Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Nothing in any of the usual outlets and plenty of other paper talk about Chelsea ins and outs so my guess is this is just a rehash of January’s approach rather than any new approach being made.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Abraham, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Tomori and Christensen are all of Chelsea's current homegrown players. I can't see any of them leaving this summer for that reason. They need at least another three for a complete 25 man squad. They have a few over 21 players who have been loaned out a lot in the past (George McEachran, Nathan Baker, Jamaal Blackman are the ones I've heard of), but I've no idea how close they are to the first team.

Chilwell and Pope could be two of those three players, but after spending £85m on Werner and Zychek, maybe another £80m on Havertz and then maybe £80-120m on Chilwell and Pope, I don't think they would have a large enough budget to get Dunk.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Abraham, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Tomori and Christensen are all of Chelsea's current homegrown players. I can't see any of them leaving this summer for that reason. They need at least another three for a complete 25 man squad. They have a few over 21 players who have been loaned out a lot in the past (George McEachran, Nathan Baker, Jamaal Blackman are the ones I've heard of), but I've no idea how close they are to the first team.

Chilwell and Pope could be two of those three players, but after spending £85m on Werner and Zychek, maybe another £80m on Havertz and then maybe £80-120m on Chilwell and Pope, I don't think they would have a large enough budget to get Dunk.

The two questions I would ask is: why, if the number of HGP is a problem, are Chelsea splashing out £160m on foreign players?

And

When you have the worst defence in the top half of the table, why is the club splashing out £160 on strikers and attacking midfielders?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
The two questions I would ask is: why, if the number of HGP is a problem, are Chelsea splashing out £160m on foreign players?

And

When you have the worst defence in the top half of the table, why is the club splashing out £160 on strikers and attacking midfielders?

It makes no sense to me either. You could say the same about Arsenal (third worst defence in the top ten after Chelsea and Burnley) making moves to sign Willian, Coutinho and a Portuguese forward.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

I can’t be the only one who thinks Chilwell is so over rated, the amount of times I’ve seen him get destroyed by a winger. All I hear is people raving about his delivery but all I see is rubbish defending. Maybe I’m old fashioned in that way, I always like a full back who can defend primarily.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

And

They appear to be doing it the Bournemouth way

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Outstanding club servant who deserves a shot at a top club and all that goes with that including a much better chance of more England caps. Can’t begrudge him the move at all if it does happen and will wish him well........no doubt it would mean an initial weakening of our defence but we seem to have an endless supply of CB talent so we’ll cope. The fee will be top dollar (can’t be less than Ake at £41m for starters) and hopefully used wisely. As for leaders, Lallana and Veltman seem to fit the bill pretty well.

Yea. And then you have Trossard, who was captain at Genk, and Maupay got obvious leadership personality. Mooy captained Huddersfield every now and then. It looks like the club is actively recruiting players not afraid of taking responsibility.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Dunk's loss would be far bigger than the centre-back hole he leaves. No idea why it's a time for change for us - absolutely none.

Not sure why so many think Clarke and White will be OK in this division. We have no evidence of that yet. I'm sure they will be - eventually. But on day one?

Tend to agree.

One thought could be with White (as yet unproven at the highest level) would be to let Leeds have him for 1 more season on loan, so he gains Prem experience with them (to see whether he could really cut it at the top level), so essentially they take all the risk in playing an unknown quantity for his first season at the top level.

We presumably could command a decent loan fee, Leeds give him his first taste of Premier League footy, and if he is successful then his value will then increase significantly and the following season we get a proven Premier League player back, and if he fails to develop the promise from this season in the Championship then at least we would get back a more experienced player for 2021/22.

With the relative depth we have in this department I don't think this would be such a bad idea, especially if Dunk did stay it's possible that White might only in his first season be a fringe/bench player. Who knows?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Nothing in any of the usual outlets and plenty of other paper talk about Chelsea ins and outs so my guess is this is just a rehash of January’s approach rather than any new approach being made.

This, nothing in the papers and normally big 6 club they would be all over it

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't like to lose him (obviously) but for the years he's put in here I would mainly be delighted for him to get the big move he deserves, and give him a nice big clap on his return.

Plus we'll get absolutely loadsamoney for him.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I can’t be the only one who thinks Chilwell is so over rated, the amount of times I’ve seen him get destroyed by a winger. All I hear is people raving about his delivery but all I see is rubbish defending. Maybe I’m old fashioned in that way, I always like a full back who can defend primarily.

I noticed this when Sarr of Watford left him for dead. He made Chilwell look very average.

I've just Googled 'Sarr,Chilwell' and this came up which nicely summarises what I thought I had seen.

https://allthingschelsea.blog/2020/06/20/ben-chilwell-scouting-report-vs-watford/

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

I know two Leicester regulars. They both think he is lucky to get a start for them...

Jimmy Grimble

Tend to agree.

One thought could be with White (as yet unproven at the highest level) would be to let Leeds have him for 1 more season on loan, so he gains Prem experience with them (to see whether he could really cut it at the top level), so essentially they take all the risk in playing an unknown quantity for his first season at the top level.

We presumably could command a decent loan fee, Leeds give him his first taste of Premier League footy, and if he is successful then his value will then increase significantly and the following season we get a proven Premier League player back, and if he fails to develop the promise from this season in the Championship then at least we would get back a more experienced player for 2021/22.

With the relative depth we have in this department I don't think this would be such a bad idea, especially if Dunk did stay it's possible that White might only in his first season be a fringe/bench player. Who knows?

Even if that were a possibility, we’d have to get White to sign a new contract first. Not a chance while he’s only got 2 years left.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Even if that were a possibility, we’d have to get White to sign a new contract first. Not a chance while he’s only got 2 years left.

Screenshot_20200804-093355_Chrome.jpg

Congratulations you're the 30,000 viewer on this thread :clap:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Not seen a whisper on this anywhere except twitter. It’s that time of year when Lewis normally gets a new, improved 5 year contract. Bearing in mind he is 29 this year could this be his chance of a last big contract? He certainly won’t get a 5 year deal at Chelsea, they just don’t go there. The grass isn’t always greener etc. and a 5 year deal with us may be more valuable to him bearing in mind how much tax he would pay.
I just don’t know and like others would wish him well if that’s what he wants. Only he knows that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
People fail to mention Murray when talking about plugging the Dunk leadership hole.

He is contracted next year and his leadership qualities from the bench, in the dressing room and in training are absolutely key to this. He could well be club captain if Dunk leaves with a deputy (such as the pair you mention) starting with the armband in most matches.

Can't see Murray getting any game time next season really other than the odd cameo here and there. Captain needs to be someone who is a regular starter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The club have an option on a 3rd year with White. Although I imagine on similar terms as he is on now - and for all parties might be best to secure a 4-5 year deal on bigger money

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here