Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea will likely be banned from this season’s Champions League semi-finals, UEFA executive committee member Jesper Moller told broadcaster DR on Monday.

“The clubs must go, and I expect that to happen on Friday. Then we have to find out how to finish (this season’s) Champions League tournament,” said Moller, who is the head of the Danish FA. “There is an extraordinary executive committee meeting on Friday.”"

Now that would be something...

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
They want to have it all ways. To retain their bread and butter of the Premier League and skim off all the profit of lucrative European football.
I hope that EUFA and FIFA play hardball and stick to No involvement in domestic league, and ban their players from World Cup.
We are better off without them. I am not so bothered about kids in Manchester, I would rather kids in Brighton see their team competing competitively in a domestic league
I am sure people will still support England even without Kane, Sterling and co.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can they stop player signings between the SUPER league and us riff raff?

I was thinking about this earlier actually.

Quite a few leagues have buy out clauses, so a player can just buy himself out

If you are banning xyz from playing international football, there is absolutely no need to follow transfer rules of registering players etc, so I don’t think they could.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
"Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea will likely be banned from this season’s Champions League semi-finals, UEFA executive committee member Jesper Moller told broadcaster DR on Monday.

“The clubs must go, and I expect that to happen on Friday. Then we have to find out how to finish (this season’s) Champions League tournament,” said Moller, who is the head of the Danish FA. “There is an extraordinary executive committee meeting on Friday.”"

Borussia Dortmund, Porto, Bayern Munich and PSG were the others in the last eight.

So it's a simple equation. They contest the semi finals.

Interestingly, all four tuned down the Super League.

I'd be happy to see them.

Slavia and Granada through to the Europa League semi finals.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
That's shortsighted.

Not sure how old you are but I like many remember the likes of Aston Villa, Leeds, Everton, Newcastle, Nottingham Forest and Derby being far far better than Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham (hahahaha) and Arsenal. Let them go and these clubs will take over the mantel, all have far more heritage, won more and all have great fanbases.

Give it a few years and these pricks will be forgotten.

Ban them now, today.

Tonight Leeds and Tomorrow Brighton should just sit down the moment the whistle is blown for the the start of the game.

But unless they have the best players in the world, the TV money won't be there.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Government vow to do anything and everything possible to stop this from happening.

I was thinking earlier about this. They could pass legislation. But it may take too long.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But unless they have the best players in the world, the TV money won't be there.

The EPL doesn't have the best players in the world yet it's supposedly the best league

NEXT

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I was thinking earlier about this. They could pass legislation. But it may take too long.

Almost certainly it will take too long. Oliver Dowden has said that the football authorities must try to deal with it first and they will support the PL and others in their bids to stop it, so we will see what happens after the PL meeting tomorrow.

Oh and they are bringing forward their fan led review of football ownership etc, but will not wait for the outcome of the review before acting in this particular matter.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Pep's dreams of the quadruple crumbling before his eyes...FA Cup on Saturday, now (hopefully) the Champions League. Would be rather nice if the EFL scrapped the League Cup final next weekend....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do you seriously think Sky etc will pay anywhere near the same amounts of money they do now without the six mentioned?

Overseas broadcasters will pay considerable amounts less as well.

So. Football just re-adjusts itself over time and salaries head downwards.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pep's dreams of the quadruple crumbling before his eyes...FA Cup on Saturday, now (hopefully) the Champions League. Would be rather nice if the EFL scrapped the League Cup final next weekend....

Or just present it to Brentford...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do you seriously think Sky etc will pay anywhere near the same amounts of money they do now without the six mentioned?

Overseas broadcasters will pay considerable amounts less as well.

Watching Spurs, REALLY?
Arsenal REALLY

Do me a favour

The Pricks are dead long live the Good guys.

Sky needs football as much as football needs them. They may not pay as much but good reality can set in and stop paying stupid wages. The well run clubs will come out of this.

Your cheats can foxtrot along

We remember

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m pretty sure the chairman who have ploughed millions in for stadiums/training grounds strongly disagree.

If any are stupid enough to have gambled on building stadiums or training grounds on future TV monies they may or may not get can disagree all they want

I reckon most PL chairman outside of the 'top 6' would be happy to be not held to ransom like they are now to agents and players who take most of the TV money anyway

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Watching Spurs, REALLY?
Arsenal REALLY

Do me a favour

The Pricks are dead long live the Good guys.

Sky needs football as much as football needs them. They may not pay as much but good reality can set in and stop paying stupid wages. The well run clubs will come out of this.

Your cheats can foxtrot along

We remember

So? SKY also won’t pay over the odds for a damaged good - if it ends up like that.

How about sponsors?

Overseas certainly won’t when the majority support Liverpool/United/Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here