[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
"Honest mistake" - So while the rest of us go our entire careers without mistaking our work phone for our private phone, Braverman couldn't manage 6 weeks. Brilliant work Sue-Ellen.
All I could think about when I read that.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Conclusions can only be drawn once he’s had a few months in power. I am not going to argue with anything you say about the Tories but what I’ve seen of Starmer does not inspire me in the least. Best I can come up with is that he doesn’t seem to be a crook, which will make a change.

Maybe a charisma free hardworking PM is just what we need but as I said before he talks the talk let’s see what he does when he has to walk the walk.

I have no doubts it will happen and I would love to be proved wrong but he does not inspire anything but dislike from me at the mome

Conclusions can only be drawn once he’s had a few months in power. I am not going to argue with anything you say about the Tories but what I’ve seen of Starmer does not inspire me in the least. Best I can come up with is that he doesn’t seem to be a crook, which will make a change.

Maybe a charisma free hardworking PM is just what we need but as I said before he talks the talk let’s see what he does when he has to walk the walk.

I have no doubts it will happen and I would love to be proved wrong but he does not inspire anything but dislike from me at the moment :shrug:
Let's put it this way, as someone who manages property, that if you're left with a building full of exposed asbestos, you've got to remove the asbestos before you can start refurbishing the building. That's the polite version - I could have used stables as my parallel, but that would be rather unpleasant. Starmer at the present rate will be left a complete mess to try to improve, and will no doubt receive severe criticism when he has to take very unpopular decisions, most likely from his own left wing, with all their "Kieth" nonsense.

I say this as an up to now lifelong Tory, but who just wants to see some measured, sensible government in this country (yes, Watford Zero, that did include 2019, as I didn't want Corbyn's Labour Party in power, and I thought Swinson blew her credibility by proposing to revoke Article 50 without a vote - I seriously looked at voting Liberal Democrat up to that point, but opted to vote for my local candidate, who was a One Nation Conservative and Remainer).

As for the Tories, I suppose if they put their stupid bickering aside and agreed to let Sunak become their leader, they could avoid a wipe out, but I suspect their "he stabbed our Boris in the back" stuff will get in the way. Their choice, I suppose.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
;););)

Attachments

• IMG-20221019-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221019-WA0000.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 30

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Grant Shapps sacked as Transport Secretary by the decisive decision maker that is Liz Truss as she takes office as PM.

43 days later, Grant Shapps appointed to Home Secretary by the decisive decision maker that is Liz Truss as PM.

Braverman does the shortest stint as Home Secretary for 188 years!

Strong and stable with me...or chaos with....:facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Braverman goes whining out the door by the look of it... says she's resigning down to a genuine mistake but later in her resignation letter says she is " Concerned by the direction of travel of this government " ...not exactly full of praise then ?

Still I won't weep for the horrid woman.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The outgoing home secretary says she is resigning with the greatest regret:

"Earlier today, I sent an official document from my personal email to a trusted parliamentary colleague as part of policy engagement, and with the aim of garnering support for government policy on migration.

"This constitutes a technical infringement of the rules. As you know, the document was a draft Written Ministerial Statement about migration, due for publication imminently. Much of it had already been briefed to MPs. Nevertheless it is right for me to go.

"As soon as I realised my mistake, I rapidly reported this on official channels, and informed the Cabinet Secretary. As Home Secretary I hold myself to the highest standards and my resignation is the right thing to do.

"The business of government relies upon people accepting responsibility for their mistakes.

"Pretending we haven't made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone can't see that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right is not serious politics. I have made a mistake; I accept responsibility; I resign.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Strange. I always thought it was the Chief Whip who issued such missives (a.k.a. threats). That's the Chief Whip's job, not the PM's. The PM is there to run the country (even if she spectacularly fails to), the Chief Whip manages the Party. Still, if the pitchforks are out and being sharpened.................

(not that I'm averse to a close association between the ersatz PM and pitchforks - bring 'em on!)
There's at least one Conservative MP with a backbone. I suspect he will abstain.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Pretending we haven't made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone can't see that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right is not serious politics. I have made a mistake; I accept responsibility; I resign."

CopyPaste-370x247.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Of course the real tragedy now is that Suella Braverman is never going to be able to wave off that plane full of refugees she was sending to Rwanda in her dreams

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
6 weeks, two Chancellors, two Home Secretaries, two advisors sacked/investigated.
One mini budget torn to shreds.
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Of course the real tragedy now is that Suella Braverman is never going to be able to wave off that plane full of refugees she was sending to Rwanda in her dreams

Oh dear, How very sad, never mind.

My heart bleeds........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports