Life on Other Planets

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I bet they'd spot the invisible gorilla with the basketball though!

Is that the same doc? I got bored of it after a while and switched off. Cheap American production values and patronising like Sesame Street. Thought the water crystals thing was interesting. How reliable is that doc, I suspected it was a crazy person's obsession but some of it turned my ear.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Is that the same doc? I got bored of it after a while and switched off. Cheap American production values and patronising like Sesame Street. Thought the water crystals thing was interesting. How reliable is that doc, I suspected it was a crazy person's obsession but some of it turned my ear.

No, I was being flippant - the gorilla is a test of observation, but also shows how the brain perceives/filters things - The Invisible Gorilla: And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Okay, having wasted 6:17 of my life, I find it ironic/annoying that it "disclosed" nothing except:
1) These people know their own names
2) They're prepared to testify in front of Congress (about what?)
3) Something cost a lot of money, but it's secret
4) We may not be alone.

I should have known better :facepalm:

It's a trailer fool.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's a trailer fool.

Yeah, a 6:17 full trailer of nothingness. I can imagine how full of nothingness the entire thing is...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a trailer fool.

A trailer that lasts for more than 6 minutes. Odd. If you can't say it in less time than that it's probably not worth saying. A bit like one of my favourite quotes "If you cannot explain it to a 6 year old, you probably don't understand it yourself". What if CAT really spelled DOG? It blows my mind.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
A trailer that lasts for more than 6 minutes. Odd. If you can't say it in less time than that it's probably not worth saying. A bit like one of my favourite quotes "If you cannot explain it to a 6 year old, you probably don't understand it yourself". What if CAT really spelled DOG? It blows my mind.

You better stick to things which take 6 minutes or less to explain then.

Sounds about right.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, a 6:17 full trailer of nothingness. I can imagine how full of nothingness the entire thing is...

Maybe trailer is not the right word. I kind of thought what it was about was obvious.

Ok, I'll ruin the twist for you.

Extraterrestrial intelligence has been engaging this planet for at least 60 years.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Maybe trailer is not the right word. I kind of thought what it was about was obvious.

Extraterrestrial intelligence has been engaging this planet for at least 60 years.

Which of course, it hasn't.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It always baffles me why scientists are always harking on about looking for Water and Oxygen on other planets because they are the building blocks of life. Yes, for this planet they are, it doesn't mean they are for another planet. Other life forms are going to adapt to the conditions of their planet and thus we shouldn't get stuck looking for water and oxygen to prove there is life or could have been life. Instead we should be looking for the lifeforms.

Any planet is capable of harboring life, as long as the creatures there are able to deal with the living conditions. Who is to say another alien species needs water to drink? They might not even need to eat.

They are looking for a planet that we can move to in the not too distant future, once we have made this one uninhabitable

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You better stick to things which take 6 minutes or less to explain then.

Sounds about right.

If you even understood the basics of what you think you understand you might get taken seriously. I'm not trying to have a pop but every video or article you post is just laughable bobbins. I genuinely don't know why you take such offence at people ridiculing them, you must be able to see they are to many, hilarious.

Whose to say whether ET's have been in contact? I wouldn't rule anything out but these crackpots just fit their ill thought out ideas around loose "facts" or connections. The arrogance to try and state it as truth is what annoys. I don't know if ET's have been in contact, you don't know and they certainly don't know.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Well that is what is said in the film.

How do you know that it hasn't?

Sheer practicality. The nearest star to us (after the sun) is 4.3 light years away. Covering that distance would require a massive amount of fuel and would take more than 10 years. Why would anyone come all this way just to flatten some crops? Unless they have some miraculous teleporting technology and a very good sense of humour this is something too ridiculous to take seriously.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you even understood the basics of what you think you understand you might get taken seriously. I'm not trying to have a pop but every video or article you post is just laughable bobbins. I genuinely don't know why you take such offence at people ridiculing them, you must be able to see they are to many, hilarious.

Whose to say whether ET's have been in contact? I wouldn't rule anything out but these crackpots just fit their ill thought out ideas around loose "facts" or connections. The arrogance to try and state it as truth is what annoys. I don't know if ET's have been in contact, you don't know and they certainly don't know.

Right. But if someone had an experience, which was suggestive of extraterrestrial activity, would it not be noteworthy?

I don't know, you are right. But I am interested to see what information is available. When I look, I find that apparently sincere people have come forward with accounts and information which is suggestive of extraterrestrial activity. This is interesting.

You always like to suggest that I am somehow naive or gullible. But it is interesting to me how phobic you and some other people are of some of these things. If you gave this an honest ear for example, perhaps you could make a point about a particular whistle-blower and what they said, and maybe you could make a reasonable point, but as Einstein said, "condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance".

Einstein would totally watch the disclosure project, he would definitely not dismiss stuff out of prejudice. That is a mugs game.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Well, it's not going to inspire anyone to watch anything longer!

Yes, I know what it was "about", but there was no content - even MotD trailers include some action.

If ET has been around for 60 years, then please post a "trailer" with some evidence. Hardly "spoilers".

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Right. But if someone had an experience, which was suggestive of extraterrestrial activity, would it not be noteworthy?

I don't know, you are right. But I am interested to see what information is available. When I look, I find that apparently sincere people have come forward with accounts and information which is suggestive of extraterrestrial activity. This is interesting.

You always like to suggest that I am somehow naive or gullible. But it is interesting to me how phobic you and some other people are of some of these things. If you gave this an honest ear for example, perhaps you could make a point about a particular whistle-blower and what they said, and maybe you could make a reasonable point, but as Einstein said, "condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance".

Einstein would totally watch the disclosure project, he would definitely not dismiss stuff out of prejudice. That is a mugs game.

I don't agree that I don't investigate this stuff, I am genuinely interested in a lot of it I just get so bored wading through the crazies to get to the reliable stuff. I do enjoy some of the stuff I find I'm just sceptical. A lot of it is interesting but it's hard to find.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sheer practicality. The nearest star to us (after the sun) is 4.3 light years away. Covering that distance would require a massive amount of fuel and would take more than 10 years. Why would anyone come all this way just to flatten some crops? Unless they have some miraculous teleporting technology and a very good sense of humour this is something too ridiculous to take seriously.

Not to mention that they only seem to contact people who have signed the official secrets act.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

In order to say that, you would have to claim to know and understand the workings of the universe.

We probably should not assume that advanced forms of life would be burning fossil fuels and flying using combustion engines. If it were possible to travel through space at very fast speeds, the distance would not be a problem. The universe has been around for a very long time, so if life does exist elsewhere, then life which is much more advanced than we are is likely to exist. The practical problem is ours, but it would not necessarily be theirs.

As for why come here, the same reason we would go somewhere. Exploration, trade, because they are hungry maybe :lolol:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't agree that I don't investigate this stuff, I am genuinely interested in a lot of it I just get so bored wading through the crazies to get to the reliable stuff. I do enjoy some of the stuff I find I'm just sceptical. A lot of it is interesting but it's hard to find.

The disclosure project, for the most part, is an interesting 2 hrs. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports