[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Ian Holloway has just said that the "European Super League is a betrayal to the memory of Prince Philip".

Fantastic.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
BT Sport have paid £1.2 billion for a deal to show the Champions League in the UK until 2024. I suspect they may be apoplectic at the possibility that they may be paying nearly £400 million a year for a product that they can show in England that has none of England's big six in it. I suspect that they'll be thinking about suing Uefa. Just one of the countless law suits that this will spark.

Although it's quite likely that four of the "Big 6" wouldn't be in it next year anyway...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel, the only manager of one of England's 'big six' joining the ESL to speak so far, said he "trusts the club to make the right decisions".

"I've know since yesterday but I am here to be in the hardest competition, it's why I came here to play the toughest competitions," he said.

"I am part of this club and I trust this club to make the right decisions. I think it's too early to judge everything and it's not my part. On my badge it says that everyone has to play their role. My role is to coach, be focused, and we've another game tomorrow."

Weasel.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That statement would seem to be the very definition of "mealy mouthed". It's a shame I don't have a subscription to cancel.

It's a terrible piece of fence-sitting PR puff.

But the definition of 'mealy mouthed' to me was Gary Lineker on five live earlier. I wonder if someone has had words after the reactions from the pundits on MoTD last night.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Who will officiate these games? Will the ESL tempt top officials away from their respective leagues, if so then they will be blacklisted as well.

If they want Mike Dean, I'll drive him there myself...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I see UEFA are delaying the announcement regarding the venues for Euro 2020....saying three possible venues may be excluded. Well, there's one venue in England, one in Spain, and one in Italy. I wonder if it's those three...?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I see UEFA are delaying the announcement regarding the venues for Euro 2020....saying three possible venues may be excluded. Well, there's one venue in England, one in Spain, and one in Italy. I wonder if it's those three...?

weird though as the 3 in question are Wembley (no club side), Bilbao (Athletic are not linked with the circle jerk league) and Rome (Lazio/Roma also aren't linked)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Doubt it - given Wembley at least is one of the best placed to host games.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
weird though as the 3 in question are Wembley (no club side), Bilbao (Athletic are not linked with the circle jerk league) and Rome (Lazio/Roma also aren't linked)

Yes - it could be a case of 2+2=5, but UEFA seem to be really wound up about this (rightly), and are probably looking at ALL options for sending immediate messages to all and sundry about the consequences of this.

I also read that local councils in England could withdraw the rights of clubs to use geographical names...so Liverpool, for example, would have to get a new name to play in the ESL. That would be funny!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Testify

[tweet]1384139758402641925[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

It would be a bit weird. Wembley, Stadio Olimpico and San Mames got no relation to the 12 clubs.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
yeah im kinda enjoying this. We all sit in a place of luxury really. I'd hate to be a supporter of a 'big 6' club with a foreign owner who has little interest in the fans. We are very very fortunate.

feel for the genuine fans of those clubs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm assuming it's already been mentioned but "The Other 14" are having a meeting tomorrow.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Introduce a salary cap based on new tv deal without the franchise 6. Football will become affordable, the fans more important re merchandise etc. Franchise bods won’t play ball. They are left with just european friends. Sorted.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
UEFA's Champions League isnt just going to concede and disappear so how would this ever logistically work. A team cant compete in both midweek games for ESL and CL. If a team finishes top 4 of the PL so then qualifies for the CL, but doesnt take up their place because they want to focus on the ESL does that mean teams 5 to 8 in the Prem have the chance of taking up the CL places. There is no way the organisations will be able to agree on how this could work. The only outcome is that either this all gets scrapped or teams leave the Prem entirely to play in the ESL.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This cannot and must not be allowed to happen!

Without the involvement of Leeds United, otherwise it is totally meaningless.
Leeds fans must be in a state of total bewilderment that they are not leading the charge on this league.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do you watch any football on TV?
I agree with you about the concept.

MOTD, FA cup and some England qualifiers, whatever is on terrestrial TBH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports