Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live Music 2013

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, he really is a lazy bugger isn't he?

If his new band are coming over to the UK is there a tour in the offing? Might they be playing down here?

I have looked on the net but cannot see any other tour dates other than ATP in December. Would love to see him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And yeah, not enormously proficient technically, but nor are many of the greatest bands.

Agree. What I like about Ty Segall is that whilst he is not overly accomplished as a musician and his albums are roughly produced, underneath the mud, fuzz, effects and at times frantic playing there are some great riffs, tunes, melodies and harmonies.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Just booked Deerhunter and will soon be booking Kurt Vile at Concorde 2. Great to see artists like this coming to Brighton. Hoping some of the Great Escape bands I missed head back this way, like Parquet Courts and Mikal Cronin. Also praying that The National add a Brighton date next year. Did anyone else go to the Corn Exchange gig a few years back? Probably the best gig I've ever been to. I assume they'll be doing some heavy touring in 2014 and hopefully a few England dates outside of London and Manchester. The Dome has to be a shout? Please please please!

Can't remember how long ago I posted on this, so might as well say that I also have Liars, Japandroids and Modest Mouse booked in Brighton. I've seen Liars a few times before and hey are reliably awesome, though I have heard that the style of WIXIW (which is AMAZING!) does make their live music a little bit like one bloke singing with a backing track. Anyone else wanna reassure me?!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Camper Van Beethoven's set tonight at The Haunt was 50% great, 25% quite excellent and 25% utterly magnificent.

I'm very happy

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just booked Deerhunter and will soon be booking Kurt Vile at Concorde 2. Great to see artists like this coming to Brighton. Hoping some of the Great Escape bands I missed head back this way, like Parquet Courts and Mikal Cronin. Also praying that The National add a Brighton date next year. Did anyone else go to the Corn Exchange gig a few years back? Probably the best gig I've ever been to. I assume they'll be doing some heavy touring in 2014 and hopefully a few England dates outside of London and Manchester. The Dome has to be a shout? Please please please!

Can't remember how long ago I posted on this, so might as well say that I also have Liars, Japandroids and Modest Mouse booked in Brighton. I've seen Liars a few times before and hey are reliably awesome, though I have heard that the style of WIXIW (which is AMAZING!) does make their live music a little bit like one bloke singing with a backing track. Anyone else wanna reassure me?!

I wouldn't worry about Liars, they were staggeringly good at Green Door last year & they've been good the other times I've seen them. That Green Door last year show was by some distance the best I've seen tham. If I remember correctly, it was before WIXIW came out but they still played most of the album.

Some good other stuff coming up for you. I'm super excited about the Modest Mouse show as somehow I've never seen them before. Deerhunter & Kurt Vile are both great live, though I'm a little worried that the new Kurt Vile album is a bit pedestrian. Japandroids are always good fun live as well.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Herr - I saw this thread on Drowned In Sound and immediately thought of you. 1 post in particular gives some good tips on albums that have come out of the SF Garage Rock "scene" Though I would say the essential Oh Sees album is Help but the ones quoted are good 'uns as well.

http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4431155

I'll be dipping my toes in to this as well. I suppose I'd better start using Spotify...

I've always wanted to visit San Fransisco, and nearly booked a holiday there this summer, but plumped for New York in the end. Maybe next time...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just bagged my ticket for Leonard Cohen at the Brighton Centre in August.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr - I saw this thread on Drowned In Sound and immediately thought of you. 1 post in particular gives some good tips on albums that have come out of the SF Garage Rock "scene" Though I would say the essential Oh Sees album is Help but the ones quoted are good 'uns as well.

http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4431155

Cheers. Thanks for thinking of me. I will give this a proper read and report back. I just skimmed it an noticed Ariel Pink's name. I got put onto him a few years back by Rounder. Good stuff.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
just been on Concorde website and to check Kurt Vile date and noticed Mount Kimbie are playing in Novemebr. Got their album a few days ago and yet to give it a proper listen but would recommend it if you like electronica.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Green Day and Kaiser Chiefs tomorrow @ The Emirates

Rather looking forward to it :rock:

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
The Black Angels are playing The Haunt on the 25th June. Gonna be awesome! (I also have tickets for their London show the next day!)

Easthill Andy

Mar 22, 2006
Portslade
Gigs in Brighton for me coming up are PINS, Public Image Ltd, Hugh Cornwell, Soft Moon, Peter Hook, still thinking about going to New Model Army, UK Subs and From the Jam.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Gigs in Brighton for me coming up are PINS, Public Image Ltd, Hugh Cornwell, Soft Moon, Peter Hook, still thinking about going to New Model Army, UK Subs and From the Jam.

Where are PINS playing? I saw then support Savages and they were excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here