Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Life on Other Planets

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
It always baffles me why scientists are always harking on about looking for Water and Oxygen on other planets because they are the building blocks of life. Yes, for this planet they are, it doesn't mean they are for another planet. Other life forms are going to adapt to the conditions of their planet and thus we shouldn't get stuck looking for water and oxygen to prove there is life or could have been life. Instead we should be looking for the lifeforms.

Any planet is capable of harboring life, as long as the creatures there are able to deal with the living conditions. Who is to say another alien species needs water to drink? They might not even need to eat.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I've always struggled to understand why we look for life in places like Croydon expecting it to be like ours. So I agree I think.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
It always baffles me why scientists are always harking on about looking for Water and Oxygen on other planets because they are the building blocks of life. Yes, for this planet they are, it doesn't mean they are for another planet. Other life forms are going to adapt to the conditions of their planet and thus we shouldn't get stuck looking for water and oxygen to prove there is life or could have been life. Instead we should be looking for the lifeforms.

Any planet is capable of harboring life, as long as the creatures there are able to deal with the living conditions. Who is to say another alien species needs water to drink? They might not even need to eat.

Here you go... http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/980221b.html

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That answer is based on what we know, and there is a lot out there that we don't know. He says water is requirement, but that isn't necessary, or at least we don't know it is right now. It's a load of tosh.

What can we know about other life if we, at present can only visit and directly study the next planet from us, and only gain certain information from planets and moons further afield. Of course life COULD take other forms, but until that is found, it is pure guesswork. We know what enables on life on this planet, and so we can look what happens on others. What you're suggesting is the difference between science and science fiction.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Without water, there can be no biological reactions. Water has so many incredibly unique properties which make it perfect for the chemical reactions required like no other compound does.

That is what we know at the moment. However, it could be totally different on other planets. Surely water doesn't always have to exist?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
That answer is based on what we know, and there is a lot out there that we don't know. He says water is requirement, but that isn't necessary, or at least we don't know it is right now. It's a load of tosh.

Totally agree with you...just shows the limitations of many "experts"

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The life on Earth is based around Carbon compounds, but there's no reason why it couldn't be based around Sulphur which also forms 4 chemical bonds.

Saying that, the experts in these fields are a damn sight more qualified that the people on this board!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we shouldn't get stuck looking for water and oxygen to prove there is life or could have been life. Instead we should be looking for the lifeforms.
You make it sound like we'd see some aliens and ignore them: 'oh no, forget those, where's the water?' The fact is, it's much easier to find massive gouges in a landscape caused by water, that to see some tiny life form.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Saying that, the experts in these fields are a damn sight more qualified that the people on this board!
You're still talking about life forms right? Because the people on this board obviously know more about football than the so called experts - FACT.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Misleading thread title - I thought it was about a new David Attenborough series.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We might find that the greatest challenge we have in detecting extraterrestrial life will be to recognize it when we see it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I saw a documentary about when Cook arrived at the Carribean Islands, I think it was. Anyway the indiginous peoples literally could not see the ships. They saw the waves and wake they made as they approached and wondered what could be making the waves part, they used logic to figure out what could be doing it and when that idea formed in their mind they could see the ships. They could not physically see something their minds did not comprehend. I don't know how reliable this is, sounds bunkum but quite a few historians and experts agreed that's what happened. Bizarre.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Okay, having wasted 6:17 of my life, I find it ironic/annoying that it "disclosed" nothing except:
1) These people know their own names
2) They're prepared to testify in front of Congress (about what?)
3) Something cost a lot of money, but it's secret
4) We may not be alone.

I should have known better :facepalm:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I saw a documentary about when Cook arrived at the Carribean Islands, I think it was. Anyway the indiginous peoples literally could not see the ships. They saw the waves and wake they made as they approached and wondered what could be making the waves part, they used logic to figure out what could be doing it and when that idea formed in their mind they could see the ships. They could not physically see something their minds did not comprehend. I don't know how reliable this is, sounds bunkum but quite a few historians and experts agreed that's what happened. Bizarre.

I bet they'd spot the invisible gorilla with the basketball though!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
You're still talking about life forms right? Because the people on this board obviously know more about football than the so called experts - FACT.

Naturally. Even football experts know nothing about football :jester:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here