Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Living in a flat

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I once lived in a maisonette in Wigan. To begin with it was ok(ish) -aka very cheap - as whoever lived above was rarely there. However when she moved out and some young kid moved in who had several very dodgy mates, things went downhill rapidly. There was no insulation, probably no carpets, and their taste in music at 2.30am was very loud and dreadful. The amount of spend reefers littering the place didn't help either. I was supposed to be working and the sleep depravation didn't help at all.

I moved out in the end when my flat was robbed, and very strangely - nobody saw or heard a thing. I always suspected that half of my stuff was secreted upstairs, but the plod didn't want to know.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think you've taken the OP's issues and turned them into the big issues you seem to have previously had. His won't be the same.

You just have to look at the OP's opening lines. "I got offered a good price & I felt it was sensible to bank a decent amount of money" great location... Blah, blah, blah- I've got lots of money, now feel sorry for my minor problem.

He can use his vast wealth to buy some egg boxes and line his flat. Or live in one of his other rooms.
:lolol:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Can we just confirm how many fingers you have? :hilton:
Only 2 tonight sadly - I probably shouldn’t have but I saved them to feed the trolls 🙂
531FC503-ADBB-4245-95EE-C7D876DE4DC4.jpeg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm thinking of drilling a few holes and pumping the floor with expanding foam..

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I think you've taken the OP's issues and turned them into the big issues you seem to have previously had. His won't be the same.

You just have to look at the OP's opening lines. "I got offered a good price & I felt it was sensible to bank a decent amount of money" great location... Blah, blah, blah- I've got lots of money, now feel sorry for my minor problem.

He can use his vast wealth to buy some egg boxes and line his flat. Or live in one of his other rooms.

Is there a VIP lane for eggs?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I once lived in a maisonette in Wigan. To begin with it was ok(ish) -aka very cheap - as whoever lived above was rarely there. However when she moved out and some young kid moved in who had several very dodgy mates, things went downhill rapidly. There was no insulation, probably no carpets, and their taste in music at 2.30am was very loud and dreadful. The amount of spend reefers littering the place didn't help either. I was supposed to be working and the sleep depravation didn't help at all.

I moved out in the end when my flat was robbed, and very strangely - nobody saw or heard a thing. I always suspected that half of my stuff was secreted upstairs, but the plod didn't want to know.
My first flat (shared, rented room) was purpose built concrete, solid . . .never heard anything from anyone . . . But we did get complaints. To be fair we were 17-18 and pissed/stoned listening to soul/ska/hendrix etc loudly and late

My first flat, maisonette actually . . ( purchased ) had its lounge in the roof/loft. bedroomes etc on 1st floor . . . Fortunately the neighbours were 1 house ~(unused loft) and a holiday flat. We got away with everything and anything. Full band practice, regularly, and once with a 3 piece brass section.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm thinking of drilling a few holes and pumping the floor with expanding foam..
Can you not just dangle a hamburger outside her front door and then lock her out when she goes for the bait?

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
When I was renting in Brighton in my earlier years I lived in Osprey house (I think it was called) near the bottom of Montpellier road. The walls between flats were thinner than the wall between our lounge and bedroom.
We had lots of noise complaints.
Montpellier apartments where I lived later was much better but weren’t really flats I guess.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
No, primarily about sharing similar experiences and offering constructive input in to how it can be resolved - How about repeatedly attacking the OP and wanting to make an entire thread about the history of the OP and his privileged background - which is less helpful ? - 🙄

BTW - Feel free to access my user account details - I dont use a VPN so it will be easy to see I am based in Norfolk - I doubt there will many/any others in my location. It shouldn’t be hard to rule out the possibility I have several accounts or have been a member in the past.
That’s fine. As a new user can I recommend a quick cultural training course? Do a search for a user called “Vagabond” (not banned) and then just try not to post like him, as he was an absolute fuckwit who derailed multiple threads, made every thread about him, posted more often than Katie Price gets her keks off and ultimately stalked off like a six year old girl.

Don’t do all that and you’ll be fine :thumbsup:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Don’t do all that and you’ll be fine :thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice - no worries - sleep deprivation caused either directly or indirectly from noise disturbance is an issue that can affect people deeply so whether someone is a fcukwit or not, it’s not something I’d wish on my worst enemy so apologies if I overstepped the responses.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I've always lived in a flat, but I can't understand why the OP doesn't embrace the human contact that it entails. Many's the time I have been laying, sobbing, at the lack of a lovely house, but I gain comfort from the sounds of real folk around me, making whoopee and getting on with life.
(This is such a sad thread, tbh.)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Had a flat in Hamilton Rd BN1. Bought it around 98 I think. Loved it, great neighbours, no worries. Then the great neighbours all sold to "buy to let" merchants, and I found myself surrounded by students. Several confrontations over noise late at night, early hours. Some fisticuffs in the street with several of the smelly fuckers. Too stressful, so moved out of Brighton & bought a bigger better flat on Shoreham Beach. Great in the summer, but very isolated. Liked it though, apart from the hidden costs that kept coming for "maintenance".
Then, met wife, had a kid, bought a house, and wondered how I ever survived in a flat!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've always lived in a flat, but I can't understand why the OP doesn't embrace the human contact that it entails. Many's the time I have been laying, sobbing, at the lack of a lovely house, but I gain comfort from the sounds of real folk around me, making whoopee and getting on with life.
(This is such a sad thread, tbh.)
Yep.

The absolute snobbery around flats that drips from the OP seems to have passed some normally sensible NSCers by.

I lived in three separate flats in the past and all were great location wise. One shared with a dear mate and two with the now Mrs GB. We also brought our son up in a maisonette. Every single one was noisy because that’s what they are. You don’t get to live in a farmhouse because you have sensitive hearing.

If I’d had enough money to afford a 3 bed 2 bath one in central Hove I’d have probably have opted for a large semi in the suburbs instead. But then I have 2 kids and a dog and no need to show off about where I live

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The only flat I rented was opposite the Station Hotel pub (handy :drink:) at the bottom of Hampstead Road. At the bottom of my tiny garden was the main railway lines into and out of Brighton. Our ornaments rattled when the carriages went by. The main noise problem was the aggregate wagons that past over a set of points in the early hours. It nearly knocked us out of bed some mornings🙄

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Final word.....It could be worse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here