NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep.

The absolute snobbery around flats that drips from the OP seems to have passed some normally sensible NSCers by.

I lived in three separate flats in the past and all were great location wise. One shared with a dear mate and two with the now Mrs GB. We also brought our son up in a maisonette. Every single one was noisy because that’s what they are. You don’t get to live in a farmhouse because you have sensitive hearing.

If I’d had enough money to afford a 3 bed 2 bath one in central Hove I’d have probably have opted for a large semi in the suburbs instead. But then I have 2 kids and a dog and no need to show off about where I live
OK. Bang to rights. Booo. BOOO!

Get in the sea @Live by the sea, you first-world-problem-victim, er, you.

And that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep.

The absolute snobbery around flats that drips from the OP seems to have passed some normally sensible NSCers by.

I lived in three separate flats in the past and all were great location wise. One shared with a dear mate and two with the now Mrs GB. We also brought our son up in a maisonette. Every single one was noisy because that’s what they are. You don’t get to live in a farmhouse because you have sensitive hearing.

If I’d had enough money to afford a 3 bed 2 bath one in central Hove I’d have probably have opted for a large semi in the suburbs instead. But then I have 2 kids and a dog and no need to show off about where I live
Kind of with you on this. Got sent to Jersey to live early in my career, ended up in a bank house with about 18 others. The noise from the girl next door through the very thin walls (an eclectic mix of a Tina Turner obsession and very noisy sex, sometimes together….’simply the best’ is ingrained on my memory) was more entertaining than annoying. It was the same throughout the house….endless stories of what had been heard and subsequent pisstaking

If I had to put up with it now, I would literally kill somebody however

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
1669497508253.jpeg

These are great. ‘Violent f***ing’ included.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Kind of with you on this. Got sent to Jersey to live early in my career, ended up in a bank house with about 18 others. The noise from the girl next door through the very thin walls (an eclectic mix of a Tina Turner obsession and very noisy sex, sometimes together….’simply the best’ is ingrained on my memory) was more entertaining than annoying. It was the same throughout the house….endless stories of what had been heard and subsequent pisstaking

If I had to put up with it now, I would literally kill somebody however
Absolutely. You’d think a successful New Yorker would know that though 🤷‍♂️

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The only flat I rented was opposite the Station Hotel pub (handy :drink:) at the bottom of Hampstead Road. At the bottom of my tiny garden was the main railway lines into and out of Brighton. Our ornaments rattled when the carriages went by. The main noise problem was the aggregate wagons that past over a set of points in the early hours. It nearly knocked us out of bed some mornings🙄
In the opening post some of the 1930s blocks in Hove are mentioned including Courtenay Gate, have you worked in any of these?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Just a point about sound proofing in modern flats. I live in a new build (9 years old) flat. The sound proofing is brilliant. Don’t hear anything from our neighbours. Close the windows and you can’t hear the building site for the phases of the development that followed ours.

It is a tall block so the floor slabs are probably thick concrete to provide the 2 hour fire resistance required and perhaps that helps with noise.

We have had other issues (combustible cladding*, badly installed shower tray leaking, water ingress) but sound insulation is very good.

*an absolute fucker of an issue, but I’m sure there’s already a thread on that

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just a point about sound proofing in modern flats. I live in a new build (9 years old) flat. The sound proofing is brilliant. Don’t hear anything from our neighbours. Close the windows and you can’t hear the building site for the phases of the development that followed ours.

It is a tall block so the floor slabs are probably thick concrete to provide the 2 hour fire resistance required and perhaps that helps with noise.

We have had other issues (combustible cladding*, badly installed shower tray leaking, water ingress) but sound insulation is very good.

….or wait until your in your late 50s, then you wouldn’t hear AC/DC rehearsing next door anyway 🤷‍♂️😂

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I worked in Brighton planning dept in the late 80s - early 90s when lots of flat conversions got permission. We were prevented by national law and policy to insist on soundproofing between flats. We tried to change local policy like some London boroughs were trying to do but it was an uphill struggle.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

That's interesting as mine was built in 2007 and the sound insulation is poor in a sideways direction with loads of noise also easily heard from outside (car doors slamming etc). It's only a block of 4 small flats though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The OP has bought and moved into a flat right? So what makes you say they're being snobby towards flats?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's interesting as mine was built in 2007 and the sound insulation is poor in a sideways direction with loads of noise also easily heard from outside (car doors slamming etc). It's only a block of 4 small flats though.
There were soundproofing regs in 2007. Not just between flats, but also within each property too. But the regs were reasonably new, and a lot of builders skimped on the soundproofing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The noisiest place I’ve lived in was a 1930s semi detached house. That was down to the neighbours weekly parties and coming home after a night out and insisting on putting on loud music. Plus the mum used to swear loudly at her 3 year old daughter. We talking the C word here. Lived in loads of flats and never had a problem. In fact the only noise I’ve experienced was when living as a student in Montpelier Road. The people below were part of The Christian Union and would sing a load of church stuff every Sunday night- but that would finish quite early. My son has a flat in the centre of Brighton but he was sensible to buy at the top so no noise from above. At the end of the day it’s who lives around you not the actual property.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
These friends all live in older blocks of flats , namely Courtney gate , 4 grand Ave and Wilbury grange . After doing some research it appears these blocks were all built around 1930 give or take and as a result they were all built with thick concrete walls & floors .
This is why when you move to an apartment, you move to a thick rather than a flat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here