Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. I went to Comprehensive in Hove in 1983. Still lots of ex Grammar School teachers and books on site.

In other news, "it" has begun. Text from mate today to say that if mortgages and inflation are what he thinks they will be he won't be able to afford going to football in the new year. I wonder how the club will deal with people who default on DD because they are buying heating, housing and eating? Sometimes people wonder why there are politics threads on here because, as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, one zealot is never going to change the mind of another. But this is why. In three weeks flat at least one working man has decided he can't go to football any more because of the incompetent leadership of this country. He won't be the last.

Quite. This is shocking. I had a similar exchange with someone in a situation not dissimilar today.

Growth, is it, for which we are sacrificing everything, Lizzie?

Cancer, more like.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh I’d read - I just couldn’t believe anyone would write such nonsense unless as a joke!

Indeed. Your astonishment is unsurprising. Yet it is amazing how much is not known by so many who are certain they understand so much.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In other news, "it" has begun. Text from mate today to say that if mortgages and inflation are what he thinks they will be he won't be able to afford going to football in the new year. I wonder how the club will deal with people who default on DD because they are buying heating, housing and eating? Sometimes people wonder why there are politics threads on here because, as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, one zealot is never going to change the mind of another. But this is why. In three weeks flat at least one working man has decided he can't go to football any more because of the incompetent leadership of this country. He won't be the last.

And it’s not just the direct hit in the new year. What happens when the next TV contract comes up when thousands have had to cancel their Sky / BT subscriptions for the same reasons? And that’s before we even get to the off-field problems of the club’s energy bills, supporting club staff (or risk losing them) etc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And it’s not just the direct hit in the new year. What happens when the next TV contract comes up when thousands have had to cancel their Sky / BT subscriptions for the same reasons? And that’s before we even get to the off-field problems of the club’s energy bills, supporting club staff (or risk losing them) etc.

Exactly. While I was looking at that from a supporter point of view, the club risks higher costs and fewer bums on seats. Might already be happening. There's only so much you can put up beer and burgers by before people simply stop paying.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Some debate about grammar schools on here. The irony for Truss who loves them (despite the evidence being that overall negative impact on achievement) is that the education Secretary who closed the most during their tenure went on to become prime minister. Yes. Margaret Thatcher closed more grammar schools as education Secretary than anyone else.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some debate about grammar schools on here. The irony for Truss who loves them (despite the evidence being that overall negative impact on achievement) is that the education Secretary who closed the most during their tenure went on to become prime minister. Yes. Margaret Thatcher closed more grammar schools as education Secretary than anyone else.

She was another simpleton who stumbled onto her Big Idea (given to her by others) in middle age, after a nondescript lifetime of being lobby fodder.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Indeed. Your astonishment is unsurprising. Yet it is amazing how much is not known by so many who are certain they understand so much.

You mean people claiming you don't know when your own school went comprehensive :dunce:

I think it took years to roll out. At my school the first year (11 year olds) only went comprehensive in 1976, the year I left, so 1982 before the whole school was comprehensive ???
Not that long. New schools were being built in the 60s and 70s - and all the new ones were comprehensive from the start (though they still segregated pupils by ability - at least the ones that I knew did).

That sort of thing :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
cancel their Sky subscriptions

Having changed jobs over the summer, they happen to be a client of the company I now work for. Sky are struggling to cope now, in terms of processing, with the sheer volume of equipment being sent to them that has to be returned to when people cancel their subscriptions as per T&C's.

Top tip - if anyone cancels with Sky and has to return equipment DO NOT lose or throwaway the Royal Mail tracking number from the bar code. :thumbsup:

Mate of mine owns a small cafe/deli here in our village. His electric company have told them their new rates are as follows Cost per unit - up from 20p to £1.13 / Standing Charge - up from 78p per day to £4. On their average use that is an increase of £1650 a month. He is now seriously considering closing the doors. Thousands of SME's all over the country are being faced with this. That is Truss's growth plan in action right there.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mate of mine owns a small cafe/deli here in our village. His electric company have told them their new rates are as follows Cost per unit - up from 20p to £1.13 / Standing Charge - up from 78p per day to £4. On their average use that is an increase of £1650 a month. He is now seriously considering closing the doors. Thousands of SME's all over the country are being faced with this. That is Truss's growth plan in action right there.

How much more should we borrow/tax to cover bills of others?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well maybe, just maybe, we shoudn't have been cutting taxes at this particular point in time

I agree we shouldn’t have.

But then people moan taxes are too high.

But how much is the 45p drop worth? Doesn’t touch the sides

Certainly not the billions we are paying out for the energy bills.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree we shouldn’t have.

But then people moan taxes are too high.

But how much is the 45p drop worth? Doesn’t touch the sides

Certainly not the billions we are paying out for the energy bills.

Truss and Kwarteng moan that taxes are too high, I haven't noticed too many others

And we certainly wouldn't want to tax the profits from energy companies to cover 'the billions we are paying out for energy', would we ???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Truss and Kwarteng moan that taxes are too high, I haven't noticed too many others

missed all the crying over the NI rise for social care. not much about what happens to that now that funding is cut, implied it will carry on but paid by debt. expect to be cut back dramatically.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
But Climate Minister Graham Stuart denied a Times report that a campaign had been blocked by Downing Street.

He said UK energy was secure despite a National Grid warning of blackouts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63170588

National Grid warns of blackouts. Tory minister says "nah. not going to happen."

Who to trust eh? Who to trust? ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hungary - a country in the EU and with a corporation tax rate of just 9% - is forecast to grow by 2.1% in 2023, so below the 2.5% government target for here in the UK. However, Ireland's 2023 growth projection is 3.9% and they have a 12.5% CT rate.

Low tax rates by themselves won't ensure growth, especially when there is a labour shortage. 8 in 10 UK businesses looking to recruit are having problems sourcing labour.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hungary - a country in the EU and with a corporation tax rate of just 9% - is forecast to grow by 2.1% in 2023, so below the 2.5% government target for here in the UK. However, Ireland's 2023 growth projection is 3.9% and they have a 12.5% CT rate.

Low tax rates by themselves won't ensure growth, especially when there is a labour shortage. 8 in 10 UK businesses looking to recruit are having problems sourcing labour.

Yup. Ireland and Hungary have unrestricted access to the huge EU workforce. We don’t.

What is the point in having a low corporation tax rate to attract investment in the UK if you don’t have enough people to fill the potential jobs that will result from the massive sort of investment you are trying to pull in?

I suppose the bloody Anti-Growth-Coalition will recommend we join the European Single Market in a similar way to other non-EU countries such as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway & Switzerland. But that’s ‘bad’ growth.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For as long as we remain out of the single market our economy will continue to shrink. There is a reason sensible people didn’t wish to leave.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Well maybe, just maybe, we shoudn't have been cutting taxes at this particular point in time

The UK government doesnt have to "borrow" anything to pay for public services as it is the issuer of the pound. Taxes are there to ensure a demand for the currency and amongst other things, depending on the political flavour of the government, ensure equity, and to promote other desirible behaviour - e.g. tax on cigarettes and alcohol. Taxes are not required for funding public expenditure.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am not sure quite how it works, but I am pretty sure UK Government has subsidised the costs of Wind power in the past, to ensure they got built. Maybe there is already a payback going on, but if there isnt that would be my first port of call. Then there is the war we taxpayers are in part funding the continuation of too, which is a large part of the Gas shortages driving the price up. It seems fair to me that the producers getting record profits from the war we are funding should face some additional tax on the excess profits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here