Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Lewis Hamilton the greatest living British sportsman?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's not a participant sport, I think that was my point (badly put).

There's a huge amount that goes into it, aside from the 20 men driving on a Sunday. The best engineers, designers, data and software people participate in it all year every year. You can say they are engineers and software geeks rather than sports people and perhaps have some merit but I doubt anyone who can change a heavy tyre in the pits in well under a second without getting themselves run over is overweight, uncoordinated or weak.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Highly subjective but I’d put these ahead of Hamilton who I just cannot warm to

Andy Murray
Lennox Lewis
Daley Thompson
Mo Farah
Steve Redgrave

And if you want to include pub games then Phil Taylor has a phenomenal record.

Starting with Andy Murray is the perfect demonstration of why Hamilton is so so great - Murray has one 3 grand slams, put's him =38th in the list of all time winners, one could argue that he's the 4th or 5th best player of the last decade but you're stacking it up against a bloke that has won more than anyone else, ever. Murray is obviously a fantastic champion, one of the greatest from these shores but there is no comparison between him and Hamilton.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Starting with Andy Murray is the perfect demonstration of why Hamilton is so so great - Murray has one 3 grand slams, put's him =38th in the list of all time winners, one could argue that he's the 4th or 5th best player of the last decade but you're stacking it up against a bloke that has won more than anyone else, ever. Murray is obviously a fantastic champion, one of the greatest from these shores but there is no comparison between him and Hamilton.

It’s a fair point, I just don’t consider motor racing a sport.

Back to Murray he has won an Olympic gold medal plus led GB to a Davis Cup. He has also played in an era where he has come against the three best players of all-time.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020

Not comparing apples with apples though, Murray has played in an era which is the best ever in mens tennis, the 3 men ahead of him are arguably the 3 best players ever to play the game, if he were in an era 20 years ago when Sampras was fairly dominant I think Murray is a better all round player than him and would be into double figures in grand slam wins. Not sure in this era of Hamilton dominance in F1 how manty of his rivals you would describe as some of the best ever F1 drivers, but because of the nature of the sport and the massive difference in competitiveness between cars its hard to gauge, the one person who could potentially be as good as or possibly better than Hamilton currently is Verstappen but we'll never know because will never see them on the same team with the same resources and equipment at their disposal. It's like if Murray had a tennis racquet 20% bigger than his opponents he would have won way more grand slams, that's akin to the advantage he would have in terms of equipment that Hamilton has had certainly since he's been at Mercedes.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Whoa! You are misreading what I wrote by quite a long way and sound a little angry? I wasn't deriding the sport either, my youngest son's good friend races for Porsche in the Ginetta Juniors, he is 17 years old, an amazing driver and I believe has to have 'guts' to do it.

I have no doubt it must be popular in some respect still, but recalling the 70's an 80's, it was generally higher in the public consciousness than it is now in my opinion. Whichever jobs I have had over the years, there were always people discussing it. But in my present job, where I've been for 12 years, there are around 50 staff, none of which, even with turnover, have ever uttered a word about it. I think [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] is probably correct in that once the racing went to Sky, like the cricket, it dropped a little in popularity.
No not angry mate. Just when you have a multi billion pound sport which millions of people watch I don't think you can call it lacking in popularity, that's all.

I don't work in an office so I couldn't comment on what's discussed there. But I know that in the pub (when they're open) F1 is still discussed as much as ever (as in after football and cricket and on a par with NFL/Golf as has always been).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Why bother commenting then?

I don't spam the rugby threads saying how it's a load of big lads running into each other, interrupted by booting an egg out of bounds, ten minutes of VAR and a bit of wrestling.

You are clearly incorrect as it is a sport, you just don't like it. Just as I don't like biffas running after an egg, but I still appreciate that it's a sport and that lots of people like it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sportsman v achiever?

For sportsman in the sense I view it - Flintoff in the 2005 Ashes with Brett Lee, or Eddie the Eagle.
"Do you know what I actually said? Take that you Aussie *******"

Fred is quality.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Why bother commenting then?

I don't spam the rugby threads saying how it's a load of big lads running into each other, interrupted by booting an egg out of bounds, ten minutes of VAR and a bit of wrestling.

You are clearly incorrect as it is a sport, you just don't like it. Just as I don't like biffas running after an egg, but I still appreciate that it's a sport and that lots of people like it.

It’s a thread on Britain’s greatest sportsman not motor racing. I wouldn’t go on a motor racing thread as I have no interest in it.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I can't stand F1 or Lewis Hamilton, but he shoot up in my estimation if his next contract was with one of the lower ranking teams.

Show everyone how brilliant he is by proving it not driving the best car, and taking a pay cut at the same time.

A bit like seeing if Pep Guardiola was able to be so brilliant managing Exeter City with their budget?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Back to Murray he has won an Olympic gold medal plus led GB to a Davis Cup. He has also played in an era where he has come against the three best players of all-time.

Ha, well if you don't think it's a sport then there's no convincing you is there!! It may count against Murray that clearly the big 3 are great players but c'est la vie isn't it, fine margins and all that...

