Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Lewis Hamilton apologising for remark to nephew

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Get a grip.
Where does this stop?
Is it soon going to be offensive to call a paedophile a nonce?
The rate we're going it's not gonna be long.
People seriously need to stop all this getting offended on other people's behalf.

Almost a copy and paste statement from when racism was acceptable on the terraces.
When society said enough was enough and when a silent minority slowly became a loud majority, that’s what changes attitudes (and laws for that matter) and that’s nothing to do with people “being offended on someone else’s behalf”.
It is however a a reflection of people that either didn’t have a voice in years gone by or a certain group of people being afraid to speak out now being able to drive change by highlighting attitudes and hate and feeling they should now stand up without prejudice

Racism, Sexism & Homophobia and social attitudes towards those subjects have changed because enough people stood up against something, not just because they want to be “offended on someone else’s behalf”

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Presumably the kid would be most offended by Lewis Hamilton offering him style or fashion advice. That would be very upsetting. Plank.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And to add, the person quoted as objecting to Hamilton is chairman of an anti bullying charity. If he hadn't made a comment then he should have been sacked. To make this out to be the whole of society going politically correct (or whatever) is as @hyperion says, exactly how it was in the 70s where, by objecting to casual racism, your average daily mail reading wanker would say 'how would you feel if your daugher brought one of them home?' and 'if one of them moved in next door it would be the smell of curry and jungle drums all day and all night' and 'they wanted buggery legalised, and next they will want it made compulsory'. FFS.

This is probably a generation thing, with sad old men (and the offspring they have indoctrinated) looking at the passing of another year and ralising they can't keep up with the modern world.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I think it is.

From an interview in Autosport. https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/3623/fangio-interview-with-a-legend

There was also his avoidance of the carnage at Tabac during the 1950 Monaco Grand Prix, the famous incident that prompted the 'reconstruction' film sequence at Rampoldi's. Fangio had led from the start followed by Luigi Villoresi, but behind him there was chaos as Farina spun, collecting Froilan Gonzalez and Luigi Fagioli. In an instant nearly a dozen cars were involved and the roads were completely blocked. On round his next lap rushed the Argentinian, unaware of the commotion behind. As the Alfetta left the chicane at normal pace and sped down to Tabac and apparent calamity, Fangio, without being able to see the accident, suddenly hit his brakes and brought the car to a halt just short of the road block. It seemed like sixth sense.

"No, it wasn't like that really. I was very lucky. There had been a similar incident in 1936 and I happened to see a photograph of it at the Automobile Club the day before the race. As I came out of the chicane, I was aware that there was something different with the crowd. I was leading, but they were not watching me. They were looking down the road. Instead of seeing their faces, I was seeing the backs of their heads. Something at Tabac was more interesting than the leader. And then I remembered that photograph and braked as hard as I could. It was very close."

Wikipedia references it and has all the race details

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The problem here is Twitter really, isn't it? What Hamilton said was clearly wrong, but because he chose to share his thoughts with the world, a private matter becomes public. Therefore he has to apologise publicly. I f###ing hate twitter etc for this reason. And for giving people like Trump a platform to continually post his crap.

As for those saying 'get a grip', have a watch of Robert Webb's interview about 'being a boy'. Very good watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think it is.

From an interview in Autosport. https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/3623/fangio-interview-with-a-legend

There was also his avoidance of the carnage at Tabac during the 1950 Monaco Grand Prix, the famous incident that prompted the 'reconstruction' film sequence at Rampoldi's. Fangio had led from the start followed by Luigi Villoresi, but behind him there was chaos as Farina spun, collecting Froilan Gonzalez and Luigi Fagioli. In an instant nearly a dozen cars were involved and the roads were completely blocked. On round his next lap rushed the Argentinian, unaware of the commotion behind. As the Alfetta left the chicane at normal pace and sped down to Tabac and apparent calamity, Fangio, without being able to see the accident, suddenly hit his brakes and brought the car to a halt just short of the road block. It seemed like sixth sense.

"No, it wasn't like that really. I was very lucky. There had been a similar incident in 1936 and I happened to see a photograph of it at the Automobile Club the day before the race. As I came out of the chicane, I was aware that there was something different with the crowd. I was leading, but they were not watching me. They were looking down the road. Instead of seeing their faces, I was seeing the backs of their heads. Something at Tabac was more interesting than the leader. And then I remembered that photograph and braked as hard as I could. It was very close."

Wikipedia references it and has all the race details

Thank you very much.
Yes that is the incident, scanning the report I posted 'poll to finish, accident behind him', naively I thought that was that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We are well on the way as a society to a destination yet to be determined.......

In 20 years or so, some people will be marrying their dogs or forming meaningful legally acceptable relationships with inanimate objects; no doubt at that time on Twitter successful sportsmen and women will fall into the same trap as Lewis.

Hopefully by then I will be dead.
Gave that a thumbs up - but not for hoping you'd be dead!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm sorry, but this attitude is a bigger part of the problem.

He said something to his nephew that reinforces gender stereotyping.
Not great, no. But not exactly the most terrible thing anyone from the LGBT community has ever heard.

People should be allowed to think what they want and even say what they want.
They may well be wrong, but that isn't the point.
You don't change people's minds, by forcing them to think like you.
In fact quite the opposite.

And they can, the difference is that he is saying this stuff on a public forum. With freedom of speech comes a responsibility to consider one's audience.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Christ on a bike. All you Daily Mail reading wankers need to dry up. The sum total of the 'politically correct' brigade who give the tiniest of a toss about this is "founder of anti-bullying charity Ditch the Label Liam Hackett ". I have never heard of him. Go find something real to wet your beds about. FFS.

Can I stereotype you please.

I think you're a sensible MAN of the World

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Christ on a bike. All you Daily Mail reading wankers need to dry up. The sum total of the 'politically correct' brigade who give the tiniest of a toss about this is "founder of anti-bullying charity Ditch the Label Liam Hackett ". I have never heard of him. Go find something real to wet your beds about. FFS.

Neither had I, but, he made the national news on a number of news outlets, thus making us all hear about him. No doubt, his opinion will be courted by media outlets in future as an authority on such matters, life is not as simple as you percieve, your dismissal of him is quite niaive.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
prada.png

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I think I know the incident.

He was coming up to a blind corner when something in his head told him to slow down. As he rounded the corner he came across a scene of carnage that had he been going full chat he would have been part of it.

It was only weeks later when he was trying to work out what had made him slow and he had replayed the incident in his head over and over he realised that the crowd weren't looking at him but round the corner.
That incident was exiting the tunnel at Monaco. He said later, the crowd weren't looking into the tunnel waiting for him but were looking as you say carnage by the harbour. In those days there were just straw bales between them and water. Scary.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here