Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little bands no one's ever heard of.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Three relatively small bands I love are "Pram" - from Brum, not as bad as the name suggests. "Yo La Tengo" - Been going for years,have a very eclectic sound and "Mission of Burma" - Noisy but tuneful old punks from Boston(Mass.). I would post examples but I'm a bit crap at computing!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
They were good in their earlier dishevelled bedroom punk guise and The Quality of Mercy is not Strnen is a good if a bit patchy album. I was less enamoured with them when they reformed and went down the country road.

Ex-Mekon Jon Langford's next band The Three Johns were in many ways both way more obscure and way better. Atom Drum Bop and The World By Storm are both excellent albums. Did anyone else see tham playing the Escape Club (I think), ca. 1986/87? It was around that time that a very young and unknown Primal Scream played at the Escape supporting someone or other - it may have been the same gig, although I'm not 100% sure.

Another favourite of mine. For Madmen Only was a great album. And as for the Rising From the Dread EP, Testament is a superb song, and Werewolf a true goth classic, and at least the equal of Bela Lugoosi's Dead. But I got banned from playing it in company as the heavy breathing/howling bit at the start used to keep freaking out the Mrs.

Yes. Charm and Give Me Passion, both great singles. Positive Negative, not so much. I admit I kind of lost interest in and touch with them after that.

first saw the mekons at the brighton poly,i think early 80's

came across uk decay when i went up to camden to see the dead kennedys,thought they were great and went out and bought the single "for my country" decent b-side too "unwind"

i had a positive noise album,but for the life of me,can't remember the name,it had a blue cover,favourite track on that for me was "refugees"

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Melancholy sound, very relaxing and good lyrics!
Plus, they're from Brighton :)
Discovered them when they were supporting Paul Heaton at the Concorde2.

The gamers amongst you might know this one, still a very good song by a guy with a unique voice.

(My musical taste isn't all like this, by the way :p)

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Ex-Mekon Jon Langford's next band The Three Johns were in many ways both way more obscure and way better. Atom Drum Bop and The World By Storm are both excellent albums. Did anyone else see tham playing the Escape Club (I think), ca. 1986/87? It was around that time that a very young and unknown Primal Scream played at the Escape supporting someone or other - it may have been the same gig, although I'm not 100% sure.

3 Johns were a great band. I was always fond of this clip from when they were on the Tube in 1984.

Primal Scream were pretty big by 1986 in indie terms, probably too big to be a support act at the Escape anyway, although I did see them supporting Julian Cope at Leeds Poly that year....

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Primal Scream were pretty big by 1986 in indie terms, probably too big to be a support act at the Escape anyway, although I did see them supporting Julian Cope at Leeds Poly that year....

They weren't that big in 1986, and definitely supported someone in Brighton around that time - just can't remember who. If it wasn't at the Escape, it may have been supporting The Ramones or The Cramps at the Top Rank(?). Apart from the JAMC connection, not many people took much notice of them until Velocity Girl appeared on NME's C86 album.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
They weren't that big in 1986, and definitely supported someone in Brighton around that time - just can't remember who. If it wasn't at the Escape, it may have been supporting The Ramones or The Cramps at the Top Rank(?). Apart from the JAMC connection, not many people took much notice of them until Velocity Girl appeared on NME's C86 album.

I guess. "Big" is relative though isn't it? I read somewhere recently that the amount of records that a middling indie band would sell on a label like Creation or Cherry Red in 1986 would easily see them in the top 10 of the "proper" chart today, whereas modern sales figures for somebody like the Horrors would have made them a pretty small indie act then. Or something.

I think that most people would have regarded the Primals as the biggest band on C86, if asked at the time. I certainly would have.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
However, indisputably the best band of the 80s were:

Bogshed. In my opinion like.

Ah, Bogshed. Now you got me thinking about the most bizarre band I ever saw live (supporting the Monochrome Set I think). Three blokes whose only musical accompaniment entailed squeaking and making farting noises into cardboard tubes.

And lo! and behold! YouTube does not disappoint. Ladies and gentlemen, i give you... Furious Pig

[yt]JaGeMG_uGeU[/yt]

[yt]ZWGAlNXJTJE[/yt]

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I once saw a Belgian industrial band (can't remember their name thankfully) whose act consisted of coming on stage nude, wrapped in cellophane with daffodils stuck up their arses, picking on a member of the audience and shouting (in Flemish) in his face until he punched one of them. In a pub in Leeds!

They were great.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Astrid, mid-tempo Scottish rock band who released 3 albums, had a few top 100 singles before disbanding. Bass player bow in the more successful Idlewild.

The singer Willie Campbell released an album Down By The Head under the name 'The Open Day Rotation' a couple of years ago...follow up sometime soon...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Mm. So many to go for. How about Salem 66?

I always had a weakness for the "three girls plus male drummer, from Boston" line-up, but Throwing Muses just aren't obscure enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaWlBgOuP8k

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Not really a band, but I always loved Mary Margaret o'Hara's voice. Stunning, unique.

And then I saw her dance. Like an Energiser Bunny drunk on cheap vodka, constantly punching some invisible dwarf who is apparently trying to steal her mike stand. Kinda ruined the mystique. But still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQbAr1DCjYw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here