Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool Football Club ban Sun journalists

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
They can't do much about the Sky cameras as they are contracted to allow them in under PL rules. However, I completely agree with them not letting Sun reporters in - I am sure the current crop are nice people but it's the paper and what it represents to the city of Liverpool that is the issue. If the result of a meeting with the owners and families resulted in this ban, then good for them.
............ and it's nothing like the loss of the Goldstone - at least nobody died there. (although Bellotti may have done at the time if the crowd had got to him)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I believe the Sun has not been sold in newsagents etc in the area for years. I suppose now the verdict is out in the open the club feel they are justified to ban it now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah it's weird but Newsagents still refuse to stock the Sun and even advertise that fact, in and around Liverpool. Long memories up that way

Admirable, not weird. I've changed my view on scousers over the past 10 years or so. I have a lot of time for them and they're a dead friendly, decent upbeat bunch of people. They made me and my mates very welcome when we played them in the cup. More so than most cities. If they want to do this it's fine with me.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's not a massive story, they've renewed the ban, it's not new. They've renewed it after the recent coverage of Hillsborough. If you've ever been to a football match you would be behind them.
And it's a ban of The Sun, not Murdoch.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I think they have done the right thing, especially as the families of the victims wanted this.

The families have listened to their loved ones being smeared, lies told and that famous sun headline which blamed them for everything. It's very easy to say 'move on' but if my son or daughter had been at hillsbrough and I had to put up with everything they had I couldn't just 'move on'.

Now that the verdict is out I agree that they are making a stand against the sun as best as they can.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Saints were South Coast Club,wonder what LFC will be?Underperformers FC?

Coincidentally, Southampton used to allow only the Sun reporter to speak to players after their matches on the grounds that the Currant Bun was a Premier League rights holder. But now that that deal has apparently lapsed they refused to let any print journalists speak to players from either team after last weekend's game against West Ham. They are the only Premier League club that behaves in this way.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think they have done the right thing, especially as the families of the victims wanted this.

The families have listened to their loved ones being smeared, lies told and that famous sun headline which blamed them for everything. It's very easy to say 'move on' but if my son or daughter had been at hillsbrough and I had to put up with everything they had I couldn't just 'move on'.

Now that the verdict is out I agree that they are making a stand against the sun as best as they can.

Very much this. Put yourself in their position and imagine the pain, suffering and frustration they've endured over the years and it's easy to understand the decision. If it had happened to our club we would feel just as strongly about the travesty.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Very much this. Seems a really bizarre decision and so long afterwards.

Almost feels like they are trying to get the fans on side after a dodgey few weeks/months of performances.

Don;t get me wrong it was a disgusting way to report and I completely understand the hatred but cannot understand banning them after this amount of time

I guess it's the same logic that's driving all of the trials for celebrity sexual predators. You know, because what they did was wrong and late is better than never.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Admirable, not weird. I've changed my view on scousers over the past 10 years or so. I have a lot of time for them and they're a dead friendly, decent upbeat bunch of people. They made me and my mates very welcome when we played them in the cup. More so than most cities. If they want to do this it's fine with me.

Spot on. I have been to many games at Anfield as a guest of some Scouse friends and they are a very funny, football mad and welcoming bunch.

What happened to their club is one of the biggest cover ups in British history, one that brought unnecessary pain and suffering, if this action helps them even just a little then good for them in making this stand.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Is there likely to be anyone still anyone working at The Sun that was involved in the reporting of Hillsborough? How many editors in the meantime, thought it was mainly all down to McKenzie?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is there likely to be anyone still anyone working at The Sun that was involved in the reporting of Hillsborough? How many editors in the meantime, thought it was mainly all down to McKenzie?

How many of them have refused to print a proper apology?

C

CT1

Good on 'em, even if a little overdue.

As football fans we should support this stance. A tragedy like this could of happened to any club who bought big followings.

They were Liverpool fans, but more importantly they were football fans. The Sun preyed on the reputation of club hooliganism during those times, and used it to whip up further anti-football fan hysteria. The victims were used in an attempt to shape public perception of the average football fan.

Disgraceful reporting from the Sun. They should never be forgiven.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I boycotted The Sun the day they got rid of the Tits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here