Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little twat insulting Tom Daley on twitter

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There is a risk of the police being dragged into thousands of Twitter-related complaints and I share the view that there should be free speech, and a feeling that we don't have to have everything vetted and monitored all the time.

However the way Twitter is developing could well mean we all have those rights curtailed by the mindless idiots who think it's OK to post nasty, cruel and threatening messages.

This stuff makes the headlines when it involves footballers, politicians and athletes. But what really worries me is the way social media can bully and victimise people that aren't in the public eye.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This stuff makes the headlines when it involves footballers, politicians and athletes. But what really worries me is the way social media can bully and victimise people that aren't in the public eye.

Again, the Malicious Communications Act is there for a reason, and anyone victimised has recourse to it, not just the famous.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Without wishing to disagree at all that his statement was out of order, i am getting a little concerned by the police of peoples opinions, after all everyone has the right to one, abhorrent or not is this a police matter? What could the young man be charged with?

There is a risk of the police being dragged into thousands of Twitter-related complaints and I share the view that there should be free speech, and a feeling that we don't have to have everything vetted and monitored all the time.

However the way Twitter is developing could well mean we all have those rights curtailed by the mindless idiots who think it's OK to post nasty, cruel and threatening messages.

Guys, this has nothing to do with free speech. The kid was sending death threats to Tom Daley and threatened to break a girls jaw in half amongst other threats. Regardless of probability, it was still a threat. Free speech is not dead, this has nothing to do with that.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Whilst the comments are disgusting I do have a problem with this being a criminal offence. It does appear to be a waste of police time. There is also an argument that it represses freedom of speech - people do not have to have facebook or twitter accounts. I think the police could use their resources better than to chase nutjobs and attention seekers.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Whilst the comments are disgusting I do have a problem with this being a criminal offence. It does appear to be a waste of police time. There is also an argument that it represses freedom of speech - people do not have to have facebook or twitter accounts. I think the police could use their resources better than to chase nutjobs and attention seekers.

He needs to be disciplined though because you can't just go round sending offensive messages to people, pretend to apologize and then threaten to kill them. I'm all for free speech with opinions, but no-one should suffer that kind of abuse. This Riley kid needs to be put in his place.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

"I'm going to break your jaw in half you ****" ~ I paraphrase because his account is now private, but if someone said this to your daughter, your partner, your mother, you would pass it off as freedom of speech, or report the threat to the police?

This is what that little twat said to a girl yesterday.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Guys, this has nothing to do with free speech. The kid was sending death threats to Tom Daley and threatened to break a girls jaw in half amongst other threats. Regardless of probability, it was still a threat. Free speech is not dead, this has nothing to do with that.

Again i was wasn't referring to death threats just the one about his father. I only saw the image that contained this portion.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Again i was wasn't referring to death threats just the one about his father. I only saw the image that contained this portion.

Yeah, that shouldn't be criminal as he apologised, but if he had left it at the apology, everything would have been fine, Daley hopefully shook it off but to continue after apologising and then abusing him further should not be allowed.

Tom Daley Twitter abuse: Boy arrested in Weymouth [bbc]

A teenager has been arrested by police investigating abuse of Team GB diver Tom Daley on Twitter.

After coming fourth in the men's synchronised 10m platform diving event on Monday, the 18-year-old from Plymouth received a message telling him he had let down his father, Rob.

Rob Daley died in May 2011 from brain cancer.

A 17-year-old boy was arrested at a guest house in the Weymouth area on suspicion of malicious communications.

Dorset Police said they acted after being contacted by a member of the public at about 22:30 BST on Monday.

A spokesman was unable to confirm whether the arrest was specifically over the tweets to Daley or subsequent Twitter conversations with other users.

Daley responded to the tweet by posting: "After giving it my all...you get idiot's sending me this..."

The user later posted a tweet apologising for the comment.

He said: "I'm sorry mate i just wanted you to win cause its the olympics I'm just annoyed we didn't win I'm sorry tom accept my apology."

He later added: "please i don't want to be hated I'm just sorry you didn't win i was rooting for you pal to do britain all proud just so upset."

