equivalent of Cricket where the team batting second overtakes the team batting first and as such, every run counts double.

The worse it gets in the near future, the longer it is going to take to reverse out of the mess of the last 12 years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Has anyone considered the point of view that the Tories are resigned to defeat at the next GE so between now and then it's a case of 'fill your boots' with as much as you can.

Yes.

As an accountant, I envisage 2023/24 being a year of record dividends paid from SME’s and bonuses from City firms.

It’ll be kind of quantifiable from record tax receipts.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Isn’t it Dec 24? And yes, the full 5.

The only reason I remember Dec 19 is that it was 3 months before the Mar 20 pandemic turned the world upside down.

Yes, Parliament dissolves December’24 and GE Jan 25. I lost track of years during lockdown!

I reckon that if this shit-or-bust budget doesn’t work they’ll call a GE early and let Labour try and clean it up and take the blame for the ensuing shit fest.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yep, according to a US economist we are now a " Submerging Market " ....we are looking at really hard times ahead.

The worse it gets in the near future, the longer it is going to take to reverse out of the mess of the last 12 years.

Hail the Saviour, Sir Starmer (and the Unions of course).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But you must be optimistic that the UK’s own direction of travel takes a huge about-turn in 2024? You’ve been consistently very pleased with Starmer’s leadership.

I was thrilled when Starmer won, disappointed with the lack of charisma, then pleased with the lack of charisma.

I was pleased he didn't cull the Corbynny front benchers for grandstanding purposes, and pleased when he sacked some when they shot their own feet (like the weird cyberwoman).

Opposition is a cold and barren place. I'm pleased he hasn't overheated himself.

#teamdullbutsensible

(It could all turn to shit, of course, but country first for me. Not labour at any cost. And I say that as a member. Or tool, as some might call me :lolol:)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Hail the Saviour, Sir Starmer (and the Unions of course).

Blimey.

Not "here's how Liz's policies will actually succeed".

Just "post something sarky about the bloke whose job it is to point out these policies are bollocks".

Last one into the Tory bunker needs to check the heat and lighting bill is affordable. Seems like our glorious leaders might be hunkered down for some time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, Parliament dissolves December’24 and GE Jan 25. I lost track of years during lockdown!

I reckon that if this shit-or-bust budget doesn’t work they’ll call a GE early and let Labour try and clean it up and take the blame for the ensuing shit fest.

Totally agree on the budget itself.

I expect to be entering rather large dividend numbers on tax returns in 2023/24, as folk max out on distributing retained profits, not particularly concerned about the narrow 60% slice. The top slice to infinity taxed at 32.5% as opposed to 40% or more under Starmer.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Blimey.

Just "post something sarky about the bloke whose job it is to point out these policies are bollocks".

Last one into the Tory bunker needs to check the heat and lighting bill is affordable. Seems like our glorious leaders might be hunkered down for some time.

How about moving the “is Keir credible” back to this board…I mean we all want to post about what a jolly good chap he is

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Blimey.

Proof that the policies are not working, after 3 days?

Really.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How about moving the “is Keir credible” back to this board…I mean we all want to post about what a jolly good chap he is

Are you not comfortable with debating the opposition's performance on a thread about the PM who is being opposed by the opposition?

I think you're chasing headlines.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Are you not comfortable with debating the opposition's performance on a thread about the PM who is being opposed by the opposition?

I think you're chasing headlines.

The Liz Truss thread is live and kicking, Shirley a viable opposition thread can hold its own?

In the name of balance, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here