Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Little romance in City's title win' - outstanding article!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
The rot really started with the formation of the Premier League and the breaking of the old way football finances were split among all 92 clubs. There was more care for the wider football community before then. The Premier League has become so predictable and dull at the top, not to mention devoid of English players. A corporate oligarchy that tries to persuade fans to care more about 4th place and Champions League cash than actually winning anything. The broadcasters join in with this lie, implying that football only started in the early 90s with every drooling sycophantic platitude they utter.

I couldn't agree more. The formation of the Premier League is, in my opinion, the worst thing that happened. It is, as you say, dull, with the same teams monopolising the top places. Qualifying for the Champions League is an obsession with these clubs and their fans (of course it brings in more money and "prestige") and creates an even greater disparity between them and the others.

For me, which club I support is not about prestige or entertainment value but because it is my local club, which I have supported since a child and which I would support whatever position or league they are in. Personally, I have no aspirations to be in the Premier League, although that doesn't mean that I don't wish for success for the club.

It's really good to find someone else feels the same as me about the Premier League amongst so many people who believe it is the only league to be in.

I would add that I find it difficult to dislike Manchester City, in spite of the influx of money, because I have always liked them and not Manchester United, who have attracted support from far and wide because of their success, worldwide marketing and media attention. Manchester City have, until now, been in their shadow.

The divide between the top clubs and the lower leagues is very sad. It has led to the demise of clubs struggling to compete financially with some ceasing to exist. How much better it was before all this.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm reading Red or Dead at the moment and what's so alien is how open the leagues were then. A team could win the title one season and be relegated two seasons after that.

Man City managed to get relegated the season after they were champions in the 1930s. Not much chance of history repeating next season but we can dream...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Man City managed to get relegated the season after they were champions in the 1930s. Not much chance of history repeating next season but we can dream...

They didn't get relegated but when Leeds won the league in 1992 (Howard Wilkinson - still the last English manager to win it), they didn't win an away league match all of the following season.

Norwich City finished third, too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The rot really started with the formation of the Premier League and the breaking of the old way football finances were split among all 92 clubs. There was more care for the wider football community before then. The Premier League has become so predictable and dull at the top, not to mention devoid of English players. A corporate oligarchy that tries to persuade fans to care more about 4th place and Champions League cash than actually winning anything. The broadcasters join in with this lie, implying that football only started in the early 90s with every drooling sycophantic platitude they utter.

I couldn't agree more. The formation of the Premier League is, in my opinion, the worst thing that happened. It is, as you say, dull, with the same teams monopolising the top places. Qualifying for the Champions League is an obsession with these clubs and their fans (of course it brings in more money and "prestige") and creates an even greater disparity between them and the others.

For me, which club I support is not about prestige or entertainment value but because it is my local club, which I have supported since a child and which I would support whatever position or league they are in. Personally, I have no aspirations to be in the Premier League, although that doesn't mean that I don't wish for success for the club.

It's really good to find someone else feels the same as me about the Premier League amongst so many people who believe it is the only league to be in.

I would add that I find it difficult to dislike Manchester City, in spite of the influx of money, because I have always liked them and not Manchester United, who have attracted support from far and wide because of their success, worldwide marketing and media attention. Manchester City have, until now, been in their shadow.

The divide between the top clubs and the lower leagues is very sad. It has led to the demise of clubs struggling to compete financially with some ceasing to exist. How much better it was before all this.

Well said. I wonder if the Murdoch press's integrity and independence in claiming the PL as 'the greatest in the world' is any way compromised by Sky having the football rights.....

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Spot on. I bloody hate Man City, Chelsea and their like. Football shouldn't be about who has the most money. Foreign owners are an unwelcome feature in the British game. What do they know or care about the clubs they have "bought"?

Top 7 PL this season.

1. Arab money
2. American money
3. Russian money
4. Don't spend money
5. What's money?
6. Gareth Bale money
7. Waste of money

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
People blame the Premier League - and it really is a disgusting concept, especially the parachute payments - but the rot set in a lot earlier. Here's Lenny Lawrence speaking about keeping Charlton in the old first division while playing at Selhurst Park in the 1980s, from an excellent article in The Blizzard a year or so ago (modesty forbids etc):

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/...-millwall-and-wimbledon-challenged-the-elite/

"Every rule change, everything that’s done in football, makes the big clubs richer and the small clubs poorer. Go back 30 years: if you were the away club you got a percentage of the gate money. We would come away from a game against Manchester United with a share, which was worth a lot when we were getting 6-7,000 through the gate at Selhurst Park and they were getting 30-40,000. They stopped that 20-odd years ago [in 1983], and it made a big difference. The Premier League, with all the TV and prize money — everything has been designed to maintain the status quo. So for those clubs who drop out of the top flight or who have never been in it, it is much more difficult than it used to be."

On Blackburn, I also remember that a lot of people thought it was brilliant that a small-town club had denied the vile Manchester United the title, because we all thought that, if we had been Jack Walker, we'd have done exactly the same for our club. Of course nowadays his money might have got Blackburn promoted but wouldn't have made a dent in the vast TV and marketing revenues the top clubs get.

I also enjoyed Citeh winning the league two years ago because they came so close to cocking it up and also for the look on the faces of Ferguson and the Manchester United supporters when they realised that Aguero had snatched the title from them was utterly priceless. And, most importantly, it meant a new name on that hideous, ridiculous, no-class Premier League trophy. For the same reason, I wanted Liverpool to win this year.

But frankly, having seen close up what the greed and desperation that surrounds the Premier League does to clubs - even decent clubs such as Fulham - I'm in two minds about the Albion going up. Of course I want to see us playing against the top teams, and we have to have the ambition to get as high up the league as possible, or else why bother - but holding onto your soul at the same time is tricky. Not many clubs have managed it. Ask the fans of Cardiff, Hull Tigers, Blackburn, P*rtsm**th ....

Last edited:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
If this develops into a ffp argument then remember you'll never see a Blackburn win the Premier title again.
Not that that was necessarily your point.

Surely Man City winning the Prem for the first time was the same thing as a loaded Blackburn winning the title.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here