Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live Music 2013

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I marginally prefer Audio but they are both pretty rubbish. I take exception to you suggesting the beer is more expensive at Audio. It's £4.50 for a can of lager @ The Haunt. I don't remember paying much over £4 for a pint the last time I was at Audio.

My tip for Audio is stand just in front of the mixing desk, good view from the stairs and the best place for the sound IMHO.

To be honest I don't remember when I last bought a drink at The Haunt but it was probably a can of spitfire. As for Audio I will try your tip however they don't seem to have live music there these days. Green Door and Albert both great.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Can't remember the last time I went out on two consequetive nights to see a band, especially in Brighton . Probably the 90's.
After last nights Meteors gig at the The Haunt, it's New Model Army tonight at the The Concorde .Probably last saw The Meteors in the 90's , but NMA defo 80's . Top Rank Suite .
Looking forward to this one . Still see themselves as current , so quite keen to hear what they doing now, as well as a smattering from their 80's output .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have not been to The Haunt for a year or so but I remember when it opened they were charging £4 for a warm tin of Red Stripe (with no other options), something equally silly for spirits and aggressivly searching people going in for what I can only presume was booze. I do not mind be patted down but searching me all over and my bag for concealed booze is taking the piss - I'm 45 FFS. The Haunt can do one.

I'm 44 but, beyond that, I agree with all of this, while adding the previous comments about the bottle-neck. Will have to be something really special to entice me there. Much rather go to Green Door Store or St George's Church

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just been announced- Toy at Bermuda Traingle 18th Dec supported by Traams. Tickets just £5.50 at Resident.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I have not been to The Haunt for a year or so but I remember when it opened they were charging £4 for a warm tin of Red Stripe (with no other options), something equally silly for spirits and aggressivly searching people going in for what I can only presume was booze. I do not mind be patted down but searching me all over and my bag for concealed booze is taking the piss - I'm 45 FFS. The Haunt can do one.

Unfortunatly , the type of bands I like, tend to play The Haunt , so I am stuck with it. Very annoying they do not have draft and it is very loud in there, therefore very difficult to ask the bar staff if they have anything other than lager .Last couple of weeks , I have ended up with bottles of Bulmers and the other night , bottles of Bishops Finger . Not too shabby , but they do not always seem to stock the same beverages. Small odd shaped club , but I find the sound really good and very loud , which is how it should be . Back there on the 04/12 for US Bombs . I wonder what they be serving that night ?

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Jason Isbell at Komedia was seats with tables as for the comedy stuff! v odd but suited the mellow vibes I guess

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That was a good weekend; Savages on Friday and Deap Vally last night. Whilst I enjoyed Savages they were not as intense as they were at Glastonbury; I really felt on-edge watching them on Worthy Farm. And Deap Vally can rock. I did have mixed feelings about them prior to the gig but they won me over. Bizarrely Frau Tubthumper spent the afternoon knitting with them. Yes, you did read that correctly, she spent the afternoon knitting with the band. She said they were fun to be around and very down to earth and have friends here in Berlin so whilst last night was the first time they have played here they know the city very well. I might post a picture of the missus and her balls of wool later.

Saturday is the last in what has turned out to be a 9 gig 5 week odyssey (did have tickets for 10 bands but Motorhead cancelled) which sees the arrival of @Pogue Mahone to Berlin and a Primal Scream gig on Saturday night.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
So Blur have cancelled on The Big Day Out, word this side is they wanted to swap slots with Arcade Fire, didn't get what the wanted so threw the proverbial toys out of the pram. If so, that's very poor show.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
That was a good weekend; Savages on Friday and Deap Vally last night. Whilst I enjoyed Savages they were not as intense as they were at Glastonbury; I really felt on-edge watching them on Worthy Farm. And Deap Vally can rock. I did have mixed feelings about them prior to the gig but they won me over. Bizarrely Frau Tubthumper spent the afternoon knitting with them. Yes, you did read that correctly, she spent the afternoon knitting with the band. She said they were fun to be around and very down to earth and have friends here in Berlin so whilst last night was the first time they have played here they know the city very well. I might post a picture of the missus and her balls of wool later.

Saturday is the last in what has turned out to be a 9 gig 5 week odyssey (did have tickets for 10 bands but Motorhead cancelled) which sees the arrival of @Pogue Mahone to Berlin and a Primal Scream gig on Saturday night.

Would love to see that photo! I did not get on with Deap Vally when I saw them at Great Escape but it was in NSCs favourite venue- The Haunt. Glad you had a better experience. As for your 10 band mini festival I am going to attempt to see a band every week next year. It probably won't happen and fail around March time but the concept is there. Won't be able to match Spring Hall Convert who is out every night going.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 31

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would love to see that photo! I did not get on with Deap Vally when I saw them at Great Escape but it was in NSCs favourite venue- The Haunt. Glad you had a better experience. As for your 10 band mini festival I am going to attempt to see a band every week next year. It probably won't happen and fail around March time but the concept is there. Won't be able to match Spring Hall Convert who is out every night going.

Good luck with your year long festival. Will you see 'on average' a band a week or literally one per week? The former is do-able, The Great Escape will buy you a few weeks. The latter will be hard core.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Won't be able to match Spring Hall Convert who is out every night going.

I've given up the booze and am finding other more productive ways of spending my (not so) hardearned.

As for 1 per week, that's a really good aim, you might struggle around Xmas/ New Year but otherwise, it should be doabale. Let me know if you come unstuck at some point, I reckon I know enough about what you like to give you some good directions on some gigs you may have missed.

On the subject of me gigging every night - Metz tomorrow night! Fingers crossed it won't be rammed (see previous concerns with the Haunt when it is full.) They absolutely tore Audio a new one earlier in the year. It's make or break night for The Wytches for me this evening (who are supporting) people have been raving about them to me but I've seen them 4 or 5 times already this year and I don't see it. I enjoyed them supporting Metz at the aforementioned gig in Jan but they've descended ever decreasing shades of "meh" in subsequent gigs. I am going to make sure they have my full attention.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Good luck with your year long festival. Will you see 'on average' a band a week or literally one per week? The former is do-able, The Great Escape will buy you a few weeks. The latter will be hard core.

That's a lot of wool in that shop!
Idea is one a week but I can see it falling apart very early on. On average is as you say easy- Great Esape will be four months in one weekend!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here