[Albion] Liverpool vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When we got promoted these were the games I was looking forward to. Today we are competing, yes we’ll almost certainly lose. In the last two seasons we have played like a lower league team in the cup in these games. I have much much lower expectations of Albion than so many of you.

I am loving this game....so far!

You were right Dunk on second. Webster first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
First up on MOTD as it happens.

Nevermind whether Webster should have done better on the first goal what about the free kick that led to it? The Gross tackle clearly got the ball? And how about a bit more love for the genius of the Dunk free kick. They totally glossed over it yet had that been one of the ' big club' stars they would have been creaming themselves over the quick thinking audacity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have been saying for ages that for man who is 6ft 5in Dunk does not win enough balls in the air but I think the one today was more about VVD movement to pull away from Dunk. We seriously need to get some practice in at Lancing with crosses into the box.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
First up on MOTD as it happens.

Nevermind whether Webster should have done better on the first goal what about the free kick that led to it? The Gross tackle clearly got the ball? And how about a bit more love for the genius of the Dunk free kick. They totally glossed over it yet had that been one of the ' big club' stars they would have been creaming themselves over the quick thinking audacity.

The bigger issue was the foul on Connolly on the first......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have been saying for ages that for man who is 6ft 5in Dunk does not win enough balls in the air but I think the one today was more about VVD movement to pull away from Dunk. We seriously need to get some practice in at Lancing with crosses into the box.

Where is Burn on set pieces? You’d think he’d be more of a presence.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

VVD world class

As a side note not often none of Liverpool’s infamous front three don’t score and that two centre backs are responsible for the goals

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As you mention it I will point out that Kayal has started 2 times for Charlton and 4 sub appearances in The Championship so hardly a player that we need in The Premier so perhaps my view has been vindicated.

As regards Webster I really hope that he reaches the same status as Dunk and becomes an automatic first choice. To quote the stream ' 18 months ago he was playing in Div 2 and showed that perhaps he wasnt ready for the step up.' I think that GP should take some of the blame for both goals as the obvious man to be marking VVD is our tallest man Burn but as the stream pointed out, today was the first time this season that we have conceded from a corner. and did it twice,

Kayal is, and has been, injured. Currently out with a groin strain. Your view is not, therefore, vindicated.

You’ve posted relentlessly negative views on Webster....who is a dozen games into his PL career.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

The Oracle has spoken.
Time for bed :yawn:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Kayal is, and has been, injured. Currently out with a groin strain. Your view is not, therefore, vindicated.

You’ve posted relentlessly negative views on Webster....who is a dozen games into his PL career.

Wouldnt have solved our problems either being injured or loss of form. We have made a great improvement by signing Mooy on loan.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Wouldnt have solved our problems either being injured or loss of form. We have made a great improvement by signing Mooy on loan.

Mooy was arguably Huddersfield's best player last season - that's not saying much as they were bad. The expectation was that they would be able to bounce back - but that is unlikely to happen. He will probably be available at the end of the season. Now - he does a job - but he has all the hallmarks of a journeyman pro who will likely bounce around between clubs in and around the relegation zone for the rest of his career. There are quite a few players like this - including several who get relegated only to return to the PL to the next relegation candidate.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Second up on MOTD, I hear. Wonder what they'll show - my guesses:
* Liverpool' goals, with build up and analysis;
* A couple of Liverpool misses to emphasise the fact that they could have scored shedloads;
* A couple of Ryan's saves (same reason as above);
* A few excellent runs and crosses from Alexander-Arnold and Robertson;
* Maybe one of Dunk's headers that didn't score;
* The sending off, with due sympathy for Atkinson not having a choice;
* ....and finally, right at the very end, Brighton's lucky (and slightly deceitful) consolation goal.
Hmmm ........ not far wrong then! Though Neville did say that we played very well - at which point I can imagine Spence's boot going through his tele! Look out for him queuing at Argos first thing in the morning!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Steve Wilson: Graham Potter's new deal at Brighton - taking him through to 2025 - is a reflection of the success he's had in changing the Seagulls' style as much as it's a measure of the points they've won. That tally stands at 15, exactly the same as last season under Chris Hughton.

Liverpool will expect three points - but will want more. Wednesday's draw with Napoli was the 11th consecutive match in which they have conceded, while the only Premier League game they have won by more than one goal since mid-September was against Manchester City.

Jurgen Klopp would love to see his side keep a clean sheet and rattle in a few goals at the other end. Brighton have sometimes helped Liverpool in this regard; four of the 19 goals Liverpool have scored against them in the last six meetings have been own goals.

At least we only let them have three points.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
This day has now spiralled out of control, a young lady asked me if I wanted her seat on the tube FFS

I’ve had the couple of times on Albion park n rides, I’m not an oldie .... soul destroying.

:lol:
I saw a nice young lad jump up to give a grey haired gentleman his seat once. Thing was, I could see from where I was sitting the guy wasn't old at all, was just a bit Ravanelli. In a second, you could see shock, disappointment and then resignation play over his face as he took the seat.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

lets face it ....Virgil is a world class player and both his goals were classic headers from very good crosses.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yeah but what about the 6ft 3.5 inch Dunk which is what his 1.92m equates to?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
VVD world class

As a side note not often none of Liverpool’s infamous front three don’t score and that two centre backs are responsible for the goals

Very good point, and an undoubted plus, but for me that just makes the manner of the goals more frustrating.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
lets face it ....Virgil is a world class player and both his goals were classic headers from very good crosses.

That’s it. Sometimes you do have to give credit to the opposition rather than criticising your own players.

TAA is one of the best crosser’s of the ball in the world today and VVD is the THE best centre back in the world. Very difficult for any team to defend against quality like that. I don’t think any other defence in the premier league and probably even Europe would have done much better.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Very true, the feed I was watching yesterday said they were the first headed goals we had conceded this season too. If that’s true it’s taken a world class combination to achieve that.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That’s it. Sometimes you do have to give credit to the opposition rather than criticising your own players.

TAA is one of the best crosser’s of the ball in the world today and VVD is the THE best centre back in the world. Very difficult for any team to defend against quality like that. I don’t think any other defence in the premier league and probably even Europe would have done much better.

This exactly, even Phylis snivell and Alan Sheepsheer on the comedy soccer show said the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports