Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live Music 2013

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Holter was good and impeccably observed by the crowd. And given the nature of her music she needed to be impeccably observed; I could have heard a pin drop at times. Sadly no spectacles but her hair was up and it worked well with her long dress.

You win, Mr Cave was an excellent showman but it wasn't £35's worth of gig (still a bargain compared to a football match).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disagree. Loved it last night. Slightly different from his norm but at least 3/4 of it worked for me.

Slightly different, interesting. I am seeing him in salty Hamburg with the Frau shortly; I'll try and avoid this thread so whatever the 'slightly different' is comes as a surprise.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Disagree. Loved it last night. Slightly different from his norm but at least 3/4 of it worked for me.

on reflection my comment last night was somewhat churlish. The 'good' bit were excellent and they were many. That said I did find the set list a bit lop sided and I think he had a bit of a cold (or he's taken up spitting as a new hobby). A cracking night out all the same.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was near the front last night at Nick Cave. Thought it was a brilliant evening and at over two hours of music well worth it. Have to agree the spitting was a little out of place but at least it was aimed towards the floor. Song choices spanned most of his career with The Bad Seeds- at one point a crowd member shouted out a request for Release The Bats-what a treat that would have been. Seeing him on Saturday and will be interesting to compare as I am seated right at the back for this- not out of choice. Merchandise wise the usual stuff including t towels with a cartoon Cave in the buff- if you in to that kind of thing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Holter was good and impeccably observed by the crowd. And given the nature of her music she needed to be impeccably observed; I could have heard a pin drop at times. Sadly no spectacles but her hair was up and it worked well with her long dress.

She is saving the spectacles for Brighton. Well, that's the rumour. Glad you enjoyed it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You win, Mr Cave was an excellent showman but it wasn't £35's worth of gig (still a bargain compared to a football match).

He was great, the band were great (especially Warren Ellis & Jim Sclavunos.) Thought the crowd was a little subdued (I was at the front near Warren) & the setlist was a bit all over the place. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

It's still amongst the best gigs I've seen this year.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
He was great, the band were great (especially Warren Ellis & Jim Sclavunos.) Thought the crowd was a little subdued (I was at the front near Warren) & the setlist was a bit all over the place. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

It's still amongst the best gigs I've seen this year.

I find Warren Ellis just as entertaining and charismatic as Cave is.
Be interesting to see if there are set changes for the rest of the tour. Stagger Lee should always be played at the very end but guess that gets predictable.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
at one point a crowd member shouted out a request for Release The Bats-what a treat that would have been.

Pleasure Heads would have been better - that was always the most unhinged highlight of the Birthday Party gigs I went to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Very true. The Guardian once described him as Rasputin trying to swat a swarm of bees away.

When I saw Grinderman a couple of years ago he spent most of the gig lying on the floor, squirming away as he played.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Very true. The Guardian once described him as Rasputin trying to swat a swarm of bees away.

He goes in my girlfriends shop quite a lot, I've not had the pleasure but am reliably informed he just as much of a character off stage as on it, full of stories (that generally involve acid) & an absolute charmer. He's got a place in Hove now as well

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Changing the subject a bit, saw AlterBridge on Tuesday in Manchester. Pure hard rock with no frills. Right up my street. Myles Kennedy must have the best rock voice around. Great to have standing in a big arena as we'll....the atmosphere was fantastic. Great gig all round.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It was a less than average Nick Cave
It was a multitude multiple of what others aspire to

but he didn't play ......................................................................................... repeat to fade

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Changing the subject a bit, saw AlterBridge on Tuesday in Manchester. Pure hard rock with no frills. Right up my street. Myles Kennedy must have the best rock voice around. Great to have standing in a big arena as we'll....the atmosphere was fantastic. Great gig all round.

I was there too. Third time I've seen them and was a cracking night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He goes in my girlfriends shop quite a lot, I've not had the pleasure but am reliably informed he just as much of a character off stage as on it, full of stories (that generally involve acid) & an absolute charmer. He's got a place in Hove now as well

Ah, me and the Frau once saw him dawdling along Church Rd really late at night looking in estate agent windows.

Which shop does your lady work in?

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Tonight I am going to Hastings to see TV Smith, formerly of The Adverts at the Brass Monkey.
It's part of the Trash Cannes Festival.
They're showing a documentary about Johnny Thunders of the New York Dolls earlier in the evening as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here