Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Lewis Hamilton the greatest living British sportsman?

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Not read the whole thread but I do think people have a opinion of Hamilton based on his behaviour in his earlier years, up to about 2016 ish. Whiny, bit graceless. In the last few years he is a hugely changed character, grew up a lot and he's a model pro now. We can argue until the cows come home if he's the GOAT or not, but he deserves far more credit than he gets from the British public.

Also - people who call F1 "not a sport" - give me strength. It takes enormous skill, concentration, and physical fitness and endurance. On what planet is that not a sport?

judorichard

How about Steve?

Personally I would go for Sir Steve Redgrave. He won the Gold Medal in rowing at FIVE consecutive Olympic Games from 1984 to 2000! (He probably would have medaled at the 1980 Moscow Olympics but we boycotted it!) He dominated for over 16 years in one of the toughest sports out there. Sir Steve definitely gets my vote for Greatest Living British Sports Person.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's an impossible question to answer.
He seems to be a big part in the best team in F1 at the moment. He's won the most races ever but do they have the same amount of races or more than previous years. Not a big F1 fan myself so don't know.
Different sports require different skills, obviously!

Micheal Schmacher entered 306 F1 races and won 91.
Lewis Hamilton has entered 262 F1 races and won 92.

Win percentage of wins against entries is a really good gauge:

1 Lewis Hamilton 35.11%
2 Jim Clark 34.25%
3 Michael Schumacher 29.55%
4 Jackie Stewart 27.00%
5 Ayrton Senna 25.31%
6 Alain Prost 25.25%
7 Sebastian Vettel 20.95%
8 Nigel Mansell 16.23%
9 Niki Lauda 14.12%
10 Fernando Alonso 10.19%

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Personally I would go for Sir Steve Redgrave. He won the Gold Medal in rowing at FIVE consecutive Olympic Games from 1984 to 2000! (He probably would have medaled at the 1980 Moscow Olympics but we boycotted it!) He dominated for over 16 years in one of the toughest sports out there. Sir Steve definitely gets my vote for Greatest Living British Sports Person.

Actually Britain didn't boycott the 1980 Olympics fully, despite the government at the time wanting us to. The BOA allowed each sport to decide if they wanted to send athletes to compete or not. Rowing sent a team and won 1 silver and two bronzes. Steve Redgrave at 18 years of age would have been highly unlikely to have been considered for the team.

saintquin

Apr 13, 2010
Micheal Schmacher entered 306 F1 races and won 91.
Lewis Hamilton has entered 262 F1 races and won 92.

Win percentage of wins against entries is a really good gauge:

1 Lewis Hamilton 35.11%
2 Jim Clark 34.25%
3 Michael Schumacher 29.55%
4 Jackie Stewart 27.00%
5 Ayrton Senna 25.31%
6 Alain Prost 25.25%
7 Sebastian Vettel 20.95%
8 Nigel Mansell 16.23%
9 Niki Lauda 14.12%
10 Fernando Alonso 10.19%

That's quite impressive!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jim CLARK.

Ah, but he had the best car, only ever beaten when it had a mechanical failure. Lotus was the Mercedes of it’s day so if Hamilton can be hit with the best car stick then we have to hit Clark with the same stick surely?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Ah, but he had the best car, only ever beaten when it had a mechanical failure. Lotus was the Mercedes of it’s day so if Hamilton can be hit with the best car stick then we have to hit Clark with the same stick surely?

They didn't retire in the old days they died, an unlikey risk for Hamilton so he has a longer term in which to win races. I am a Hamilton fan as he is English.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Don't understand the best car argument either. F1 is a team sport, best drivers join the best teams, just as in football the best players join the top teams.

People say that Hamilton wouldn't win the title in a Williams. But that's like criticising Messi for joining Fulham and not winning the Champions League.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Jim Clark could win in anything., as with Stirling Moss, you cannot compare those drivers. and neither are with us so don't qualify for the OP's debate :p

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They didn't retire in the old days they died, an unlikey risk for Hamilton so he has a longer term in which to win races. I am a Hamilton fan as he is English.

I get what you mean but dying young does not bump you the best ever driver standings, surely.

I am old enough to remember Clark, Hill (Phil and Graham), Hawthorn and Moss. My parents used to take me to the Nurburgring as a kid. Bloody wet and cold every time and dull as hell as it was the long circuit at the time and took about 6 mins for the cars to reappear each lap. Surprised it didn’t put me off F1 :smile:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Jim Clark could win in anything., as with Stirling Moss, you cannot compare those drivers. and neither are with us so don't qualify for the OP's debate :p

That is a very good point that completely passed me by on my previous post :lolol:

Maybe we should have a thread on best performance in motorsport EVER. I can guarantee we’d still get loads of posts about how it’s a shit sport and I have no interest in it :wink:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Don't understand the best car argument either. F1 is a team sport, best drivers join the best teams, just as in football the best players join the top teams.

People say that Hamilton wouldn't win the title in a Williams. But that's like criticising Messi for joining Fulham and not winning the Champions League.

Quite, and you often find the best drivers over achieve in lesser cars.

as for best sportsman, theiors a big difference between team sports and individual . . . . LH and drivers are an oddity, they're an individual taking all the credit but are useless without the team.

a race series with all entrants building and maintaining their own cars probably wouldn't be quite so entertaining or glamerous and not good TV for many. :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That is a very good point that completely passed me by on my previous post :lolol:

Maybe we should have a thread on best performance in motorsport EVER. I can guarantee we’d still get loads of posts about how it’s a shit sport and I have no interest in it :wink:

Stirling Moss MIlle Miglia was quite impressive, Senna @ Donnington.

there are notable drivers who have won lots by being in the right place/team/car at the right time as well. Anyone who partnered Jacky Icxk for example ;-)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Stirling Moss MIlle Miglia was quite impressive, Senna @ Donnington.

there are notable drivers who have won lots by being in the right place/team/car at the right time as well. Anyone who partnered Jacky Icxk for example ;-)

Jackie Oliver

Lucky they were both alive to do it too after this. Notice how health and safety has changed too. Is that Marshall mental?

https://youtu.be/m8qnieWKLGA

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I don't have a problem with Hamilton living in Monaco nor his use of his success as a platform for his views, he's earned the right for that IMHO. I agree he is the best F! driver of all time, despite the accusations of always having the best car (which I don't agree with). I just think as an all-round racing driver he is beaten (for the time being) by Jim Clark. But I think they are both beaten by the likes of Wiggins and Froome simply because of the unbelievable physical demands that the cyclist has to deal with. These guys made it to the very top of a sport which we as a country have traditionally ignored until about 10 years ago - Wiggins across different disciplines which require different approaches and Froome just kept going at an unbelievable level for such a long time (and despite suffering horrendous injuries a couple of years ago has come back for more).

I admire Lewis for what he's achieved but am absolutely in awe of what the cyclists have done.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't have a problem with Hamilton living in Monaco nor his use of his success as a platform for his views, he's earned the right for that IMHO. I agree he is the best F! driver of all time, despite the accusations of always having the best car (which I don't agree with). I just think as an all-round racing driver he is beaten (for the time being) by Jim Clark. But I think they are both beaten by the likes of Wiggins and Froome simply because of the unbelievable physical demands that the cyclist has to deal with. These guys made it to the very top of a sport which we as a country have traditionally ignored until about 10 years ago - Wiggins across different disciplines which require different approaches and Froome just kept going at an unbelievable level for such a long time (and despite suffering horrendous injuries a couple of years ago has come back for more).

I admire Lewis for what he's achieved but am absolutely in awe of what the cyclists have done.

And they give hope to asthmatics everywhere :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here