After Daley sent the tweet on to his followers, he received a flood of supportive messages.

Daley's diving partner Pete Waterfield tweeted: "For all the haters out there, come do what we do then have ur say."

Open water swimmer Keri-Anne Payne also posted: "Ignore the idiots! Not worth it."

Another Twitter user, @sherricramer, posted: "You did your dad so proud! Never give up."

Deputy mayor of the Olympic Village, Duncan Goodhew, a swimming gold and bronze medallist at the Moscow Olympics in 1980, described the behaviour of the offending Twitter user as "appalling".

"I suppose that social media in one sense is fantastic, but turned the wrong way round it is very, very personal and it destroys people's lives.

"So I think people should be much more careful about what they say."

Rob Daley, who was instrumental in helping his son become one of the world's top divers, was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2006.

He had 80% of a fist-sized tumour removed that year and had been in remission until a routine health check in 2010 discovered a tumour had returned.

Speaking before the Olympics, Daley said his father had given him the inspiration to compete in the Games.

He told the BBC: "I'm doing it for myself and my dad. It was both our dreams from a very young age.

"I always wanted to do it and Dad was so supportive of everything."

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
"I'm going to break your jaw in half you ****" ~ I paraphrase because his account is now private, but if someone said this to your daughter, your partner, your mother, you would pass it off as freedom of speech, or report the threat to the police?

This is what that little twat said to a girl yesterday.

I questioned at what point do you restrict freedom of speech, this does not mean that you are free to make threats. It would be much better for the websites to block accounts (like on NSC) rather than to involve police.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I questioned at what point do you restrict freedom of speech, this does not mean that you are free to make threats. It would be much better for the websites to block accounts (like on NSC) rather than to involve police.

Also agree about the danger and power of the mob. But then again power is not bad in itself, just it's uses.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham

might i suggest you go to the first post on this thread and read the first couple of pages there are enough images of his original tweets, and videos of his threats, to maybe give you a different perspective:shrug:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
That should be a hanging offence, not a suspension.
Maybe, but my point being I was trying to raise dosh for charity and was suspended. Yet someone can say they;re gonna drown someone and other insults and not be suspended. Doesn't sound quite right

I do accept I was in the wrong though. But would think rileyy should have been stopped quicker than he was.
He now has 50K followers!

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Maybe, but my point being I was trying to raise dosh for charity and was suspended. Yet someone can say they;re gonna drown someone and other insults and not be suspended. Doesn't sound quite right

I do accept I was in the wrong though. But would think rileyy should have been stopped quicker than he was.
He now has 50K followers!

again might i suggest you go to the first post on this thread and read the first couple of pages

Attachments

• AyNQZ0rCEAACueF.jpg
    AyNQZ0rCEAACueF.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 34

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

NSC doesn't have 500m users so it's a lot easier to block users. Unfortunately Twitter is almost impossible to police and a lot of reliance is put onto the public to report this sort of abuse. Much like if you were abused in actual real life, you would go to the police about it.

There's a fine line between abuse and freedom of speech, but I'd like to think most self-respecting human can draw a distinction.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
NSC doesn't have 500m users so it's a lot easier to block users. Unfortunately Twitter is almost impossible to police and a lot of reliance is put onto the public to report this sort of abuse. Much like if you were abused in actual real life, you would go to the police about it.

There's a fine line between abuse and freedom of speech, but I'd like to think most self-respecting human can draw a distinction.

I agree about the freedom of speech. Surely if he'd received say 30 complaints then his account should be suspended until they review it. It took ages for them to close him down and that can't be right.

Try going onto twitter and typing to various celebs or other people "news.bbc.co.uk best www page there is. please RT". Send this to say 35 people and you'll be suspended somewhere between the 20th and 35th time I reckon. So don't understand why they can't do something that says xyz complaints and you're suspended. If it's freedom of speech issue, they'll just unsuspend the account again.

Last edited:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Just watching Olympics and Clare Balding just said she has had tweets from the guy in the past

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here