Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It baffles me how any politician could be such a terrible public speaker as the Trusster****. With presentation like that she couldn't even get in a sixth form debating society.

Public speaking is something that can be learnt. Perhaps her arrogance has prevented her from seeking tuition. Why has nobody told her to knock that ridiculous gurning on the head. It is awful. The pace, the structure, the punctuation, the pitch, the intonation are all completely wrong.

To think of her representing our country on the world stage makes me shudder.

If you can't do public speaking then I would suggest politics is not really the career for you.

Obviously it would be so much better if she had the sense of confidence / arrogance / entitlement gained from a public school education... but hey, she is just the first UK Prime Minister from a bog standard comprehensive school, so what do you expect?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Obviously it would be so much better if she had the sense of confidence / arrogance / entitlement gained from a public school education... but hey, she is just the first UK Prime Minister from a bog standard comprehensive school, so what do you expect?

So only people who went to a private school don't sound like a malfunctioning robot while speaking publicly?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Gordon Brown and Theresa May both went to comprehensives, and John Major, Lloyd George, Harold Wilson, Edward Heath, James Callaghan, and Margaret Thatcher all went to non-fee paying schools.

Liz Truss claimed she’s the only Prime Minister to have gone to a comprehensive school – she isn’t

https://www.indy100.com/politics/liz-truss-comprehensive-school

You don't want to go believing everything Liz tells you :wink:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
TM and GB both went to selective grammar schools.

I didn't even know she had said it - I haven't listened to her party conference speech.

And nothing has changed my view of 21/07.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I didn't even know she had said it - I haven't listened to her party conference speech.

It's nit picking, but the Indy report suggests May's school became Comprehensive while she was there.

It's the least of the things she's said that I'm bothered about though. Slightly more worried about needing to feed the kids dust and heat the house with a candle by February.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

TM's school went comprehensive when she was there (GB's also changed ... but not until after he'd left it). Interestingly, Starmer's changed the other way: it was a state school when he was there and then went independent.

What is bizarre though is that it's quite a meaningless boast as there haven't been many PMs young enough to go to comprehensive -only the three before her (and as we've just established, one did).

If comprehensives had existed 200 years previously, MacDonald, Lloyd George, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher and Major would certainly have gone to comprehensives too (possibly Heath, although Kent kept its grammar schools)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I went to 'a selective grammar school' because it was what happened when you took the 11+ before comprehensive schools became common place. Given Theresa May and Gordon Brown are both older than me (you can probably see where I'm going with this :lolol:)

*edit* I see Gwylan got there before me

So, of the four prime ministers young enough to actually go to comprehensive schools, Truss and May did, Johnson and Cameron went to Eton :shrug:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I went to 'a selective grammar school' because it was what happened when you took the 11+ before comprehensive schools became common place. Given Theresa May and Gordon Brown are both older than me (you can probably see where I'm going with this :lolol:)

So, of the four prime ministers young enough to actually go to comprehensive schools, Truss and May did, Johnson and Cameron went to Eaton :shrug:

Shirley Knott?

Shirl.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So, of the four prime ministers young enough to actually go to comprehensive schools, Truss and May did, Johnson and Cameron went to Eton :shrug:

Comps were introduced by Labour in 1965 so Blair would have been young enough as he was 12 then. He didn't but he could have done.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Comps were introduced by Labour in 1965 so Blair would have been young enough as he was 12 then. He didn't but he could have done.

I think it took years to roll out. At my school the first year (11 year olds) only went comprehensive in 1976, the year I left, so 1982 before the whole school was comprehensive ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it took years to roll out. At my school the first year (11 year olds) only went comprehensive in 1976, the year I left, so 1982 before the whole school was comprehensive ???

Indeed. I went to Comprehensive in Hove in 1983. Still lots of ex Grammar School teachers and books on site.

In other news, "it" has begun. Text from mate today to say that if mortgages and inflation are what he thinks they will be he won't be able to afford going to football in the new year. I wonder how the club will deal with people who default on DD because they are buying heating, housing and eating? Sometimes people wonder why there are politics threads on here because, as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, one zealot is never going to change the mind of another. But this is why. In three weeks flat at least one working man has decided he can't go to football any more because of the incompetent leadership of this country. He won't be the last.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not that long. New schools were being built in the 60s and 70s - and all the new ones were comprehensive from the start (though they still segregated pupils by ability - at least the ones that I knew did).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry

I’m assuming this is said in light-hearted jest. 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here