Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool Football Club ban Sun journalists

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good on 'em, even if a little overdue.

As football fans we should support this stance. A tragedy like this could of happened to any club who bought big followings.

They were Liverpool fans, but more importantly they were football fans. The Sun preyed on the reputation of club hooliganism during those times, and used it to whip up further anti-football fan hysteria. The victims were used in an attempt to shape public perception of the average football fan.

Disgraceful reporting from the Sun. They should never be forgiven.

This in spades. For years and years, I'd taken the view that Liverpool fans were at least partly to blame because of what we had been told by the police and of course the reporting at the time. Turns out it was all a pack of lies. People should have gone to jail for lying about Hillsborough. It was the major factor in getting rid of terracing and gave the authorities carte blanche to police us fans with the utmost prejudice.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Slightly similar to those Albion supporters that still refuse to shop at the Goldstone Retail Park. How long do you hold a grudge.

Forever. I literally go out of way to avoid even driving past the place. Then I can pretend its still there.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Very much this. Seems a really bizarre decision and so long afterwards.

Almost feels like they are trying to get the fans on side after a dodgey few weeks/months of performances.

Don;t get me wrong it was a disgusting way to report and I completely understand the hatred but cannot understand banning them after this amount of time

Agreed.

I personally have a gross disliking for The Sun and find the ban most pleasing.

But I do wonder how, all these years later, Liverpool FC come to this conclusion and whether it was an independent decision without outside influence.

Still. The Sun is no wiser a newspaper now. Better late than never.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Agreed.

I personally have a gross disliking for The Sun and find the ban most pleasing.

But I do wonder how, all these years later, Liverpool FC come to this conclusion and whether it was an independent decision without outside influence.

Still. The Sun is no wiser a newspaper now. Better late than never.

Guardian

Liverpool were approached by the campaign, then discussed with families the possibility of withdrawing accreditation from the paper. The families are understood to have said that they did not believe the Sun should be given access to the club, which was supported by all the 96 people who died, given the damage its coverage did. The decision to ban the paper was taken on Thursday night.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Yes owned since the late 60's. Tragic as Hillsborough was, at some point they have to move on

Perhaps the extensive and elongated lies, cover up and subsequent outcome have slightly inhibited the potential for those closely involved to 'move on' and if they had done sooner the truth may never have been known. What do you reckon?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slightly similar to those Albion supporters that still refuse to shop at the Goldstone Retail Park. How long do you hold a grudge.

Bollocks. First it is a personal choice - I don't make a song and dance about it. Second, the retail park owners did not accuse me and mine of robbing and unrinating on the dead. Get a ****ing grip!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The quote that Clipped Gull took from the Guardian is key for me. The families actively canvassed Liverpool FC and the families of all of the 96 that died 28 years ago all pushed for the decision.

Ultimately, anything that provides any source of comfort to those families or gives them any peace of mind after their ordeals over all these years has to be respected.

It is unfortunate for the football hacks who have little or no input over their employer's editorial policies that they are going to be the ones who will ultimately be inconvenienced the most by this ban. However, I suppose the argument is that they might choose their paymasters better.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I guess it's the same logic that's driving all of the trials for celebrity sexual predators. You know, because what they did was wrong and late is better than never.

Nowhere near the same logic. The Sun journos who wrote those lies are long gone.Those celebrity rapists and abusers of women/children must face justice whenever they are caught.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Nowhere near the same logic. The Sun journos who wrote those lies are long gone.Those celebrity rapists and abusers of women/children must face justice whenever they are caught.

The circumstances are different, but the logic is the same. Sun reader by any chance?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Never had time for the sun, wouldn't even give it the courtesy of a capital S as a proper noun. But I don't support this either way so if that's what the families wanted then so be it. All I would add is that it seems they're raging against a shapeless form. The culprits are long gone, it's like protesting outside an empty building.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ha ha! Not for many years.

But to link journos, now or then, with child rapists.Just wow.

Sensationalising and the blaming the deaths of 96 people on the very people that were there in a way that can only be described as disgusting and sickening is, in my book, absolutely vile. Liverpool should have stopped the Sun having anything to do with their club years ago. That it's happened years after doesn't matter. What that vile rag did was disgusting. So whilst the scenario and circumstances are different, the end result and the relative nature of what was done wrong still applies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here