For what it's worth, I'm no petrol head whatsoever, I'm not that fussed about F1 or motor racing in general but Hamilton is so special, I find it fascinating. He's so superior to his competitors- His focus, attention to detail, temperament, pure brilliance is incredible.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ha, well if you don't think it's a sport then there's no convincing you is there!! It may count against Murray that clearly the big 3 are great players but c'est la vie isn't it, fine margins and all that...

For what it's worth, I'm no petrol head whatsoever, I'm not that fussed about F1 or motor racing in general but Hamilton is so special, I find it fascinating. He's so superior to his competitors- His focus, attention to detail, temperament, pure brilliance is incredible.

I should probably rephrase that. It is a sport, just not one I particularly enjoy.

I also think Hamilton comes across as a bit of a knob when I hear him on tv and radio so I’m not going to give a particularly balanced appraisal or his career and achievements.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
No not angry mate. Just when you have a multi billion pound sport which millions of people watch I don't think you can call it lacking in popularity, that's all.

I don't work in an office so I couldn't comment on what's discussed there. But I know that in the pub (when they're open) F1 is still discussed as much as ever (as in after football and cricket and on a par with NFL/Golf as has always been).

Do you know, actually know that NFL is discussed in pubs on the same level as Golf?

That would be an amazing rise for NFL interest in this country given the sheer numbers of participants in golf. I can’t believe that statement is true.

I remember the Sunday we played Arsenal in our first season in Prem and it was the NFL game at Wembley. On the tube and pubs near Kings X, amongst the fat yanks were a visible cohort of middle aged men, seemingly from Germany, that looked like they had emerged from their parental box rooms wearing an NFL franchise shirt to seek out the yanks.

I remember thinking how the numbers hooking into Xhamster must have dropped through the floor that day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I should probably rephrase that. It is a sport, just not one I particularly enjoy.

I also think Hamilton comes across as a bit of a knob when I hear him on tv and radio so I’m not going to give a particularly balanced appraisal or his career and achievements.

Well I agree with you. Firstly, driving isn't much of a sport IMO. People who think driving is a proper sport love to tell everyone of the concentration and guts you need, which is fine but it is still ultimately sitting in a seat, pushing pedals and steering a wheel - all of which is done by salesmen every day.

Secondly, I'll take issue with [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] who seems to think Andy Murray isn't in the same ball park as Hamilton. Really? Hamilton has competed exclusively against a handful of privileged men. How many people have ever tried F1 racing or even competitive racing as percentage of the population? On the other hand, Murray, has proved himself too good for nearly everyone who ever picked up a tennis racket and fought the odds in doing so (thanks to his mum who sold up everything to move to Spain because the coaching in the UK is so inept).

So on balance, to me, no F1 driver will ever be considered the greatest ever living sportsman, any more than any given polo player - not enough people have been exposed to those sports. Or darts or snooker players for that matter (not to be disparaging but these are pub games).

The greatest living British sportsman for me is probably Chris Hoy, just ahead of Steve Redgrave. Of the main stream spectator sports, I think Murray and Jonny Wilkinson both have claims.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I can't stand F1 or Lewis Hamilton, but he shoot up in my estimation if his next contract was with one of the lower ranking teams.

Show everyone how brilliant he is by proving it not driving the best car, and taking a pay cut at the same time.

A bit like seeing if Pep Guardiola was able to be so brilliant managing Exeter City with their budget?

If he wants a credible voice on social issues in the U.K. he needs to live and contribute tax into the U.K.

There’s no credibility in whining about how bad things are from your multi million pound drum in Monaco.

None, regardless of how good you are at sport.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If he wants a credible voice on social issues in the U.K. he needs to live and contribute tax into the U.K.

There’s no credibility in whining about how bad things are from your multi million pound drum in Monaco.

None, regardless of how good you are at sport.
Hell yes, fully agree with that too.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Do you know, actually know that NFL is discussed in pubs on the same level as Golf?

That would be an amazing rise for NFL interest in this country given the sheer numbers of participants in golf. I can’t believe that statement is true.

I remember the Sunday we played Arsenal in our first season in Prem and it was the NFL game at Wembley. On the tube and pubs near Kings X, amongst the fat yanks were a visible cohort of middle aged men, seemingly from Germany, that looked like they had emerged from their parental box rooms wearing an NFL franchise shirt to seek out the yanks.

I remember thinking how the numbers hooking into Xhamster must have dropped through the floor that day.
I'm talking about real life not your weird fantasy world you complete dick. Not surprising that you've popped up on another thread with racist undertones though. Can't help yourself can you.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Me neither to be perfectly honest, I can take it or leave it, can't recall often watching one from start to finish!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I'm talking about real life not your weird fantasy world you complete dick. Not surprising that you've popped up on another thread with racist undertones though. Can't help yourself can you.

Oh Christ, you are an NFL supporter aren’t you?

Let me guess, German family and gold membership of Xhamster?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here